Super admin only in Wp admin are

I know it is possible to restrict dashboard access to admins only in a multisite Wp, but can You also restrict to superadmin only. And a different question. I see the WPMU dashboard plugin use some resurces and to increace speed I consider removing the dashboard plugin. Will is still be possible to upgrade the WPMU plugins from inside Wp, or from a rente service like Wp infinity/ mange Wp?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

Hey there Bjorn,

hope you're doing good and thanks for reaching us! :slight_smile:

I know it is possible to restrict dashboard access to admins only in a multisite Wp, but can You also restrict to superadmin only.

Blog admins and super admin users, both can be added under WPMUDEV -> Manage -> Permissions [box]

I see the WPMU dashboard plugin use some resurces and to increace speed I consider removing the dashboard plugin. Will is still be possible to upgrade the WPMU plugins from inside Wp, or from a rente service like Wp infinity/ mange Wp?

As described here https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/
    our Dashboard plugin is necessary not only for you to perform updates of our products but also to use our services like The Hub, the "Pro" part of Smush plugin, Snapshot's Managed Backups etc.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Bjorn
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I was a bit unclear in the questions. I am refering to the general Wp dashboard(wp bakend), not the WPMUdev plugin.
    I know the WPMUdev dashboard is connected to the HUB and all the services.
    But if I decide to drop the plugin, will I then have to dowload Zipped files and install updates for my WPMUdev manualy?

• Dimitris
    • Support Star

I was a bit unclear in the questions. I am refering to the general Wp dashboard(wp bakend), not the WPMUdev plugin.

So you need your subsite admins to have no access in backend pages, is that right?
    This should be easy to implement either via editing his capabilities with a plugin like User Role Editor or redirect them to frontend pages as described in a blog post of our own here
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/limit-access-to-your-wordpress-dashboard/

References: https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-manual-2/introduction-to-super-admin-user/
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities

I know the WPMUdev dashboard is connected to the HUB and all the services.
    But if I decide to drop the plugin, will I then have to dowload Zipped files and install updates for my WPMUdev manualy?

That's true, you should manually download and upload our plugins.

Warm regards,
    Dimitris

• Bjorn
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Ok, if I use is super_admin in this code it will work:

add_action( 'init', 'blockusers_init' );
    function blockusers_init() {
    if ( is_admin() && ! current_user_can( 'administrator' ) &&
    ! ( defined( 'DOING_AJAX' ) && DOING_AJAX ) ) {
    wp_redirect( home_url() );
    exit;
    }

The ting is that wordpress automatically assigns the admin role if a user starts a blog...

When It comes to the Wpmudev dashboard, what if I choose a managed hosting lig Getflywheel that updates the plugins. Will the managed service get notice when there is a update, is there any kind of API the can be used?

Also will the securety be reduced when there the WPMU dachboard is installed?
    are all commuinication encrypted?

• Predrag Dubajic
    • Support

Hi Bjorn,

Super admin is a separate role so you can do that as a condition as well, for example:

if ( !is_super_admin() ) {
    	// Do my thing
    }

Also will the securety be reduced when there the WPMU dachboard is installed?
    are all commuinication encrypted?

All communications are encrypted and there's no impact on security by using WPMUDEV Dashboard.

Even without the dashboard you will receive update notifications but you will not be able to perform the update without it.
    For plugins like Smush you can however define your API Key inside your wp-config.php file with this:
    define('WPMUDEV_APIKEY', 'API_KEY');

Just replace the API_KEY and that should be it.

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.