Successive failures since activating MultiSite Plugin Manager.

I resolved an issue in the capabilities.php file after getting a fatal error, but after that I got the error when accessing any of my domains (ie. <domain>/wp-admin):

You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

The front-end of the site is working fine, but the back-end login fails.

I've looked in quite a few forums, etc., but there's no clear way to even diagnose the problem.

Where do I start?

Thanks ... Michael

PS. I really want to use Multisite Plugin Manager, so hopefully the solution isn't to avoid using that plugin.

• MichaelScott
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the flowchart you sent me.

I found that I could restore access to /wp-admin by deleting the Multisite Plugin Manager plugin via FTP.

I thought I'd see if reinstalling and activating the plugin would result in the same failure and it sure did ... You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page.

So, for now, I'll leave the plugin alone (as I have 100+ active plugins running at my site).

Is there a way to find out if there are know plugin conflicts for Multisite Plugin Manager? I looked at the Support tab at http://wordpress.org/support/plugin/multisite-plugin-manager and found nothing there.

Thanks ... Michael

• MichaelScott

Hi Jack,

I don't have Pro Sites installed as I don't intend to charge $$$ for (Multisite) sites - but if it provides the same functionality as Multisite Plugin Manager, maybe I should use it. Any suggestions about that?

In regards to your second question, I haven't yet explored the capability to change users roles/capabilities? Any suggestions from you on that?

Thanks again Jack.

Best regards ... Michael

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Michael,

I hope you are well today and thanks for the additional information, in this case then perhaps Pro Sites won't really fit in, as it has a premium plugin and theme module, but that is for levels that aren't higher if that makes sense, so you might a free level, then a paid level with the paid plugins active :slight_smile:

For the user roles, I would personally recommend this plugin here http://wordpress.org/plugins/user-role-editor/

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV member and have a great weekend!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• MichaelScott

Hi Jack,

Thanks again for your response and the tip about User Role Editor.

I've done the full circle with the You do not have sufficient permissions to access this page. issue and I've found the culprit.

As recommended, I deactivated all of my plugins, reinstalled Multisite Plugin Manger and then reactivated the plugins, one by one.

The issue appeared again when I got towards the very end of my long plugin list ... WangGuard (which I've currently deleted from the site).

There is a post at http://wordpress.org/support/topic/multisite-plugin-manager-is-breaking-wangguard which talks about the issue, but Multisite Plugin Manager developer (and WPMU Dev staffer) Aaron Edwards hasn't responded to yet. Should I post to Wordprress.org as well, or could this message be passed on to Aaron via WPMU Dev?

Thanks for your help on this Jack. I've learned a lot in the process.

Thanks, and best regards ... Michael

• MichaelScott

Hi Jack,

I came across another forum post that recommends using the download of an alternate Multisite Plugin Manager plugin version from this link:

https://github.com/wp-repository/multisite-plugin-manager/archive/master.zip

Does that sound right to you and is there a way - other than installing and testing it - that it is the right version to use? If so, what happens with subsequent releases of the primary Multisite Plugin Manager plugin?

Thanks, and best regards ... Michael

• Jack Kitterhing
    • Code Norris

Hi there Michael,

I hope you are well today and sorry for the extreme delay with my response.

Thanks for the additional information, I'm unaware if Aaron is maintaining development of the multisite plugin manager, as it hasn't been updated in a while.

I also saw that at github, that is a fork, someone else has done of the plugin, it appears that particular version doesn't have problems with other problems, so for now I'd recommend using that, Aaron is away at the moment, but when he gets back I'll ask him about it :slight_smile:

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.