Support System pre-install permissions

I've noticed this behavior in both a single WP & WPMU setup where WP is a default setup and WPMU installed with your Membership plugin.

Problem:

Simple WP: user who logged in before the Support System plugin was installed won't see the Support menu in the dashboard nor have access to it via manual link. Hence, no permission.

WPMU with Member: Support system available for Level1 (subscriber) and above. Visitor (guest level) signs up as Level 1 (subscriber), can see Support. Upgrades to Level 2 or whatever, still can see Support as supposed to. But if downgrading back to Level 1 (subscriber), Support is gone (same as in simple WP setup).

From my gut's feeling: there's something with the permissions. Yes, no matter what I set in the Support System settings' permissions, it won't make a change.
Something I wasn't able to test thoroughly was "what if the user was already on a permission level that the Support System settings would allow anyway"? Means I did have the users created before the Support installation on subscription level and initially Support was set to not accept Subscribers. But then I both switched those users to a higher level and I allowed everyone in Support settings to access it. Yet it fails for those specific accounts.

Question:
Is there anywhere an option saved in the database that I missed? I compared users with and without access to Support System and the Support System's own entries but couldn't find anything hinting into the right direction.

• catalyst

I mentioned the problem for both WP and WPMU in case it might sound familiar to some. Let's focus on the single WP setup first for sake of simplicity.

This is what I did - due to development processes it might look strange regarding the user creation but they were test accounts. I added UID here for simplicity.
    I haven't redone it yet to replicate but I followed the same steps as I did for WPMU (minus Membership).

1) install WP
    2) create 1 user (subscriber, 2)
    3) create 1 user (author, 3)
    4) create 1 user (subscriber, 4)
    5) create 1 user (author, 5)
    6) create large amount of users (author, 6+)
    7) install Support System. Permissions: FAQ for all, tickets all except subscriber.
    8) login with user2: no support at all.
    9) login with user3: works fine.
    10) change Support Ticket to allow Subscribers too (all options ticked)
    11) login with user 4: still fails.
    12) login with user 5: works.

In summary, once a subscriber and logged in before Support System installed (with initially no Subscriber support), it fails. Though it might not have to do with the Subscriber permission as still the FAQ section should show up (unless it requires Ticket access). But then it still should work after changing Ticket access to Subscriber, which it doesn't.

For the WPMU + Membership setup, it's the same as the WP above but due to the Membership plugin it acts slightly different.

Given: Support System allows Ticket and FAQ to everyone. Membership runs as free system, with unregistered users being guest level.

Let's create a new user for this example:
    1) site visitor (guest level) uses Membership to sign up and becomes Subscriber. Process works fine and Support too.
    2) same subscriber now upgrades account to advanced to get publish permission. All still good.
    3) If that user would downgrade back to subscriber only (or be downgraded by admin, same in both cases), all still as supposed to except for Support System gone from the dashboard and no permission when accessing directly.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.