Supporter Plugin Not blocking sitewide usage of third party plugin

I have installed a regular WP plugin that has had good reports of working friendly with WPMU. I looked on my Supporter Premium Plugins page and made sure the radio button was marked as available to "None."

I logged into my test blog and Lo and Behold, the plugin was showing under settings as pretty as you please. My initial reaction is that Supporter should have caught this as one of the main reasons for it was the ability to offer Premium Plugins to Supporters from plugins added in the /wp-content/plugins folder.

The plugin is Greg's High Performance SEO plugin downloaded from the Wordpress.org repository.

Advice and/or solutions anyone?

Cheers, etc.

• Kirk Ward

I activated it sitewide and then went to the test blog and then went to the supporter premium plugins page to see what the setting was as they had all previously defaulted to none. It was defaulted to none, but was showing in the test blog anyhoo.

I will test by deactivating, deleting and reinstalling, then go to supporter before going to the test blog.

Then I will report back in ten minutes.

• Kirk Ward

Well, I just learned something.

(1) I deactivated and deleted the plugin, so it would be semi-clean when I reactivate.

(2) I uploaded the plugin and on the plugin page, clicked on the regular activation link, not the activate sitewide link.

(3) I went to the Supporter Premium Plugin page and made sure the radio button was set to "none."

(4) I went to the test blog and sure enough there was no plugin showing as available.

(5) I returned to the site admin and clicked the Supporter radio button to "anyone" and saved

(6) I returned to the test blog and Voila!, the plugin was in the plugins list. I activated and it seems to work.

So my questions are ...

(1) Is that the process I should follow for all plugins I want to offer as supporter plugins?

(2) Why isn't the "Activate Sitewide" on the plugin activation page not modified or controlled by the Supporter Plugin if the Supporter Plugin is installed?

Cheers, and once again, Thanks Aaron!

• Sue

@Kirk It is because site wide is control by Site Admin users and provides a site admin user the ability to make a plugin automatically switched on across the entire site i.e so that all users automatically have that plugin.

For example, say it was my favorite plugin Let it Snow (NOT). If a site admin user turned on Let it Snow site-wide all blogs across your site would now have snowing falling down their pages whenever any one visited the blog -- regardless of whether the blog owner had wanted it turned on.

Activating a plugin site wide as a Site Admin user would always bypass what ever you had set up in the Supporter plugin.

The simplest way to look at it is don't use the Site wide option on the plugins page unless you want it automatically enabled on all blogs. Whereas the Supporter plugin doesn't give you the option to activate it automatically across supporter and non-supporter blogs.

We also have more detailed how to use instructions on the Supporter installation page - https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/supporter/installation/ Would love your feedback in terms of additional information you would like us to cover.

• Kirk Ward

The simplest way to look at it is don't use the Site wide option on the plugins page unless you want it automatically enabled on all blogs. Whereas the Supporter plugin doesn't give you the option to activate it automatically across supporter and non-supporter blogs.

Thanks Sue!

Would love your feedback in terms of additional information you would like us to cover.

I am thinking of a step one, step two, here is what will happen at each step if you do it instruction. Pretty much, the way I see it is you have two options.

One, activate it "SiteWide" and everyone gets it, whether they want it or not.

Or, two, activate it as you would a normal WP plugin and control it through Supporter, where you can authorize it or not and blog admins have the option of accepting it or rejecting it when they are authorized to use it.

Somehow that fact did not come through to me. But, old fogey's do get senile you know. And, they get dementia, or is it they get demented?

• Sue

No problem Kirk and definitely not dementia.

There is a lot to take in because often you need to have an understanding of how the plugin works but also think in terms of how it works from a Site admin users perspective and for your normal blog users.

With the instructions on the installation page I'm trying to make sure that we provide adequate information so it is easier for you all.

I haven't finished the Supporter installation completely yet -- so will go back into that particular section next week to add in that extra information -- I'll let you know when I'm done so if you are available to check it again that would be great. I'll probably also copy the information from Supporter onto several pages in the manual to also make it easier.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.