Suggestions for the Directory plugin

I recently tried using the directory plugin for a project but found that it was far too restricted in the customising area. Rather than just mumble a few mild expletives and move on to something else I thought it might be a bit more productive to discuss why I felt it wasn't suitable for the project I had in mind.

1. CSS inheritance. The plugin uses the CSS from the active theme - which is totally a sensible thing to do in order to have it integrate nicely into a site - but there is no 'custom stylesheet' option. This caused me a problem because the category titles are set as H2 which is way too big in the theme I currently use.

Suggestion: Offer the ability to apply a custom stylesheet OR have a settings page where you can set the size, colour etc of things such as catergory headings, listing heading, listing text etc.

2. Listing layout. My project is a business directory and I installed Custompress to handle additional fields. The additional fields are links to social networks, so it would be nice to be able to customise how and where those additional fields are displayed.

Suggestion: Have shortcodes for all of the listing fields and the ability to use them in a 'single listing' page that then becomes the template for all listings.

I don't mind digging around under the hood of a plugin but in this case it would probably take too much effort to make it just how I want it. I think my suggestions would be welcomed by quite a lot of people and would place this plugin ahead of other commercial products. Don't get me wrong - I do think this is the best directory plugin available but there are a couple of theme based products that are a bit more versatile right now.

• Kimberly
    • Champion of Loops

teckyhead

Thanks for the suggestions, I will pass them along to the developer :slight_smile:

We all agree that this plugin has alot more potential, however, it's nice to keep in mind that it's just recently went through an overhaul! :slight_smile:

We are glad to have the basics finally working as they should and we are looking forward to what the developer can do to take this to the next level! Your suggestions are VERY much appreciated!

Thanks for being such a great part of the WPMUdev Community :slight_smile:

Best

Kimberly

• Arnold
    • El Macho WP

Suggestion: Offer the ability to apply a custom stylesheet OR have a settings page where you can set the size, colour etc of things such as catergory headings, listing heading, listing text etc.

There is a ui-front/style.css stylesheet which is used for styling the directory entries. For example the grid and list for the categories shortcode.

Suggestion: Have shortcodes for all of the listing fields and the ability to use them in a 'single listing' page that then becomes the template for all listings.

There is a "ui-front/general/single-listing.php" template which will let adjust the listing display. And the CustomPress that comes with Directory has shortcodes for embedding in templates or posts,sidebars or anywhere you can expand a shortcode. Look at the Custom Fields Embed code for each specfic field.

• teckyhead
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I get that there are some options and as a developer myself I could have spent the time to dig through the code and change things. That would have worked fine until the next plugin update which could quite possibly overwrite any changes I make in ui-front/style.css and/or some of the PHP files.

Sometimes it just isn't practical to alter code or, as in my case, something I don't want to do as it would mean that I would have to check whether I need to re-apply my changes each time the plugin is updated. The other problem with that approach is that there are many people who aren't developers so altering CSS and/or PHP code isn't an option for them.

Anyways, they are only suggestions and I do realise that a lot of work has been done on the plugin in recent times. Making it so that it wasn't tied to a theme was a major improvement that brings this plugin a step closer to being head and shoulders above the other plugins that are available.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.