Support for Donncha's WordPress MU Domain Mapping?

Hi, this is a great plugin with one glaring problem - not sure how to work around.

We offer customers the ability to have their own domain names which we facilitate through Donncha's WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin.

The problem we have is that when Simple Sitempas creates the sitemap, it does it using using customerblog.domain.com references. This creates a sitemap that doesn't really reinforce the value of the customer's own domain and we are getting customers complaining that we are building the value of our domain at the expense of theirs. Worse, some of our customers are hiring "independent" so-called SEO experts who are pointing at this and saying we aren't really helping them because of this.

It would be better if the plugin could "see" domain mapping enabled and then substitute the primary domain into the sitemap so that it would be customerblog.com instead.

Is there a way to do this that I'm missing? Thanks for your help!

• DavidM

Hi johnol,

I haven't used that plugin in quite a while now so I'm not sure if there's a similar option, but the Domain Mapping plugin provided here provides an "Administration mapping" option in the network admin settings as illustrated here:

And I believe that's the setting that lets you use your mapped domain name in the sitemaps. Does that other plugin provide something to that effect?

For that matter, the Domain Mapping plugin could potentially solve that if you'd be willing to switch over.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping

And just to add, the Infinite SEO plugin has sitemap capabilities as well, so one more possible option to try out.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-seo

-David

• johnol

OK, following up on this - if I switch to your domain mapping plugin, how do I specify which domain is "primary" - I don't see that in the admin demo video. With Donncha's plugin, if a customer has 10 domains, we can specify which is "primary" to ensure that it receives the most attention from an SEO perspective.

As for the Infinite SEO, does it's sitemap feature also auto-submit to Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask when the site is updated like this plugin does?

Likewise, does Infinite SEO play nicely with Headspace2?

Thanks!

• johnol

Because some folks register several domains that they may or may not use. An example is the practice where you grab the .com, .net, and .org with the same name. You would want all pointing to the same site in this example. There is no "duplicate" content, at least with Donncha's plugin because the primary site is indicated and the secondary sites are essentially "redirected" to the primary site.

• Timothy Bowers

Hi Johnol

Because some folks register several domains that they may or may not use. An example is the practice where you grab the .com, .net, and .org with the same name. You would want all pointing to the same site in this example. There is no "duplicate" content, at least with Donncha's plugin because the primary site is indicated and the secondary sites are essentially "redirected" to the primary site.

What Barry is saying, is that when domains are pointed and mapped to one main domain, it offers no SEO benefit, in fact if multiple domains work on a site rather than just being forwarded in then Google will see it as duplicate content and you could be marked down for that, thus lowering your rank in search results.

Because of that domain forwarding is usually left to be managed with cPanel, or at DNS level rather than mapping them to one domain.

I understand the need for brand protection with domain names, we purchase up multiple TLDs for our brands as well. We create separate websites for them though, all with unique but cross referencing content.

For multiple domains, add to your wp-config.

define('DOMAINMAPPING_ALLOWMULTI', 'yes');

As for the Infinite SEO, does it's sitemap feature also auto-submit to Google, Yahoo, Bing, Ask when the site is updated like this plugin does?

As far as I'm aware they both work in the same way.

Likewise, does Infinite SEO play nicely with Headspace2?

I wouldn't know about Headspace2, not something as I use. But looking at the plugin it does a similar thing to Infinite SEO.

Have you seen any issues when testing?

• johnol

I wanted to follow up on this as I think this is important.

After doing further research I discovered that this plugin uses whatever domain info it finds when it first runs and never updates itself.

So, if it initially generates a sitemap for blogdomain.sitedomain.com it will always use that url info in the sitemap when a new page / content is added.

If you manually go into the wp-content/blogs.dir/site#/files directory for the site and manually delete the sitemap.xml, the plugin will regenerate the sitemap.xml file when the sitemap is called again.

At that point, if a domain has been assigned (even using Donncha's WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin) it will *properly* generate the sitemap.xml file and utilize the appropriate domain info.

To me this is a problem. The plugin should automatically adjust itself whenever new content is added and shouldn't require the manual deletion of the sitemap.xml file to correct the issue.

Any suggestions on how to address this without manually deleting sitemap.xml information would be greatly appreciated.

• Timothy Bowers

Hey again.

At that point, if a domain has been assigned (even using Donncha's WordPress MU Domain Mapping plugin) it will *properly* generate the sitemap.xml file and utilize the appropriate domain info.
    To me this is a problem. The plugin should automatically adjust itself whenever new content is added and shouldn't require the manual deletion of the sitemap.xml file to correct the issue.

I see what you mean. So when a domain is mapped you would expect it to trigger a re-index of the sitemap.xml.

Do I understand that correctly?

I'll pass this feedback onto the plugin developer.

Thanks.