Subsribers unable to access content

Hiya. In the past 3 days I’ve had 2 subscribers claim that they are not able to access the content right after subscribing. My transaction records show that they paid. The one thing that the 2 subscribers have in common is that no user name is coming up for them in the transaction record. What might be the problem here, and how can I help these customers of mine access the content?? Thank you for your time.

Aaron

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Aaron,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for your question.

Are they using the one time view, or are they subscribing for a recurring subscription or a daily pass?

Could you check the IPN response in PayPal please, in my account > history > IPN history and let me know the response code :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack. Thanks for your response. Both customers are using the recurring subscription option. In IPN history, for one of the customers, the transaction ID is 7SD24186WG083545F, and there are 2 message IDs; the first is 5M998893C78067637, and the second is 38S44290RC6308207. Is this what you are looking for? I can get you the same information regarding the other customer if you need. Thanks again.

Aaron

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Aaron,

Thanks for the additional information, I’m looking for more of HTTP response code, such as 200, 404 etc, PayPal also has specific error codes.

I’m not sure which country your in, but on some PayPal sites, such as the UK and US one, there should be a “details” link, that when clicked will provide the response code including the HTTP response :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack. Thanks for your continued help. I think I’ve understood your request. I’ve set the recurring subscription price for one of my problem subscriptions at 11 cents on paypal. Is that what you were asking for? The customer is I-Horng Huang, whose IDs I gave above.

Aaron

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

O.k. one thing, though. Keep in mind that not all of my subscribers are having this problem. I’ve had other subscribers sign up in between and after the 2 problem customers that are accessing the content just fine. Having said that, if you would like to try signing up to see what you can see, I can allow that, but I’d like for us to arrange a small time window (say 5 minutes), when my potential customers are not likely to see the changes. The easier option here would be for you to sign up whenever you like, and I’d just issue you a full refund immediately. Let me know what you think.

Aaron

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Aaron,

Hope you’re well today and thanks for the additional information.

That’s no problem :slight_smile: I’ve had a thought though as to what this may be, can you check with those two customers that when they came back to your site from PayPal, they clicked a confirm payment for ($amount), button.

As that button needs to be clicked to access the content, but the payment will have already technically gone through, if you could just double check that with them :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Kind Regards

Jack.

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack. Thanks for your response. I’ll ask these customers about this, but I’m thinking they may well not be able to remember. Assuming they did make this mistake, is there something that can be done (or is there something they can do) to right the issue? Thanks again.

Aaron

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

…Yeah, neither of my customers remembers exactly what happened between the paypal paying process and returning to the site, though one did mention that they may have missed the ‘confirm payment’ button. But this does sound like a good lead. So, if they did in fact do this, is there any way it can be fixed now?

Aaron

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

Hi Jack. The transactions are definitely complete. I've received their money, they're just not getting the content. The only clue I have as to why they're not getting the content is that in the transaction records the column showing 'User Name' is blank, whereas all my other subscribers have a user name show up. You can see this in the screenshot I've included. The top transaction is for a subscription but no user name. The bottom transaction is for a subscription and the user name is showing up as it should. I've managed to glean that the user name is probably coming from paypal, so it seems to be a paypal problem, but I'm not certain of this. Thanks again for your time.

Aaron

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

Yes. I’m assuming you mean their names and IDs on paypal, and not their names and IDs on the social network they signed up with. I have their names and 2 IDs for each: one is a profile ID for their subscription, and one is a recurring payment ID for paypal’s Express Checkout.

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

O.k. The 3rd missing transaction just happened today, so I hadn’t noticed it yet (the user hasn’t contacted me yet). Here are the names:

54L14773KM0098905 : Bryan Dixon

7SD24186WG083545F : I-Horng Huang

8VF917107U594251E : Gert Cloete

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

I fixed the first two, the third used and alias. That name doesn’t appear in the database. I suspect it’s “zhiyong_ban” login but can’t prove it.

Looks like everything was working fine from Dec 28 to Feb 4th and then you started getting errors. Anything change at about that time?

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

Thank you so much Arnold. I can’t think of anything significant I changed around Feb 4th. In any event, could you let me know how you fixed the problem, so I don’t have to bother you anymore with this issue?

Also, I now have another new recurring subscriber claiming they can’t access the site, but unlike the others his user name is showing up in my transactions page. He’s claiming his account is telling him his subscription expires today. Looking at the expiry dates in my transactions page, they’re very strange. It’s now showing all my subscriptions expire on either February 8th or 9th of 2014 (only three of them have other dates and they are all in January of this year). In addition, the transactions you fixed do not have expiry dates on them. What’s going on here?

Aaron

• Aaron
    • New Recruit

You mean I have the subscriptions set to expire after 1 day? This doesn’t make any sense. I have my subscriptions set up to be 1 year long, and that is in fact what is indicated in my Paypal account. (I changed the t3 code in pay per view [in my child theme] to read ‘value=”Y”‘ rather than ‘value=”D”‘ [you tutored me on how to do this in fact]), so while my settings page indicates subscriptions are 1 day, they are in fact set for 1 year. So that couldn’t be the problem.

Are the expiry dates in the transactions page supposed to reflect the day the subscription is to be renewed? If so, I have a big problem here. I thank you for your continued efforts by the way. I’ve extended the support grant, if you still need to look behind the scenes.

Aaron

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Ahh, that’s the problem. Yes changing to a Y will inform PayPal, but the subscription expiration stored by the plugin locally also needs to be reprogrammed. It doesn’t go out to PayPal every time you run a report to look up an expiration. So if the local store didn’t get changed too then it would get a “1” from the settiings and use Days as the duration. I’m pretty sure when I told you about the “Y” I said there were probably other places that needed changing and that if you update the plugin the changes would get wiped.

So PayPal won’t ask for another payment for a year but the plugin will expire after a day.

To fix it the ppw_subscribe metadata would need to change to a year and the current subscriptions would need to be updated to a year from the transaction date expiration.

I would need to get direct database access to try and fix this. CAn you send me your cPanel credentials? Send to arnold at incsub dot com

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.