[Suggestion] Loyalty Discount Program

I was reading through the forum and came across a post mentioning they wouldn’t be able to continue their membership and were concerned about what plugins they could safely use after their membership lapsed.

Since I’m working for a nonprofit and currently reaching in my own pockets for membership fees, I may also be in the same boat soon. Therefore, I would like to offer the following suggestion for your consideration —

Given that we’re in a recession (in the U.S. and elsewhere), it would be great it you could provide a “Loyalty Discount Rate” for the next 6 months (or more). This would be most beneficial for those members who are on the more expensive month-to-month plan.

For example, if an individual has been a member for, let’s say, three months, then they would be given a loyalty discount of $5-$10 (or more) if they renewed their membership, at the same level or higher. (Any number of variations on this could be made; i.e., by membership level, by length of membership, by Reputation points, by promotional offer, etc., etc.)

This would benefit WPMUDEV in several ways: enhance customer relations/customer loyalty, soothe ruffled feathers (of those who are frustrated over plugin integrations, etc.), create overall goodwill, and last, but not least, generate ‘some’ income by preventing membership lapses.

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

I fully understand your situation and your ideas are very welcome. They are certainly interesting and something we’ll take on board and look at.

We do offer one incentive scheme, which is the lifetime membership for over 1,000 rep points. What you’re suggesting may well be a tiered version of that.

I’ll put your comments to some of the guys here.

Thanks!

Phil

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@phil:

I think the reputation system is perfect – I like the fact that a person has to earn a lifetime membership not buy it.

It, builds a community that shares their collective knowledge, thereby shortening the time it would have taken to reach the point of destination. Well something like that. lol

And when I say earn, I don’t mean it in a wierd way.

I’m here, reading topics etc anyway, if I see somebody needs some help or something. What’s a few minutes giving them the answer – I love the fact that if I need some help, somebody will offer up a solution – irrelevant of if I’m paying for it or not. Besides, it makes me feel all warm inside when someone gives me some rep points. Means I helped someone out because I wanted too, not because I had too and they gave me points because they wanted too, not because they had too.

What’s the word? Community :slight_smile:

@avonnes:

If you’re browsing the forum from time to time – take a few minutes and help someone out. The rep points pile up fast and furious :wink:

Soon, you won’t have to worry about paying anything… that seems like a pretty good deal to me. Besides you build a connection with a few folks that will (hopefully) go out of their way to come to your aid when you call on them. And the internet changes so fast – it helps when everyone is an open book of info :slight_smile:

Jonathan

• avonnes
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

@jonathan:

I agree with you about the reputation system; a few weeks ago I was hovering at 5. I’m working on doing my part. But, please don’t misunderstand the fact that I would like to see WPMUDEV test a ‘tiered” alternative (say, for a 30-day period) to see if it helps them in any way. Paying it forward feels good, too!

• Jonathan
    • The Incredible Code Injector

@avonnes,

I understand where you’re coming from – it’s darn hard funding something from your own pocket, harder still if the funding doesn’t return a profit as is your case (non-profit). Take my hat off to non-profits.

And as for your recommendation – If wpmudev makes more money by charging us less – I’m all for it – count me in :wink:

Jonathan

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

Thanks for your input here guys. We also run several coupons throughout the year as well as competitions and drawings where folks win anywhere from 1 year to a lifetime membership for free. If you’re not subscribed to wpmu.org or following them on twitter (@wpmuorg) then you totally should.

We announce all of our options there – we recently ran a special for over 60% off the annual membership. I actually think James (our CEO) is crazy generous with the amount of giveaways and coupons we run – but it’s his call :slight_smile:

The reputation system also has worked very well. Jonathan’s been rockin’ it for a couple weeks and we have all taken notice. Several folks have achieved the 1000+ mark and when I see somebody in the quadruple digits asking for help, I know I can’t help but give them a little extra attention :slight_smile:

Anyway, none of that means we won’t consider something like this, just that we do already have several things in place – and finally, you can always drop us an email. Never any harm in asking :wink:

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.