Suggested Themes to use with Communities? Any working examples?

Hi!
I'd like some guidance for using "Communities"... Can you recommend any suitable themes (either from wpmudev or outside), and also point me towards working examples of this plugin... I feel like I am flying blind here.
Peter

• Nahid

Hey peterlurie !
    Hope you are having a great day!

cotr is right, the Communities plugin is intended to work just for the administration panel of your WordPress site. It is built with an intention to keep the system light-weight without converting to a complete social network like BuddyPress. Well, if you want some themes for your WordPress admin panel, you can refer to this blog post.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Best,
    Nahid.

• peterlurie

Hi COTR & Nahid:
    Thanks for both your useful emails.
    I have great difficulty on this site because it assumes that I would instantly know that this is a backend feature to be added to a complex (MU) setup.
    I only have worked in WordPress Vanilla (non MU) and actually signed up for this subscription because of this feature. Seems like I made an expensive decision if my core feature does not provide what I am looking for.
    Oh well... back to the drawing board.
    Could either of you steer me to any other solutions: THis is what I need:
    1) The ability to set up Forums for different SIGs within a Training-oriented non-profit operating in 4 countries around the world, with facebook-like threading, social media capability, notepads & sidebar announcements, document repositories related to each 'forum' with core documents or working docs, and wikis. We potentially would like to have document management systems like Easy Digital Downloads or other WP-based plugins, and cross-link with whatever Forum system we implement.
    2) I liked the idea of being able to clone/replicate as MU, because we potentially need many, separate platforms for the area of interest, National Steering Committees, local Committees, Trainers, Mentors, Student questions.
    3) Without experience of BBpress, BuddyPress and commercial special plugins... I am out of my depth in making a qualified choice.

I would understand if you laugh me off, but some nudges in the right direction would be really appreciated.
    Best, Peter

• Nahid

Hey peterlurie !
    Hope you are doing well today!

I'm really sorry about the matter that you couldn't find the functionalities you were looking for in the plugin.

Regarding the description about the system you mentioned, I'd like to suggest you to start with bbPress and BuddyPress. You'll need couple of add-ons, for example, additional plugins like Document Management Systems, Announcement Plugin and a Powerful bbPress/BuddyPress Wiki plugin.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance regarding this. Thanks!

Best,
    Nahid.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.