Support System in Multi-network enviroment

Add support for the Multi Networks.

In that environment it would be great if Support System would gathered all the tickets from networks in one place so the support team could answer them there (there would be no switching between the networks to see tickets).
But members of the each network could open the tickets on their network, so they would not need to have access to other network to place ticket.
Also categories should be shared between networks.

• James Morris

Hello Micha,

I hope you are well today.

I see my colleague Kasia Swiderska has filed this ticket as a Feature Request on your behalf. If you would like to add anymore details here, please feel free to do so. Our Dev Team will review this request and consider it for future versions of the plugin.

Please keep in mind that features are added on a popularity basis. The more members asking for a feature, the more likely it is that the feature will make production.

Best regards,

James Morris

• Micha

Robert,
    I'm sorry but you're wrong in stating it works out of the box this way. Yes, it doesn't change the blog IDs, that bit is true. However, several other factors prevent this from working, most notably storing data in the network options table, which of course changes for each network of sites. If this data was a custom table, then it would likely work or be very close to working. As it stands now, it's not.

• Micha

Rob, please read the original write up again. I never said it didn't work. But, what happens because of the way it stores the date is that when switching from one network to another, you will see different tickets. So, lets say you have a multi network with 2 domains example1.com and example2.com. In the network admin of example1.com you have 5 tickets and in example2.com you have an additional 10. You can not see the tickets from the other networks in any other network. In other words, you can not view tickets from example2.com in example1.com's network admin.

So, while it does store a ticket, they are essentially functioning as independent networks. However, a multi-network is a multisite of multisites, so this wouldn't be the desired feature for those that want to use multi-network.

Lastly, be sure you are using multi-network to test and not multisite. They are different pretty significantly.

• wp.network

Micha I use multi-network and I like being able to somewhat silo the networks, at least as an option.

...also, fyi, one can use native WP multisite functionality to have 1 network (eg. side_id=1) that has:
      example1.tld and example2.tld and then when creating new subsites one can do either
      example1.tld/wp-admin/network/... --> makes like newsite.example1.tld
      ~or~
      example2.tld/wp-admin/network/... --> makes like newsite.example2.tld

...so basically, many of the benefits of multi-network in one network :wink:

Really I mostly only use additional networks because I can easily have different sets of plugins/etc running... this is useful for some sites with special needs that I'm not willing/able to accommodate at the primary network and also for staging/troubleshooting (again, easy to have various plugins/themes in play - and to allow vendor support access).

I'd be interested what kind of uses you have for secondary networks for that can't easily be done in one network (more or less as outlined above)?

Cheers, Max

• Micha

Max... hey there. Yes, I'm aware you can have multiple domains with subdirectories inside of one network. In our case though, we do have some slightly different settings between them so the separation is nice. We have things like upload limits, users, availability of plugins and themes, and some custom things that run off of the network settings.

In theory I could do some of this in one network, but we're dealing with high numbers here and it would be intense. Example: network 1 400+ sites, network 2: 100+ sites, etc. So, for making plugins "network enabled" as an example... this would instead have to be enabled individually per site times every site since the network groups of sites must have different configs. This would take a long time and would also require individual actions when changing the plugin config.

Does that answer your question about why I need the networks and not do everything in one?