Subsite Media folder - lots of js and css files generated

Subsite Media folder - lots of js and css files generated ---

I'm not sure what caused this, but only in the subsite media file. I found that sometimes pictures disappear from my subsite (can't display) and I thought it was the problem caused by smush pro (change png to jpg...) so I disabled the option.

Now, I just check the media file folder in the subsite - I found lots of css and js files and they shouldn't be there.. and these files are huge http://prntscr.com/ekijmo

I've opened the site for backend support access: i-buddha.com and if you checking the site's upload folder: public_html/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2017 you will see lots of them.

Please tell me whether the folder: public_html/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2017.... stores other useful files and not just USER upload files?

Regards,
SP Wong

• James Morris

Hello SP Wong,

I hope you are well today. Thank you for having Support Staff Login enabled so I could look into this further.

I'm seeing that you have our Hummingbird plugin installed. Hummingbird combines and minifies your JavaScript and CSS files into a single file, then places them in the uploads directory of your site, in the exact way you are seeing these files on your site.

With Support Staff Login enabled, I can see what plugins you have installed and such, but I cannot access the files on your server to inspect them further. However, from what you've shared in your screenshot, this very much looks like Hummingbird cache and should be fine.

If you are concerned, I'd be happy to look at these files further for you to give confirmation, but I would need access to your server to do so. If you would like me to do this, please visit the Contact page and complete the form with the following information:

Subject: "Attn: James Morris"

In the Message box, please provide the following:

- link back to this thread for reference
    - any other relevant urls

- Admin login:
    Admin username
    Admin password
    Login url

- FTP credentials
    host
    username
    password
    (and port if required)

Best regards,

James Morris

• SP Wong

Dear James,

Yes, I would like you to take a look, I think there is something wrong. For example in this folder:
    public_html/wp-content/uploads/sites/10/2017/03 one of my subsite lzs.i-buddha.com, over night it generates over 6M of css and js files in less than a day... while there is nothing major happen to this new site... http://prntscr.com/ekpm88

I will email you the credentials and atten to you.

Many thanks
    Andy

• James Morris

Hello SP Wong,

I apologize for the delay in replying. I had some difficulty accessing your hosting. But, once I got in I did a thorough review of your environment. Here's what I found:

* The CSS files in your uploads directory are compressed and minimized CSS files. Same goes for the JS files. Since you had Hummingbird installed, and these files look exactly like what I see on a test install using Hummingbird, my conclusion is that they were generated by Hummingbird.

6MB combined worth of CSS files may seem like a large number, but not with modern websites with a lot of plugins installed. I see you recently had 43 plugins installed. For any of those plugins that have front-facing pages, there is at least 1 CSS file, usually more. So, 6MB of combined CSS files total is not unheard of.

However, I see you have disabled Hummingbird, so I am unable to do any further evaluation on that point.

* Regarding your I/O and Memory spikes... You are getting a very large amount of traffic from a small number of sources. By going into AWSTATS through cPanel, I was able to determine that the top 10 unique IP addresses accessing your site were generating the majority of the traffic. For example, the top IP address has over 7,632 hits this month alone.

Next, I reviewed your CPU and Concurrent Connection Usage. What I'm seeing is that, over the last month, you have consistently maxed out or nearly maxed out your I/O, memory and CPU limits.

Finally, through phpMyAdmin, I checked the status of your MySQL server. What I'm seeing is several areas that need optimized for the load your site is presenting. You have an enormous amount of paging to disk and aborted connections. This is indicative of having too small of a server for the site you are running and not having your MySQL configuration optimized for the applications you are running. This also explains a good bit of your max I/O usage as MySQL is having to do a lot of paging to disk.

From the Status page:

That's 14.5 Million tmp tables which is extreme.

The above audit has suggested the following:

1. You most likely have some bad bots or malicious users accessing your site. You should consider enabling Defender or iThemes Security on your site and enable IP Banning. This is a first line of defense.

2. You should leverage a combination of Hummingbird, WP Fastest Cache and a CDN like Cloudflare.

** Hummingbird will optimize the CSS and JS delivery on your site as well as provide browser caching and Gzip compression.
    ** WP Fastest Cache will cache your pages as static HTML pages until updated, thus significantly reducing the number of MySQL queries needed to serve pages.
    ** Cloudflare will provide additional caching, as well further protection as they have a massive database of bad IPs that they block. And since they are a Content Delivery Network, their service ensures your site is always up.

Your other option would be to upgrade to about twice the hosting package you have now as your current package is significantly under-powered for the amount of load you're presenting.

I hope this clarifies a bit. Let us know if you have any further questions. We'll be happy to help! :slight_smile:

Best regards,

James Morris

• SP Wong

Thanks James,

I disable hummingbird and all other plugins because I want to test out what is causing the snapshot problem.

After I disabled all the plugins, I see the server activities come down, everything back to normal. Also, I can see all the css and js files in the uploads directory are all gone (is it normal?)

So, what you are saying is those css and js files in the uploading directory is normal, and should not worry about it, and they won't get out of hand...e.g. after a month there are over 200M of css and js etc...

Regards,
    Andy

• James Morris

Hello SP Wong,

After I disabled all the plugins, I see the server activities come down, everything back to normal. Also, I can see all the css and js files in the uploads directory are all gone (is it normal?)

Yes, the reason the load went back down is because the plugins were causing MySQL load which was slowing your server down, as indicated by the tests I ran. And yes, the caching CSS and JS files will not be generated after disabling Hummingbird.

So, what you are saying is those css and js files in the uploading directory is normal, and should not worry about it, and they won't get out of hand...e.g. after a month there are over 200M of css and js etc...

Correct.

Best regards,

James Morris

• SP Wong

Thanks James, now I think I have a clear picture of what hummingbird is what kind of file that generates.

There are many other "highly rated" wp speed up plugins out in the market, e.g. WP Rocket, it has the function (Minification & Concatenation) of css and js files.

Is it true that if I'm using hummingbird then I should not use any other wp acceleration plugin e.g. WP Rocket, and vice verse?

In my situation, can you advise which plugin I should use? (haha.... its a tricky question...)

Many thanks!

Andy

• James Morris

Hello SP Wong,

Many of our members have had good results using Hummingbird with WP Fastest Cache. You can generate static files with WPFC that significantly improve the performance of your site.

The main trick is to not enable like features in similar plugins. For example, if you enable Gzip in Hummingbird, don't enable it in WPFC. If you follow that simple rule of thumb, usually you can get by with using more than one performance plugin.

As with all things, it's always best to have a staging site and test things out thoroughly prior to rolling them out to production. :wink:

I hope this clarifies a bit.

Best regards,

James Morris

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.