Supporter plugin doesn't seem to work at all?

I know this must be something simple, but my plugin is not working. On signup, it does not prompt them to become supporters even though I have set it to do so in the settings:

http://walamy.com/register

Also, I have banner ads using the code someone else posted earlier that is supposed to show the ads for nonsupporters, turn them off if they are a supporter. This isn't working either - it thinks everyone is a supporter.

http://walamy.com/members/admin/ (See at the top where it says "Is Supporter")
http://walamy.com/members/katy/ (non-admin still shows as 'supporter')

Can anyone shed some light on what I may have done wrong in installation? I followed the documentation to a "T" and selected "sandbox" for Paypal.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi chuckrock and welcome to WPMU DEV!

For the option to display upon signup I believe all you should need is to tick the Show Option On Signup option in the settings page at Network Admin > Settings > Supporter.

Here's a quick illustration to help. Could you check that that's set?

As for the code, could you let us know what code it is you're pasting there? Also, you are pasting that in the theme's file itself, correct?

Thanks,
    David

• Aphrodite
    • The Reaper

the supporter ads is applied on blog basis. Blogs are supporters, not members. So in fact, any member comming on a supporter blog wont see ads :slight_smile:

As the link you give is the SAME blog, so a supporter one, it is mentioned as supporter :slight_smile: that is exactly how it works !
    Lets take an example :

I created a blog on your network, and upgraded it to supporter. I will not have ads on MY blog. And then i visit another blog, not supporter.

I will see the ads.

Have a try on "who see ads" (another plugin here).

All my networks use supporter and it works fine.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya Chuck,

Are you still having this error or wanting to troubleshoot this? I looked at your link and didn't see where the option of creating a site was available. It looks like you only have user registration turned out.

@antKat, do you have a forum thread related to this issue? Let me know and we'll see if we can get it sorted for ya.

Thanks everyone!

• chuckrock
    • New Recruit

We were under the impression that "Supporter" can apply to the users themselves, without them needing a blog. Is there another plugin that does this that we can get a refund and apply the credit to buying? What we need is a plugin that allows members to become 'supporters' without needing to have their own site. Is there no way to enable the status on the member and not their website?

We are using the buddypress "profiles" as their actual 'site' and do not want them to have blogs, etc.

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya chuck,

Thanks for your response. It really depends on what you want your users to be able to do. Do you want them to pay to be able to post to BuddyPress? I'd recommend the Membership plugin, it's designed to block access to content and will probably do what you're looking for here (as well as giving you multiple levels for content access and subscription price)
    Take a look:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

And installation/usage instructions:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership/installation/

We don't provide 'exchanges' per say, but we'll try to work with ya on this. Email me through the contact form here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/
    Please include my name (Mason) in the subject and a link to this thread along with your request. I'll see what we can do for ya.

Thanks!

• chuckrock
    • New Recruit

Thanks!

We actually don't want them to be able to post, either per se.

What we ultimately want, is to have some means for them to pay for an account. I will then take the PHP code that determines what level of access they have, and use that to restrict the amount of photos that show on their profile, and remove ads from their profile. The profile we are using is the built in profile within Buddypress. But the main reason we wanted a plugin for this is so that it would handle the membership payment and subscriptions, so that we can deactivate their account once the amount of time they subscribed for is over.

If you can do an exchange for us, that would be great. It's taken us almost 2 months to finally get a response that even let us know this plugin wasn't appropriate for us and has been a huge delay on our project. It would be nice to find faith in you guys at the end of all this.

• DavidM
    • DEV MAN’s Mascot

Hi chuckrock,

If I understand you correctly, there are several rather easy ways you could display ads to non-members while hiding them from members.

If you're using an ads plugin that uses shortcodes, you can restrict that particular shortcode from being viewed by members using a Shortcode rule, while letting regular visitors see the shortcode, thereby displaying the ads.

For extreme customization, you could use Membership shortcodes, specified in the Membership > Edit Options page, and use those shortcodes to show/hide ad content you specify in the individual posts/pages.

Also, you could use either the Subscription or Membership Level widgets to display the ads. If you're using an ads plugin that lets you use shortcodes to display ads, you could add the following to your theme's functions.php file:
    add_filter('widget_text', 'do_shortcode');

And then add those shortcodes to the widgets you setup. The widgets will be displayed based on the subscription or membership level you specify.

How would that work for you?

• Mason
    • DEV MAN’s Sidekick

Hiya,

As we haven't heard back from ya with any response in awhile I'm gonna mark this one resolved. If you'd like to go through anything further, feel free to re-open this thread. Alternately, you can also always open up a new one.

Thanks!

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.