Supporter & Membership - Integration

Hello-

I am attempting to install both Supporter, Membership, & Upgrades on my site. While I have found separate installation instructions, I could not find anything that combines them into one setup process. My problem is that I have not seen a demo or working example, so it is difficult to visualize the process and user experience of my website members. Does anyone know if there is one available?

It is my goal to offer three tiers of membership:

Free- Allows users to use the site and network.
Premium - Give users access to additional features and functionality.
Premium Plus - A few extra items

I have not figured out all of the details, such as:
- Pricing and Subscription terms for premium
- Plugins available for premium members. But as of right now, a premium member will get the following (setup own blog, market press, messaging, etc.)

Here are my questions:

1- Membership & Supporter - Both plugins have config settings for duration and cost of the subscription plans. what is the correct one to use as these will be used together?

2- Upgrades - Does this system have an activity statement so that users can see all credits they have spent, purchased, or given away?

3- Plugins - If a plugin will be provided to users in a premium package (ex. market press), should that be "network activated". Can you please help me better understand how the activation of plugins need to be done to properly interact with Membership, Upgrades, & Supporter.

4- Plugin Settings - When network activated, also add an items to the users dashboard settings area. I am concerned that there might be some settings that I do not want users to change. How do I make sure that all settings are replicated properly and not changed by the end users of my site.

5- Upgrades - I understand the concept of how the credits work, but have not seen it in action. What is the process so that users can purchase credits. Is there a way to deduct credits from their account and issue a refund?

Thanks for all of your help. I am sure I will have more questions as I put this together.

-Ryan

• Eric G.

Have a few seconds to give you a quick answer to get you started while others chime in. To get them working together, you can assign levels in Membership to have Supporter status and give them all of the rights that a supporter would have. This is done in the options when editing levels through the Membership plugin and is integrated. So supporter privilages should be set up but the handling would be done through the membership plugin.

• DavidM

Thanks Eric, that option really is the main point to stress here and I'll grab a screenshot to help with that too.

Hi ryangambrill, I'll go through these inline with ya!

I am attempting to install both Supporter, Membership, & Upgrades on my site. While I have found separate installation instructions, I could not find anything that combines them into one setup process. My problem is that I have not seen a demo or working example, so it is difficult to visualize the process and user experience of my website members. Does anyone know if there is one available?

There's not currently a demo or walkthrough of the integration process but we're working on things that should help with that. This particular one's a bit of a tough one as both Membership and Supporter are complex plugins, but we are working on some things.

1- Membership & Supporter - Both plugins have config settings for duration and cost of the subscription plans. what is the correct one to use as these will be used together?

Given your description, Eric's mention of the Supporter integration option in Membership sounds like the way you'll want to go about it. The option is available in the Subscription setup as illustrated here:

2- Upgrades - Does this system have an activity statement so that users can see all credits they have spent, purchased, or given away?

There's not currently, no. I think I mentioned previously though, the Upgrades plugin is being superseded by the forthcoming Pro-Blogs plugin, and we hope to see lots of nifty new additions there.

3- Plugins - If a plugin will be provided to users in a premium package (ex. market press), should that be "network activated". Can you please help me better understand how the activation of plugins need to be done to properly interact with Membership, Upgrades, & Supporter.

It actually depends on the plugin in question. For the most part, you'll want to leave the plugins deactivated then in the Supporter setup you'll be able to specify which plugins users have access to.

There's special plugins like Domain Mapping though, that are network activated but can be specified as Supporter plugins.

4- Plugin Settings - When network activated, also add an items to the users dashboard settings area. I am concerned that there might be some settings that I do not want users to change. How do I make sure that all settings are replicated properly and not changed by the end users of my site.

There's not currently a way to have settings persist, but New Blog Templates will let you specify defaults used in the site creation process.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/new-blog-template

You may want to consider a bit of custom development for particular plugin options you'd like to make unavailable to users though.

5- Upgrades - I understand the concept of how the credits work, but have not seen it in action. What is the process so that users can purchase credits. Is there a way to deduct credits from their account and issue a refund?

Upgrades provides some admin menus for users to access things in the back-end. There's not a way to deduct credits manually per se, but that could always be done through the database. Refunds would have to be handled manually, through PayPal.

Let us know any further questions you might have!

-David

• ryangambrill

Thanks for the info.

A few more questions:

1- Levels vs Subscriptions - Since I am trying to setup three membership options (Free, Premium, and Premium Plus), then I setup three levels. One for each tier, with the correct config for each levels benefits. Can you please provide me more examples of how or why I would want to have different subscriptions.

2- Free subscriptions - My first tier is a free level. I assume that I need to activate the "Free Subscription" gateway?

3- Supporter - Multiple levels - As stated, it is my plan to offer three tiers. But in supporter, It seems like the settings only allow for two tiers (Supporters vs. Everyone Else). Am I missing something?

4- Can you please explain the "Starting Point" in the membership. I am having a difficult time understanding how the pieces fit together.

• DavidM

Hi ryangambrill,

You'll simply need to ensure the Free Gateway is activated, the subscriptions automatically will use the respective gateways and you wouldn't need to assign a gateway to a subscription for that to work.

And to clarify regarding Supporter, it currently only allows for a single tier, really, the Supporter level. That's partly the reason why Membership has this integration, so that you can more fully customize features. Though, Supporter in its current release version does only provide for that single tier and wouldn't be customizable in that way.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "Starting Point" in Membership, but perhaps the following tutorials will help to explain a few things?
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/create-a-simple-tutorial-site-with-the-wpmu-dev-membership-plugin/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/drip-feed-your-content-with-the-wpmu-dev-membership-plugin/

That second tutorial should help to explain the need for multiple levels of membership as well.

Hope that helps!

-David

• ryangambrill

Should there be a button next to the "Free Membership" (see attachment)?
    I confirmed the the Gateway "Free Subscriptions" has been activated.

If I understand you correctly, there is only one tier for supporter. Essentially only giving me the option to have a three options for my visitors. Visitors, Free Members and Premium Members. Is there any plan to offer multiple tiers within supporter?

Thanks for the links to the tutorials. Those will definitely help.

-Ryan

• DavidM

Hi ryangambrill,

Hmm, could you provide a screenshot of the Free Membership subscription attempting to use that Free Gateway? My guess is there's something set in there that's not triggering the use of the free gateway for some odd reason.

Also, multiple tiers for Supporter are definitely in the works and you can read more about it, and even access the beta version, in the following thread.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/pro-blogs-supporter-30-beta-3-release

Cheers,
    David

• Atlanta

HI,
    I have similar questions on this topic.
    I am using Membership and Pro Sites beta 6. Let me know if these 2 integrate and you want me to start a new thread.

1. What registration page do I use?
    The one created in Membership with shortcode
    or the standard wp-signup?

2. How does the Membership level know which Pro-Site level to latch on to?

3. If I offer a plugin, eg MarketPress, do I need to list it in positive rules Membership Levels as well as on Pro sites? Or ignore it on Membership plugin and let Pro-Sites handle it? (In this example i want sub sites to have their own stores.

• DavidM

Hi Atlanta,

As Pro-Sites is still in beta, the details haven't yet been worked out with Membership integration so the two wouldn't integrate in that way just yet. Basically, Membership provides for an either/or Supporter status scenario and wouldn't allow for multi-level selections. I'm sure that'll be sorted right away once Pro-Sites is out of beta though.

As for the registration, that would be handled by Membership itself, assuming you're using it with the current release version of Supporter.

That said, Membership works on a user basis, and the Membership rules would apply only to the site at which it's setup. In other words, plugin restrictions from Membership would only be in effect on the main site in this case. But you wouldn't need extra plugin restrictions if you're using Pro-Sites, no?

Cheers,
    David

• ryangambrill

I think I might have figured it out. I have a countdown timer on the site as it is still in development. I am required to login to the site so that I can bypass the countdown timer and view the site. Could my status as "Logged" in be disabling the "free gateway" from showing?

If I am correct, it would be great if the system disabled the option or somehow told the user that they are already subscribed at that level.

• Philip John

Hiya,

Just checking if it was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, could you let us know by re-opening this topic, and we'll get onto it and helping you out asap!

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Phil

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.