Suggestion of a translation overview

Hi there,

I started working on some translations (https://premium.wpmudev.org/translate/projects)

Translations are not easy without a preview of the result. Words, sentences and expressions do not have the same meaning depending on the context. The WPMU interface for translation does not offer a preview of the whole document (Even for partial work).

I do not know if I missed it or if it is simply actually not possible:
Can we have a translation preview as a whole?

Thank you,
Laurent.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Laurent,

I hope you're well today! I really appreciate your work with translation, it's great to have such an involved and committed member in our community!

Previewing translation in a "real-environment" context would be pretty difficult to offer. If I understand you correctly, we would have to create some kind of a sandbox for each and every plugin/theme, at the same time keeping it "user independent" (so the translators wouldn't get in their ways).

There's however another option. You can simply download the available translation just like you'd in order to use it on your WordPress site, install that particular plugin (or better yet - setup a simplest WP install with only that plugin installed) and translation and use it to preview the results.

In this case however, you'd have to switch from our interface to PoEdit. Here's more information on this:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/how-to-translate-a-wordpress-plugin/

If you have any further questions, please ask. I'll be glad to help!

Cheers,
    Adam

• lol

Hi Adam,

Indeed, it is easier to make my own sandbox.
    So I'll now work in this way. For some plugins, it's a bit annoying: User sync requires for example master and a slave site, but nothing is too good for our great community .... :slight_smile:

I finished the translation of User Sync in French earlier. Should we make an announcement, just wait until someone goes and checks my work, what's next ?

Is there a place to find the statistics of translation requests to focus on the most requested themes or plugins ?

Thank you and have a good day (night ?)!
    Laurent.

• Adam Czajczyk

Hey Laurent!

I hope you're well today (night?) :slight_smile:

I see you made an announcement already which is great! Let all members of our community know that there's a new translation available. Good work!

As for the translation requests, I think you should simply keep an eye on our Features and Feedback forum (https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/forum/feature-suggestions), though often translation requests are also posted on forums associated with particular products.

The best strategy here IMHO would be to simply translate those plugins that you like the most :slight_smile:

I hope that helps!
    Cheers,
    Adam

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.