Summary of needs, and a couple new recommendations

Hi Cole,

Merely for consolidation and to rehash a couple suggestions from a while back that might have been overlooked, here's my current list of recommendations. Everything looks great right now, minus a couple things, and I'm sure everyone would find great utility in:

1. Zero supporters displays plural label. This is grammatically incorrect.

2. In Fundraiser Panel Widget, give option to display t-minus one, two, three, and four (or beyond) active Fundraisers. This will be particularly useful on a homepage with four Fundraiser Panel widgets displayed horizontally and can dynamically display each of the four soonest-to-end fundraisers. This feature should not display fully-funded or concluded Fundraisers.

3. Shortcode Donate Button text does not seem to match Action Name

4. Make the "none" button visibility an optional toggle on/off in settings. At present, the only way to accomplish this is by commenting in template-functions.php.

5. Make variable pledge amounts an optional toggle on/off in settings. When enabled, the plugin should not display the custom donation label and text field for variable pledge amount. At present, the only way to accomplish this is by commenting in template-functions.php. This recommendation will be useful to users posting fundraisers with goals and only wish to receive pledges of specific amounts.

--> #1 and #2 are very important to me, especially if you wrote the Widget to display as deep as the soonest 100 fundraisers to end. That way, an entire page full of the Fundraiser Panel Widget can self-update, save a lot of time, and reduce errors. I do display four on my index page and it would be super clean and useful to have this feature added to the Widget.

I propose you post your current to-do list with Fundraising so we can all help prioritize, or maybe even post solutions! Please let me know what you think of #2, above, and how likely you are to do it.

I considered also recommending a tabular version of all active fundraisers with buttons/links to pledge, but I'll get it as far as I can with what we have here and then post my results so you can include (or make fixes to accommodate) it.

Best,

Danny

• dannyo

Here's the fix for the singular/plural problem. Cole, please implement right now, so it is present in your upcoming version.

In template-functions.php, add "<" in the backer total check. That's it. I've tested it. The change tells the plugin that anything *other than* 1 is plural.

$content .= '<div class="wdf_total_backers"><div class="wdf_big_num">'.$backer_total.'</div><p>'.apply_filters('wdf_backer_label', ($backer_total <> 1 ? esc_attr($settings['donation_labels']['backer_plural']) : esc_attr($settings['donation_labels']['backer_single'])) ).'</p></div>';

• Cole

Hey dannyo, thanks for the code here.

And I had forgotten about the <> shorthand you used there. Super pro! Let me talk about those bullet points above quickly.

1. Got that fixed up for 2.2
    2. Explain a bit more, your talking about a special fundraiser query function based on fundraisers ending date?
    3. Can you confirm this with 2.1.9? Located here https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/fundraising-219-rc
    4. I'm lost on this, you want an option to remove the backer button?
    5. Reasonable request, I like the idea too.

So fundraising is currently be developed in two branches. The first is the current version 2.1.9 that includes bug fixes and minor feature releases. I am also working on a much more robust version that will allow the public to create fundraisers using their own paypal credentials while a % fee is still taken by the site owner. A list is way to long to post and I feel like it would be torture for the people who have been waiting for this major functionality for quite awhile.

Thanks for your active role in feature suggestion as well as killer code. As we get closer to the 2nd branch and these major functionality updates I will make a big thread for prioritization and beta versions etc.

• dannyo

Cole, hopefully I adequately described #2 -- this one is my highest priority.

1. Thank you. Awesome.

2. Ok, so say you make a page full of Fundraiser Panel widgets (literally -- lots of them). At present, the options are random or specific. There is no way to force the order of them. The only way to maintain the order is to log in and edit each individual Panel widget. When one fundraiser ends, or a new one added, etc., the work involved in maintaining that page is super tedious.

My recommendation is to add a third option to the Fundraiser Panel widget (in addition to random or specific) where the fundraiser displayed is based on some criteria in the database; specifically, the ending date of the fundraiser. In this third option -- maybe call it "t-minus" -- the dropdown should be rather long, containing choices like "1st to end", "2nd to end", "3rd to end", etc., all the way to maybe 99.

The benefit of adding this third option in selecting which fundraiser is displayed using the Panel widget is that (1) the pages containing those widgets will be dynamic, (2) no risk of duplicates exists, (3) fundraisers can be added/removed/edited without the need to repeat that process for the widgets themselves and (4) expired or completed fundraisers won't be displayed (notes about that below).

More specifically, my index page contains four Panel widgets horizontally and a separate page contains a lot (~50) of Panel widgets in a catalog style. It is a huge nuisance to edit and reorder all of those Panel widgets each time a fundraiser concludes or the ending date is modified. On my index page are the four fundraisers ending soonest, in order, and on the separate page they are all in the same order of soonest to end. Without diligent maintenance the site looks ill-maintained.

Regarding disposing of expired or completed fundraisers, in addition to the third option in the Panel widget I also recommend adding yet a fourth option where "ended fundraisers" may be displayed -- which might be useful on a whole different page to showcase all of the completed ones (provided they haven't been purged yet) and, just as the "t-minus" option, can be configured to display in some sort of order .. like, according to how long ago the fundraisers ended. With this, it might be interesting to keep completed fundraisers in the database for a long time so visitors can see some proof of activity on the site.

3. No, sorry, I can't confirm; I haven't installed 2.1.9 and will probably wait until 2.2 anyway.

4. One of the reward choices is "none" so I have been commenting it out. I find it a little weird to even be there but maybe I don't understand its purpose. In template-functions.php I have been removing:

$content .= '
    <div class="wdf_reward_item">
    <div class="wdf_reward_choice"><input type="radio" name="wdf_reward" value="none" /></div>
    <div class="wdf_reward_description">'.apply_filters('wdf_no_reward_description',__('None','wdf')).'</div>
    </div>';

• Cole

2. Yea this is one of the biggest things I struggle with. I get a lot of different feature requests for different ways of addressing this. I think I'm leaning towards a pre-made archive template that you can change the display settings using the settings panel. I've even considered a customized panel builder with a preview. Those things would actually be separate features because the panel display is actually meant more for single fundraising pages.

4. Ahh I see, I think a simple option for allowing the panel to have the "none" option or not could be a strong feature. Could be something to consider for the "panel builder" idea above. The point of it was to allow someone to donate to a cause without having to recieve some sort of reward if they didn't want it. I found similar functionality in kickstarter and thought it would be advantageous to include.

If you want to stay away from altering the template-functions.php file you could use css instead.

.wdf_reward_choice input[value=none] {
        display: none;
    }
  • dannyo

2. I see your different approach options. Configuring through the Panel widget may be the most direct way to be dynamic and lead to even more versatility down the road, like categorizing the fundraisers too. If you put out a template page, it's going to require everyone to tweak that file to our liking, which is fine, but since the tweaking is already being done to the look/feel of the Panel widget I think it may make more sense to build on what's already there.

Thanks a lot for the CSS for reward_choice input. I've got it in there now with a comment to see how it works once I install an update!

Is there any chance you can post the entire laundry list for this plugin?

• dannyo

Cole, thanks again for posting that CSS recommendation. After updating to 2.19 tonight I did try it before commenting it out in template-functions.php.

The CSS you posted didn't hide enough for my liking, so I went further and did this:

.wdf_reward_choice input[value=none] {
    }

.wdf_reward_description {
    }

.wdf_reward_item {
    }

But I still don't like it. It certainly works but it hides more than I want it to. I recommend pulling the 'None' option from your code entirely. Who would contribute "nothing" to a Fundraiser, anyway? :wink:

Here's what I will continue to comment out:

/*
    $content .= '
    <div class="wdf_reward_item">
    <div class="wdf_reward_choice"><input type="radio" name="wdf_reward" value="none" /></div>
    <div class="wdf_reward_description">'.apply_filters('wdf_no_reward_description',__('None','wdf')).'</div>
    </div>';
    */

Thank you very much -- truly -- for offering that CSS tip. I'm sure someone else will find it more useful than me.

• Clyde

Wish list in order of importance:

1) An option to set payment processing info (paypal and the others) at a Super-Admin only level.

We will have hundreds of people raising funds for our nonprofit in their own fundraising "teams" In this scenario a fightsarcoma.org subscriber could make a subscriber.fightsarcoma.org site to recruit their friends and family to reach a giving goal. However, a site-admin should only be able set up appearance and type of fundraiser not payment info as the donations must go into the foundation's account.

2) I hope I read correctly that withholding payments until the goal is reached is only an option. I need donations to process immediately regardless if the goal is reached.

I would be more than happy to participate creating a spec if @Cole was to post his "to-do list". As the director of a nonprofit I may have some different light to shed on the project.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.