Subtle but necessary changes to the Blogs MU theme

Change #1: Remove the One community multi-blogging solutions... text. Ii thought this was done by modifying the options-functions.php file but the changes don't seem to have taken.

Change #2: Add a Register / Login form in place of the network intro post text on the home page. Basically you'll see the same form you see on the Register page or something customized. I've tried hacking this and adding WP-Cycle but can't seem to find the right location. If anyone know if a Contact 7 form can be added I'd be really grateful.

Any responses appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there! :slight_smile:

Change #1: Remove the One community multi-blogging solutions... text. Ii thought this was done by modifying the options-functions.php file but the changes don't seem to have taken.

Go into your:

Admin --> Appearances --> Theme Options --> Home Settings

wp-admin/themes.php?page=options-functions.php

Down near the bottom you can change the text there "Your Network sub intro post text".

Change #2: Add a Register / Login form in place of the network intro post text on the home page. Basically you'll see the same form you see on the Register page or something customized. I've tried hacking this and adding WP-Cycle but can't seem to find the right location. If anyone know if a Contact 7 form can be added I'd be really grateful.

If you are looking to do some custom work on the theme, then you might find the following WP function useful:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_login_form

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Take care.

• nusolutions

1. Got it! Thanks!

2. So I could take a few of the functions listed here and insert them in the intro area? Would you, or anyone, happen to know specifically how or where to place this? For instance I'd like:

Username or Email here
    Password [Sign In] box to goes here

New to MySite? Register Below:
    Username
    Email Address
    Password
    Captcha
    [Sign up for MySite] box goes here.

Is this possible?

thanks

• Richie_KS

hi
    @login in frontend
    the blogs-mu already had the page-template-custom-login.php for page template although as tim suggested using wp_login_form() should be ok

@register in frontend
    this one a bit tricky which need customize work....registration process were handle via wp-login request and not going to work properly without hardcoded edited code.

have you tried include wp-signup.php
    you need absolute path for that something like

include_once ( $_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . '/wp-signup.php');

not sure if it'll work tho.

• Timothy Bowers

I can't get what should be considered some of the basic features in any of the available BP themes?
    A splash page with a customizable login / registration form.

I would be interested in see other BP themes which implement a admin customisable registration form as a basic features, I could then pass those ideas and feedback on to the developer for you.

Customisable forms really should be down to a plugin though, its changes the functionality of WordPress. For example Gravity Forms is an excellent example of a plugin which can make custom registration pages for you.

Thanks.

• nusolutions

Odd considering that, once again, this is a community designed by developers. Unless my search is crap I've yet to come across a splash plugin within the WordPress community. The one I did see appears to be a splash screen which I guess is now defunct:

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/splashscreen/

It's not like this isn't something that isn't needed within the WordPress community as more and more community based sites / networks are using the same format, user registration and confirmation before site access.
    I'll create a new post in the "?" forum to see if it gets a hit. Worse case I switch to an HTML5 theme.

• Timothy Bowers

I fully understand, I'd love to see more done for drop/window/splash pages.

There is a quick solution, although it would require a little bit of code.

You could create custom template in the theme, the template could take arguments such as time to redirect.

WP also has a function for redirect:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_redirect

You would then create a new page, enter content, a timer, etc. once saved and set live you would then go into the Reading settings and mark that as the default front page. This would load everytime they go to the home page though.

Another consider for splash screens I have seen people use, is through a jQuery in window popup. Something like our PopUp plugin would do that:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/the-pop-over-plugin

Its not the exact thing you are looking for, but they are a couple of options.

Of course please make a new feature request and we can see if it gains any traction in support from other members.

Take care.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey there. :slight_smile:

Sadly the best way with the least amount of updates required is really a child theme.

If you have only changed a few things, you could run a differential program to see whats been changed and if it affects the files you have manually changed. If it doesn't affect the files you changed (ie no new additions to those files in the update) then sure you don't need to overwrite them then.

Take care.