Supporter plugin - anyone to hire here?

I need someone to hire someone for setting up the Supporter plugin to a hosting at wpengine.com

Please contact wpmu AT happymarketing.com

Thanks

John

• wpcdn

delavera,

A couple of questions:

1) When is your launch? A new version of Supporter may be released soon, boasting new features.

2) How proficient are you in setting up WordPress, plugins, etc. I'm asking because if you can do some of the legwork, you might be able to find free help here instead of having to hire someone. Although if you want someone to handle the entire job, hiring might be best.

Mark

• wpcdn

delavera,

Hmm, let's decide whether this is an issue with Supporter or an issue with the multisite setup in general.

Let's take Supporter out of the mix for a moment. What happens when someone goes to your registration/signup form and tries to create a new blog at subdomain.yourdomainhere.com?

Not to ask the obvious, but you did set this up as a subdomain network (not subdirectory)? And did you set up a wildcard for the subdomain?

Mark

• delavera

Mark

> What happens when someone goes to your registration/signup form and tries to create a new blog at subdomain.yourdomainhere.com?

The process is running, messages say that the blog is created, emails are sent, but the URL of the blog/subdomain is not valid

You can check it at http://happymarketing.org/wp-signup.php

> but you did set this up as a subdomain network (not subdirectory)? And did you set up a wildcard for the subdomain?

the MU installation was done by wp engine's support guys.
    Re: wildcard - I think I did not do anything about that

• Timothy Bowers

You need to set up wildcards if they are not done. But if they set the installation up for you then they should be aware of this requirement.

You might also wish to take a peak at you

If the domains/sub domains are pointing correctly and you get 404s or similar then it might be a .htaccess issue.

Have you spoken with your host about these issues? As in asked them to fix it if they performed the install?

What is a link to a sub blog?

• delavera

here is the sub blog

http://marketing.happymarketing.org

wp engine gives an ftp account but no cpanel control

As for the support I am not sure if they understand what I want to do

"Are you creating sub-domain entries from your domain registrar and pointing them to your site, like you did with the top level domain name? "

"No

Do you mean that for each account
    I create in the MU I have to create
    a subdomain in the registrar and point
    it to the site?

John
    "
    HI John,

That is correct. You have to make sure a sub-domain entry is created on the DNS level otherwise the internet won't know how to route people to a specific site or IP address.

Their were two things missing from your setup. First, you did not map the domain within WordPress (which you need to do for every domain).

Second thing you need to do is to configure an A-Record for your sub-domain "marketing.happymarketing.org." You would point the A-Record to your site's IP Address here 199.xxxxxxx. You would configure this through your domain registrar.
    "

Hence I am lost :slight_frown:

• Timothy Bowers

As for the support I am not sure if they understand what I want to do

Well to quote from their site:

Tired of late-night troubleshooting? With over 15 years of combined experience running top WordPress installs, your site is in good hands.

I would hope they do understand what is required of a multisite install.

But I'm guessing from your domain is actually with someone else?

Do you mean that for each account
    I create in the MU I have to create
    a subdomain in the registrar and point
    it to the site?

No you set your domain name up with wildcard support *.domain.com so everything entered as a subdomain goes to the main domain. WP will then map it to the right place.

Reading their reply they are saying to create a record for everyone, this isn't required if you set up wildcard.

Who is your domain with? Who controls your DNS?

• wpcdn

delavera,

Everything Tim says is correct. Some additional insight:

Your wildcard domain configuration is not set up properly (or set up at all). I set up an account on your system, and I got the e-mail that everything was created, but the subdomain does not go to my specific site.

And I don't agree with the answer they've given you. They're saying that you need to manually enter each subdomain. With multisite this isn't true if there's a wildcard setup. I understand what they're saying about the Internet needing to know where to send the request, but that's what the top-level domain is for. The wildcard record is what handles the subdomain.

So, for example, we have a multisite installation at exampledomain.com. And let's say we've set up a wildcard for subdomains. If what they are saying is true, users could not simply sign up automatically for a subdomain-based account on your site. But people can indeed do this, and they do it every day on thousands of multiple WordPress multisite installations. People can sign up while you sleep, and you never have to enter a subdomain manually at the DNS level. The wildcard configuration takes care of that.

So, if a user signed up for an account "myaccount" at our system "exampledomain.com", you wouldn't have to do anything. Any traffic for "exampledomain.com" already goes to your server. And, if your server is set up with a wildcard, the request will go to your server (actually the IP of your multisite installation), then WordPress will route the request to the blog that corresponds to that subdomain. It's all automatic, and it definitely is possible without setting each subdomain up at the DNS level. That's what a wildcard is...automatic handling of any subdomain. Our multisite hosting clients have people sign up this way every day, and it works as described.

I hope we haven't exceeded the scope of this thread, since the problem isn't actually with Supporter. I'd be happy to provide more information offline. Feel free to e-mail me directly at mark.bailey[at]wpcdn.com. Or, if it's okay with the moderators, we can continue here. I didn't want to overstep any boundaries since this is not a plugin support issue.

Mark

EDIT: Sorry, I was composing my reply when Tim posted an additional response. Sorry if I duplicated some of his thoughts. And he said a few things more concisely than I did. :slight_smile:

• Shawn

@delavera, it looks like your domain is registered thru a GoDaddy affiliate (WildWestDomains is their reseller system). Since your DNS is hosted there as well, you need to configure your name servers by logging into your WWD (registrar) account (I'd provide you with a full URL, but WHOIS doesn't provide all the information necessary to do so within the .ORG registration database). Instructions for editing DNS are here. You'll want to setup an A record with an * as the name of the subdomain. Map it to the IP where your site is (199.204.137.111). However, it looks like there are a number of other domains hosted at that IP address, so I would be VERY surprised if this actually worked reliably with a true wildcard. Any of these other sites with a full wildcard setup would result in traffic intended for your site randomly arriving, well, anywhere on the server. Not good.

While setting up the DNS correctly is essential, that alone won't make this work for you - unless you ONLY need subdomains to work.

Your host appears to have correctly mapped *.happymarketing.org to your site (hitting "test.happymarketing.org" with a HOSTS declaration of "199.204.137.111 test.happymarketing.org" works fine), but you're going to be limited in your ability to allow users to use root domains without involving your host each and every time.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.