Suggestions for new "Membership" site...

Hi WPMU Dev Members,

I wanted to reach out and ask for some suggestions / fresh perspective on a new membership project I'm starting. For now, I'm using "cars" for my examples below.

------------------------------
Basic Project Info:

New membership site with at least a couple levels of access (i.e. free, enthusiast, pro). Basically, members will have the ability to create posts about "cars" they either like or own. Along with basic descriptive text, members can upload (up to XX amount) of photos, that will accompany the post.

Since this is a niche community based site, other members will, of course, be able to vote and comment on each others posts. In addition, admin users would need the ability to select "the best" posts, for inclusion on the homepage "showcase / slider".

In the future, I expect to give each "pro" member the ability to list "products" for sale. I'm still in the process of defining the list of member benefits.

Considering the community aspect of the site, a "member map", showing the location of current members would be great (I've searched and found a couple solutions, but haven't decided on the best fit yet). In addition, I'll be offering partner advertising, that I expect will be category based.

Lastly, I'd like a directory for both individual and business members (and the map).
---------------------------------------

Although I don't see the need to setup MultiSite yet, I'm wondering if it would be better to do it now, so I don't have to convert it in the future. Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions. Just looking for some fresh perspectives.

Regards

BlueNet

• Kimberly

Hello BlueNet!

It sounds like you are off to a great start with your site planning!

Membership will definitely help you get it started and will be a great framework for what you are trying to do! And for voting you can use our Post Voting Plugin out of the box :slight_smile:

Setting up Multisites is definitely a hard decision but will help you with your expansion possibilities. For instance, you talk about possibly letting your members sell things, which our Marketpress ecommerce would be great for (runs on single install and multisite), you will need to decide if you want to sell for them, allow them to sell through you and track orders or use their own. If you want to give them their own sites then you will need multisite. However we can make all of this easy to manage with our ProSites plugin. It lets you control access and limits your users to specific plugins or posting parameters based on their level of membership.

And we've got tons of cool tools to help you in between! Everything from In Post Ads to Blog Directories to Forums, even Affiliate Management (you mentioned partner advertising!), my favorite thing to do is go to the plugin tab above and type in a keyword on the plugins page. Everything associated with that key pops up, plugin heaven :slight_smile:

We also have a couple social plugins that could help you with your directories, these would vary specific to your needs.

Have you checked out Buddypress? It creates a network where your members can create classified ads, vote, friend and chat with other members, post blogs and it works with the majority of our plugins!

Let me know what you think!

Best,

Kimberly

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.