Support system disappeared from admin menu

Hello,

I've had your support system plugin installed for a week now and just noticed that the support menu has disappeared from the nav for all levels. Not even an admin can see it, only super admins. Any ideas? I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling but that did not help. The site can be reached here: http://myspba.com/members.

You guys have a login:

user: ****
pass: ****

If you could take a look that would be great.
Thanks,

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Whoa there John! I hope you don't mind my masking your username/password there! Didn't want you getting some wayward folks logging into your admin area as this part of the forum is a public place.

I'll take a look into the matter to see what I can find but to start with, have you made any changes lately like installing any new plugins?

Thanks,
    David

• johnetec
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Man you guys are great! Thanks for the masking... I was not sure how to provide that for you. We have a number of your plugins installed and they were all working fine. Then we changed some things with the directory plugin and that seemed to mess everything up. We undid the changes but the support system never came back. I not entirely sure the two are connected either. It seems that even if I uninstall the support plugin and optimize the db the old data for the tickets is still there so I must not be deleting all the db entries.

Not sure what to do now... Thanks so much for looking into this. Subscribing to WPMU dev has been one of the best investments our little company has ever made.

Thank you!

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Many thanks for the kind words! :slight_smile:

With the account you gave, I don't see the Support System, though I do see the Directory listings. Can you let me know what types of changes you'd made to the Directory plugin though? I'm not sure how they would affect the Support System showing in the menu but I can't see any other reason why it wouldn't.

I'm still checking on a few more things regarding this all in the meantime, but with a bit more information it would help to get the heart of the matter.

• johnetec

Hmm... not sure I can explain what was done. We uninstalled ans reinstalled the directory plugin completely. Our coder had worked with the custom fields and followed instructions from you guys on getting the ratings to show up. That all worked fine. Then another coder went in and did not realize that we have the custom functions in Thesis in the custom functions file and she started to mess with the plugin single.php file. The other coder went back in a fixed this.. as far as we know. Again.. not sure if that has anything to do with the support plugin. Could it be a simple setting in the general wordpress settings?

I also want to verify that all users from subscribers on up have access to the support system by default... if this is not the case then I need to figure out how to do this.

if you need ftp access I can do that as well... just tell me the best way to send it to you. Also.. there is nothing in the support plugin that I need to save so If it is easier for your really wipe it and start from scratch that's totally cool. I just can't seem to be able to wipe it completely.

Thanks!

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John, sorry for the delay, but I went ahead and tested the latest version along with WordPress 3.1.1 just to be sure the latest update didn't alter anything and it seems it works fine. I just wanted to be sure to rule out that possibility to start with.

In my test site the Subscriber level could indeed see the menu options, though I'm wondering, have you by any chance changed any role capabilities?

Also, could you double-check your Support System options in the Network Admin page and let me know what the Support system name reads? Should look similar to this...

• johnetec

Hey David,

Not we did not change any of the settings on the roles. Only what we can do within your other plugins. There is a directory level user but I have set registered users to be subscribers and not directory members. As you've seen it does not seem to matter what role we give people. Screenshot of our support name below. Not sure what to do.

Thanks again for looking into this.

John

• johnetec

Hey David,

Any luck with this? I really do not want to use a different support system. Is there a way to completely uninstall all of your plugins and start from scratch? I need to get this working ASAP. Let me know if you need anything from me.

Thanks,

John

• johnetec

Hey David... just to let you know. I have the support plugin in stalled on another site and after upgrading to the latest wordpress the admin link disappeared. Not sure what the deal is? I need to resolve this ASAP. Let me know if you are still working on this. If not, I will just find another solution.

Thanks,

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi johnetec, very sorry for that! Was working through quite a few issues at the same time and lost track of this. As I mentioned earlier, I have the plugin running on a number of test sites where the menu items are showing to the other users, so I'm not quite sure what's occurring here.

One thing I don't recall asking, could you try and switch themes to perhaps the Twenty Ten theme, to see if the menu item shows then? I only ask that since you mentioned that code changes were made in the theme's functions.php file.

If that's not the case, the main thing I can think of at this point is that there's a plugin conflict. I was trying to avoid having to go this route, but can't see another point of conflict off hand. Could you try and deactivate your other plugins to see if the menu then shows?

• johnetec

David,

No worries. Thanks for getting back too me. So... it turns out to be the Thesis theme that is causing the problem. Not sure how to troubleshoot this. Seeing as Thesis is the most widely used paid theme on wordpress it would really be cool if DIY and WPMU could be 100% compatible. Any ideas?

Thanks,

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John,

You mentioned something regarding changes being made to some files and I believe you were hinting at the Support System menu items having been accessible until recently? Is it possible that recent changes in the theme rendered the menus inaccessible?

• johnetec

David,

Quite possible. Not really sure. I actually installed the plugin on another Thesis install and it did the same thing right away so I'm not sure if it is Thesis in general or something we did to the custom files. That Thesis installl was also modified so I guess I can try it on a clean Thesis install next. I have attached the custom files here. Both the css and the functions.php. Can you see if there is anything in there that looks like a problem?

Thanks so much.

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John, I'll be glad to take a look at them. You'd probably be best putting them in a zip file to attach here as the attachments can only be in particular formats, zip being chief of them.

And if you could get that tested with Thesis without the edits that would help a great deal. I'd test it myself but I don't have access to Thesis, I'm afraid.

• johnetec

David,

I tried to attach the files in my last post. It says that .zip is denied. I'll try again here. Let me know if it does not work. I can also email them to you or you can find them via FTP here: /public_html/wp-content/themes/thesis_18/custom/southwaterfrontbusinessassociationorg. The two files are the custom.css and customfunctions.php.

I'll create a clean Thesis install and provide you access info shortly.

Thanks so much!

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John,

The issue does appear to revolve around your theme requiring a bit of custom code to get it working on multisite and as such, it seems it would be the best course of action to get that looked into via the theme's support site. I'll be glad to assist in any way, though the issue isn't something we can recreate in other tests, especially using Twenty Ten as a base theme.

• johnetec

David,

I spent several days working with the thesis pees and this is what they have to say:

<Looked through about 2800 lines of php but I don't have a clear answer. Seems like if it's working at all, then there's quite a bit of error-related outputs for failed actions. There's about 160 places "user" pops up in here, but the great majority of these is not role-related. Seems to me that the database interaction does not so much set user roles in relation to this plugin, but rather calls existing user role levels and allows or not actions based on those pre-set values. But that's almost pure speculation, I'm not qualified enough with SQL tables and PHP in general to say precisely what the issue would be here. >

I'm really frustrated at this point. Thesis says it is your issue and you says it is a Thesis issue. It would really be great if your two companies can cross check for compatibility. Too me it's kind of like Microsoft making sure their products work on a Mac. I pay for both of your services but at this point, I will be forced to use a different support plugin which is not what I want to do. I use a lot of your plugins because I trust that they will work and be supported. I'm not saying this is is your responsibility but it is certainly frustrating as a customer to have to bounce back and forth between services to get a solution.

Thanks,

John

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi John,

I can understand your frustration and I'll see if I can clarify a few things. The main issue here is that the plugin's admin menu displayed fine with Twenty Ten but not with that theme, in this multisite setting. On top of that, given there was a bit of custom coding required to get the theme working with multisite, it seems all the more likely there's not an issue with the plugin in this particular case.

I think it's worthy of note that the response from the theme developers (I assume) doesn't state a case against this plugin being the source of the issue. Rather they apparently couldn't pinpoint the trouble.

I did try to look into the matter myself initially but the theme's support site is not public so I'm limited in resources for resolving that myself.

As such, there's little we can do regarding this one. I'll ask a few of the other guys here if they've got any ideas on this though, just in case I've missed something simple or in case they've already seen an easy solution.

Thanks,
    David

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya John,

I use Thesis myself and have had trouble getting it to play nicely on my Multisite.

In short, Thesis just isn't MS compatible and so it *will* cause problems when used on one. It's fairly clear here that as soon as Thesis is activated it messes with the functionality of Support System as without Thesis we can see it working fine.

As I have Thesis I'll pop over to the forums and see if I can get a bit of traction for you on this but honestly I wouldn't hold your breath. I've tried to get it working with MS myself and still haven't found a solution.

Phil

• johnetec

David and Phil,

I really appreciate your responses. I agree this is a Thesis issue primarily due to the way Thesis needs to me modded to work with MU. However, the code used to modify Thesis is readily available on the web. Here is a link to the code we have been using for several years to make it work. Maybe with the understanding of this mod, you guys can figure out what Thesis is doing that messes up your plugin.

http://www.kristarella.com/2009/09/using-thesis-with-wpmu/

If you have access to the forums then cool. If you need my login I will be happy to provide it. Here is the thread on the forums discussing the issue.
    http://diythemes.com/forums/showthread.php?51512-WPMU-DEV-support-plugin-and-Thesis-conflict&goto=newpost

Godhammer has been the one looking into the issue for the most part. Girly has also said a few things.

Again... I really appreciate your taking the time to look into this.

Thanks,

John

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya John,

I've just tested this on my own MU installation with Thesis 1.8 (without the MS modification) and the menu items for Support System turn up fine.

Can you back up your modified version of Thesis and replace it with the bog-standard version and see if the problem persists please?

Cheers,
    Phil

• johnetec

Hey Phil,

I know this will work without the code because if you load any other theme on a subdomain the support nav shows up. I have already tested that. The subdomain, "testing" will show you. I cannot change it on the site because it is a live site. I can try it on a non wpmu thesis site but that mod for Thesis is what makes it work with MU. If I remove it, we lose the whole point.

Seems like the plugin needs to accommodate the Thesis mod if possible because as far as I understand, there is no other way to make Thesis work with MU. (This of course is an issue of contention for many Thesis users.)

Thoughts?

John

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya John,

It really does sound like the Thesis mod is causing the issue here. The plugin works fine in standard Thesis and with other themes so there's no bug with the plugin.

Rather, the mod for Thesis introduces a bug which breaks the plugin and so the mod needs fixing.

I'll ask the developer if they can look at it but what is needed is for Thesis or the mod developer to fix the mod code.

Phil

• johnetec

Phil,

Thanks so much for contacting them about this. I think if they can understand what is causing the bug, they can work with you to fix it. I know this is a Thesis issue. I just hope in the future you guys can make your products work together.

Let me know,

John

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.