Supporter plugin : How does it works ?

Hi , My name is Matthieu , I m new french fan of premium.wpudev and here is my first post.

I try to understand how does the supporter plugin works. I 'm not sure that my installtion work well.

1 - Is there a manuel ?

For exemple how can I show a box to become a supporter ? Cause supporters widget and support badge dooesn't work.

What a supporter badge ?

2 - In the administration of the suppoter plugin I have no possibilities to choose witch plugin I want to allow to supporters.

3 - It's also impossible to view who is a supporter

4 - ...

By this way, you can understand that I very far of a good use of supporter plugin, but I really want to use it !

I hope you will take the time to give me answers.

Matthieu

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Hi Matthieu,

Thanks for joining!

--
    1 - Is there a manuel ?
    For exemple how can I show a box to become a supporter ? Cause supporters widget and support badge dooesn't work.
    --

When you install the plugin (following the install instructions in the download) a 'Supporter' tab will appear in your install where people can upgrade, you can just link to this and configure it in the Site Admin > Supporter section.

We'll be developing more 'how to' material over time.

--
    What a supporter badge ?
    --

It's a badge, that shows the person is a supporter, via a widget.

--
    2 - In the administration of the suppoter plugin I have no possibilities to choose witch plugin I want to allow to supporters.
    --

Correct, that's not a feature - I believe there are instructions somewhere for how to make all of your plugins supporter only... anyone throw me a bone there?

--
    3 - It's also impossible to view who is a supporter
    --

Actually it isn't - you can provide a list - but you'll need a basic knowledge of php to do this (unless we can add a 'supporters' list widget for the homepage for the next version).

• scott.wood
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

I've chosen not to use the supporter-plugins.php file and am, instead, using plugin commander. To disable the ability for "non supporters" to use the plugin, I wrapped the "activate" td portion of the table in an if(is_supporter()); statement. They can see but they can't touch.

Throw in an 'if ( !is_supporter()) { supporter_output(); }' just below the table and the they get a chance to signup and take advantage of all the goodies.

If one knew how to get around it, they could easily still activate the plugins, but in my niche its not really an issue.

I've also done basically the same thing with Donncha's domain mapping plugin.

• sbernado
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hi Guys!

I am a WPMU noob, but I have used WP for years.

I purchased access to this site for the Supporter plugin, but I cannot get it to work and there is no documentation on it that I can find.

I assumed that once the plugin was installed, when someone accessed the wp-signup.php page they would see the payment options (like on this site when I registered). However, it is still the standard blog sign-up.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful.

Thanks - Scott

• sbernado

Hi DrMike.

The supporter plugin claims to have PayPal support within it. It is used to allow people pay for access to certain areas of the site.

I did read the install.txt - there are no usage instructions, just installation.

Am I missing something?

How does someone become a supporter?

• sbernado

Awesome link Sue! Thank you so much!

I still do not understand why I am not presented with the payment options when creating a blog? When I create a new blog, it goes through the process as if the plugin is not installed. It is, however, and I have setup the plugin just like the instructions.

Any other ideas?

Thanks so much - Scott

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

"why I am not presented with the payment options when creating a blog?"

Simple reason - it's just not possible (yet... and we're open to being proved wrong) to easily integrate a payment process into the signup form like that without hacking it.

If it's any consolation, you'll note that established players - like typepad and squarespace, follow a pretty similar route (i.e. 14 days free and then you have to sign up) but of course typepad (in particular) have got it going very well in that they capture CC info at the start and then you have to manually cancel... I'd love to be able to integrate that feature with PayPal subscriptions.

Also, different peopel want different things - so, as Andrew pointed out the Pay to Blog approach can also be just as effective.

In terms of documentation / instructions we're working on improving that area too, but the overview makes it pretty clear how it works.

• sbernado

OK. Thank you James for the answer. I appreciate your help :wink:

And thank you again DrMike for the link. I will check that out.

May I ask what plugin is being used on this site when I joined?

Thanks again!

-Scott

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

let me ad a related question here:

the description of the supporter plugins says:

- Allows you to simply place ads on every site (and admin area if you like!) which disappear as soon as a user signs up to be a Supporter
    - Allows users to turn off ads for other blogs (if you want to let them do that)

the QUESTION is how? what ad plugin do I need for this?

• Ovidiu
    • Code Wrangler

nah, not really. the block you mention is:

This message is displayed at the top of the "Disable Ads" page.

what I want to know is with what ad plugin this works, as in WSA or other advertising plugins available here?

I mean, lets say a user signs up, pays, no he wants to disable ads, fine so far, but what plugin do I use to show ads that he can disable by signing up? Or do I have to modify an ad plugin to use?

hopw that was more clear now?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

You can use WSA with the supporter plugin quite easily. The supporter plugin provides the following function that returns true if the blog is a supporter and false if not:

is_supporter()

WSA allows you to use a function in the display rules section. Look under the "Advanced Display Rules" section on this page for more information:
    http://planetozh.com/blog/my-projects/wordpress-plugin-who-sees-ads-control-adsense-display/

Thanks,
    Andrew

• trevogre
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Has there been any progress on the integration into the signup form? I read somewhere in here that it couldn't be done without a hack. I believe there is a plugin that ads the ability to select a password when signing up. Is that plugin a hack? Or does it just happen to be posting an extra field to the same table or some other easy fix? Without actually doing any work to look, it doesn't seem like it would be hard to put that in there. And it actually seems really self defeating to not do it. I'm shocked that edublogs has 300k+ users if they haven't implemented this feature. I want that sales team!

Is it a paypal integration issue? Is that the problem?

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

Hiya,

Has there been any progress on the integration into the signup form?

I'm afraid not.

I read somewhere in here that it couldn't be done without a hack.

Correct.

I believe there is a plugin that ads the ability to select a password when signing up. Is that plugin a hack?

No.

Without actually doing any work to look, it doesn't seem like it would be hard to put that in there.

If you figure out a way to pull it off without a hack definitely let us know :slight_smile:

Thanks,
    Andrew

• Aaron
    • CTO

You could write a simple plugin that checks is_supporter() every admin load and forwards to the supporter page.

Something like:

function forward_nonsupporter() {
    if (!is_supporter())
    wp_redirect('supporter.php');
    }
    add_action('wp_admin', 'forward_nonsupporter');

• Andrew
    • Champion of Loops

The problem is that everyone wants the payment process to happen during the WPMU signup process and there just doesn't seem to be a way to pull that off without hacking wp-signup.php. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

Before someone mentions it... providing instructions for hacking wp-signup.php is not feasible. We have a hard enough time getting users to follow (read) the installation instructions as they are. Asking users to make core file edits is 100% out of the question.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• greenplanetfilms
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Aaron,

I've tried to roll your code above into a plugin to send non-supporters to the supporter signup page instead of their dashboard. But it isn't working. Did I miss something?

Thanks.

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: Paid Status Checker
    Plugin URI:
    Description:
    Author: WPMU Dev Premium
    Version: 1.0.0
    Author URI:
    */

function forward_nonsupporter() {
    if (!is_supporter())
    wp_redirect('supporter.php');
    }
    add_action('wp_admin', 'forward_nonsupporter');

?>
  • greenplanetfilms
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

What is happening when you get a non supporter?

Nothing. In each case the user goes to the Dashboard, not Supporter page. Mike, you're right, I was using a URL too in a later test.

I think the new suggestion (admin_init) will probably give the desired results.

Thank you.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.