Supporter/paytoblog/membership plugins for a BuddyPress site

Hi,
Using Supporter/paytoblog/membership plugins for a BuddyPress site:
I get confused by what these plugins can do and which can work together, please let me know if these can requirements can be accomplished and which plugin I should use:

(1) All non-visitor members to have a yearly paid membership subscription.
(2) Members may request and pay for a blog(s). I may have the supporter Pro|Basic level charges.
(3) Members may request a blog at signup or add one at a later date & be charged. When they delete a(ll) blog(s) then there would be no renewal fee.
(4) Membership and blogs would to be yearly subscriptions, but can that be configured?.
(5) Members who fail to renew their membership or blog after a period of say 2 months, would be deleted, or maybe better send an email notification to the admin to take action.
(6) The membership and blog subscriptions renew automatically or optionally send out a notice of expiration.

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

I'll respond inline to your inquiries.

(1) All non-visitor members to have a yearly paid membership subscription.

Membership would definitely be required for this part to work.

(2) Members may request and pay for a blog(s). I may have the supporter Pro|Basic level charges.

Membership does have a Blog Creation rule, but it doesn't regulate the blog usage (ie. it doesn't shut-down the blog if subscription isn't maintained). However, it does have a Supporter integration option in the subscriptions section and the combination of the two plugins may take care of all you need here.

To clarify though, Supporter currently has a single level. Either a blog is denoted as a Supporter or it is not.

(3) Members may request a blog at signup or add one at a later date & be charged. When they delete a(ll) blog(s) then there would be no renewal fee.

I think you'd have to have different subscription levels for this to work. Basically, a regular membership subscription and a blog owner subscription (where the Supporter integration option would be used).

(4) Membership and blogs would to be yearly subscriptions, but can that be configured?

That's easily configured using Membership's highly customizable subscriptions. The durations can be whatever you decide.

(5) Members who fail to renew their membership or blog after a period of say 2 months, would be deleted, or maybe better send an email notification to the admin to take action.

You may be able to achieve this using Membership Pings, though you'd have to setup some way of receiving the pings (a bit of custom work). I'm not completely sure about the expiry concern, but I think it may be possible to have a subscription move to a temporary membership level for a 2-month period to accomplish this in effect.

(6) The membership and blog subscriptions renew automatically or optionally send out a notice of expiration.

Membership's new Communications can be used for sending messages as such. It's incredibly robust and customizable too.

tishimself

Hi,

That is very helpful. Just a few more questiosn.....

3. I need some clarification. Are you referring to Supporter subscription levels which are not yet available or membership levels for which Supporter can charge separately? Does supporter have the ability to charge by membership level?

5. At the minimum, the admin would need to be notified that the subscription is overdue. I do not what to rely on a member telling me that they are dropping membership. Can something like this be done?

6. Is “Communications” another plugin or part of Wordpress Membership?

DavidM

Hi Larry,

3. I need some clarification. Are you referring to Supporter subscription levels which are not yet available or membership levels for which Supporter can charge separately? Does supporter have the ability to charge by membership level?

To clarify, Membership would effectively take over the subscriptions in place of Supporter given this scenario. The integration with Supporter in Membership comes in the form of a Membership subscription option so a Supporter status could be attached to a Membership subscription by this method.

While Supporter isn't itself multi-level currently, Membership with Supporter integration could be used to somewhat emulate that.

5. At the minimum, the admin would need to be notified that the subscription is overdue. I do not what to rely on a member telling me that they are dropping membership. Can something like this be done?

Well, along with the new Communications section in Membership there are also Pings, which allow Membership to send out "pings" upon membership level or subscription activity. These pings are highly configurable and can be used to notify admins of occurrences like the end of a subscription and what not. It would require setting up a way to receive the pings, but in general these work much like the Communications.

6. Is “Communications” another plugin or part of Wordpress Membership?

It's actually part of the Membership plugin. It was added with the latest version and it's incredibly powerful, it's like an entire plugin in itself and works very much like the Automessage plugin.

tishimself

Hi,

>Search member blogs but protect from viewing by unregister non-logged viewers.

you can do this through a check in the theme for islogged_in() in order to restrict access - some of our themes have an option for this without coding, and you could also use our membership plugin to create a 'visitor' level and a 'member' level.

Which themes with a child theme have this:islogged_in().?

I would like to read about the Memberships new Communicateions, specically under what cirecumstances it sends out a messge and what kind of message can it sent out.

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry, the Pings are a new feature in the latest version of Membership for use by developers mostly, yet incredibly powerful. They would likely be outside the scope of what you're looking for here though so I'll try and focus on the Communications.

The Communications are messages you can send depending on subscription activity. You can have messages (emails) sent to members based on whether they just paid a subscription or whether their subscription is expired. And you can specify time-frames surrounding this, for instance, to send an email 4 days after they've paid.

I'm not quite sure what you're referring to with the islogged_in() reference but you can use WordPress functions such as is_user_logged_in() to detect whether a user is logged in or not. If you're comfortable with a bit of coding, they're quite easy to put to use.

tishimself

Hi,

Can Communicatgions also notify or copy the admin & others on such emails. I'm trying to get a handle on how paying memberships can be managed (add/alter/delete).

I would like to contact the member b4 deleting there account & blog. I think such deleteions will need to be manual so I need emails to go to the admin(s) to handle such things.

Also, can a member be added manually? And if so, how does any paymnent get handled?

It seems that paid membership requires a lot of management tools to handle the different scenarios.

BTW, if there is a demo period with PaytoBlog, when does the person get billed and how do I know it it has been paid?

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

For messaging of the nature you're considering, it would take a bit of custom work, though the Pings make it dramatically easier to achieve. The Pings are somewhat a developer tool that let you send information to another script that can then process the information.

And yes, you can manually add subscriptions and membership levels to members. You can do this all through the members list. Payments would have to be done by the user through the subscription screen though.

Pay-to-Blog itself doesn't provide a demo period, though Supporter does and it can be made to work very much like Pay-to-Blog, and it has quite a lot of other options as well. Membership also provides a Supporter integration option in the subscription option.

And of course, this is all totally compatible with BuddyPress as well.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

Actually, PayToBlog settings provides a demo period: "Period (in days) before users have to pay to use their blog". I just have yet to see it ask for payment.

I need to install Supporter and Members to get familiar with them, but where would I find some doc for the how to use Ping? I've written some javascripts in the past, but not my strong suit.

Am I going down the wrong path? It seems that managing payments & subscriptions for members would be a pretty common need.

Thanks,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

When try to the admin my bflog after the pay-to-blog demo period expired, it gives me a screen to request payment. I was hoping that the superadmin would be notified that I was not paying for my blog and action should be taken. Is there someplace I should be looking to find members with blogs not being paid for?

My concern is that I will get into a situation where maintaining the membership and their payments will become a time consuming investigation rather than getting warning emails to be addressed case by case. How do people manage paying & no-paying customers?

Regards
    Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

I stand corrected on the demo period for Pay-to-Blog, but in general, Supporter has rather superseded Pay-to-Blog and can do much more in fact. However, neither of them currently provide a notification system as you're requesting. Though big plans are underway regarding these things which we hope to see soon.

Membership seems to be the only viable option currently if you're in need of a notification/messaging system. While Membership's Communications can take care of all the messaging you'll need for your members, Pings would be the best way to notify the admin/whoever else and this would be done with a bit of custom code.

I'm in the process of setting up something of a tutorial on the Pings to make this all simpler and I'll get that posted back here, hopefully in a moment. I think it will make the whole Pings thing simple as pie too. I've got it roughly laid out so let me just get it ready for the forums.

Cheers,
    David

DavidM

Hi Larry,

We've got a bit of updating to do still with the installation pages so I'll just post this here until we get that setup for a more public tutorial.

As a start though, you'll want to grab yourself a copy of the freshly updated Membership plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/membership

So what we have here is a basic file that that the Ping will communicate with. We'll call it pingtest.php and it can be placed anywhere on your server, but for simplicity, it may be best to just place it right in your WordPress folder. We'll just say that folder is domain.com/.

This following is the code for pingtest.php (all configurable as you like):

<?php
    $to = 'my@email.com';
    $subject = 'Testing';
    $headers  = 'MIME-Version: 1.0' . "\r\n";
    $headers .= 'Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1' . "\r\n";
    $message = "Blog url: ".$_POST['blogurl']."<br>
    		   Username: ".$_POST['username']."<br>
    		   Subscription: ".$_POST['subscription']."<br>
    		   Membership Level: ".$_POST['level']."<br>
    		   " ;
    mail($to, $subject, $message, $headers);
    ?>

So, copying that code and placing it in a blank file called pingtest.php, you can place that file in your WordPress root folder.

Now we'll go to Membership > Edit Pings. The Ping could then be setup somewhat as follows:

Ping Name: Ping Test
    Ping URL: http://domain.com/pingtest.php
    Ping Data:
    blogurl=%blogurl%
    username=%username%
    subscription=%subscriptionname%
    level=%levelname%

Strip query strings from URL: POST

With that Ping created, you can now specify that Ping in any of your subscriptions or membership levels and whenever those subscriptions or membership levels are added to a member, it will set off the Ping.

In this particular case, the Ping results in an email being sent to the email specific in the pingtest.php script. That email will include the blog name, username of the member in question, subscription level being added/change, and membership level being added/changed.

With that, you should be able to get your admins all the information they need.

Cheers!
    David

DavidM

Hi Larry,

Supporter works much the same way as Pay-to-Blog in regard to the blog creation process. Membership on the other hand would allow you to restrict blog creation until a member pays up. It includes a Blog Creation rule that lets you limit how many blogs they can create.

It would still involve a bit of a setup process getting Membership up and running the way you like, but from what it sounds like, Membership and Supporter together ought to do what you're looking to do.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

Disable WordPress registration - The membership plugin takes over the registration process, so you need to disable the standard WordPress registration.

To do this I went into >Site Admin>Settings and selected "Registration Is Disabled". Membership is enabled. But how do I get the membership plugin to take over the registration process? Do I need to update NOBLOGREDIRECT to point to the subscription page?

If registration is disabled, please set NOBLOGREDIRECT in wp-config.php to a URL you will redirect visitors to if they visit a non-existent site.

Regards,
    Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

I believe you'll want to use the setting "Logged in users may register new sites." so that users will be able to create blogs. Membership will take over the registration process with the setting setup this way.

Regarding Membership shortcodes, there is a way to utilize network-wide shortcodes with Membership but it's quite a complex setting. It would require using a global database table for Membership which would be set in the configuration file. Did you want to use such shortcodes?

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

I'm also a bit confused by Positive vs Negative membership rules.

If I put Categories in the the Positive section, then access is granted only for the checked?
    If I put Categories in the Negative secion, then access is denied for the checked?

Also many of the tiems list POS & Neg rules. I presume that these indicate how the rules work when added to the pos or neg rulesets. Is this correct?

BTW, I removed the Join Us Here button by setting the CSS display to NONE.

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

While display: none; isn't generally advised, it does get the job done in many cases!

To help you get more familiar with Membership, you could also take a look at the following 2 incredible tutorials. They're massive guides that can really help you get a grasp for how it works.

Create a Simple Tutorial Site with WPMU DEV Membership Plugin
    Drip Feed Your Content with the WPMU DEV Membership Plugin

To have visitors register without paying you could simply create a "Free" membership level. You may also want to create a "Stranger" level as it may help you control what "Strangers" see on your site. You'd then select that level in the "Stranger" options at Membership > Edit Levels.

Regarding the rules, I typically try to rely strictly on Positive rules myself. Using just the Positive area, you can simply check off the items you want for that particular membership level to see. Any items that are not checked, those membership levels would not see.

As a final note, you may have Membership network activated at the moment. You could, however, choose to activate it on a site-by-site basis by simply network de-activating it then at each site you'd like to use it, you could activate it locally there. That's just another option at your disposal.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

HI,

I'm trrying to create a membersonly level area for this BP site. The membership plugin description says:

A BuddyPress membership site, where different groups and blogs are only visible to members, so members can join for free and then upgrade to key groups and forums.

There is a an inconsistncy in this statement, first if says "groups and blogs", then it syas "groups and forums".

I need to create a "members only" area in this buddypress site. I think this area could be a blog. How do I desginate that a blog is only accessable to those logged in with specified memebership levels?

I was thinking of doing this but it does not seem to address the notion membership level access to exclude logged in "visitor" access:

Maybe I could get by with membershiponly group pages, but I have no idea yet how that might work.

Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi

As a final note, you may have Membership network activated at the moment. You could, however, choose to activate it on a site-by-site basis by simply network de-activating it then at each site you'd like to use it, you could activate it locally there. That's just another option at your disposal.

Yes, I do have it network activated. I was hoping that this would make the membership settings carry over to the blogs/sites for the paying members. They do have the ability to set up their own seperate membership configuration for each blog, but I don't know that level of complexity. Can I turn that off? I was hoping to have a membersonly blog, but I dunno how to do that either.

I also noticed that since the admin account is not yet a member, when I view the site as admin the "protected page" gets displayed in the nav bar. I thought this page would only be displayed when "If a post / page / content is not available to a user, this is the page that they user will be directed to." I don't need it on my navigation bar.

I'm also wondering how the the membership subscription rates will mesh with Supporter rates.

Regards,
    Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

I need to create a "members only" area in this buddypress site. I think this area could be a blog. How do I desginate that a blog is only accessable to those logged in with specified memebership levels?

That really depends on what you want them to access in that blog. If it's a page, you'll want to use a page rule. If you'd like to restrict access to specific posts you can use the post rule and specify which posts you'd like them to be able to access. You've got a number of ways to achieve this.

The [subscriptionform] starts with Step 2. What am I missing?

I also noticed that since the admin account is not yet a member, when I view the site as admin the "protected page" gets displayed in the nav bar. I thought this page would only be displayed when "If a post / page / content is not available to a user, this is the page that they user will be directed to." I don't need it on my navigation bar.

The Super Admin account (and also any user account that you allow to access Membership options), is basically immune to Membership rules. So you, as Super Admin, wouldn't see the site as a user sees it. You'll want to create other test accounts and use a different browser to login using those accounts in order to see what those users would see.

That would be the same reason you're seeing step 2 of the registration process as well. If you log out, you'll see the first step.

Yes, I do have it network activated. I was hoping that this would make the membership settings carry over to the blogs/sites for the paying members. They do have the ability to set up their own seperate membership configuration for each blog, but I don't know that level of complexity. Can I turn that off? I was hoping to have a membersonly blog, but I dunno how to do that either.

You can choose to make the Membership plugin inaccessible to other sites if you like. You could also choose to make it a Supporter only plugin as well.

To get Membership settings to persist from site to site takes just a bit of a setup. You'll have to manually edit the membership/membershipincludes/includes/membership-config.php file.

On line 20 of that file you'll see the following:
    if(!defined('MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES')) define( 'MEMBERSHIP_GLOBAL_TABLES', false);

You'll simply need to change that 'false' to 'true'. You may also have to delete the m_installed option from your wp_options table in order for the plugin to create the global database. As I mentioned earlier, this one is a bit of a complex setup so it does take just a bit of tinkering.

I'm also wondering how the the membership subscription rates will mesh with Supporter rates.

You wouldn't have to configure the Supporter rates if you use the Supporter integration in Membership. It would all be taken care of by simply ticking the Supporter integration option when setting up your subscriptions in Membership > Edit Subscriptions.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

I was kinda hoping fo restrict an entire blog as a a membersonly area. In this way there would be no human error/mistake leaving content visible. I would go with blocking all the pages, that would cover most everything pretty easy. I will test your code change once my 'login" issue gets resolved.

I appreciate your help. At this point my implementation testing as other users is hung up with this issue:

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

My login-form issue has now been resolved for bp-corporate:

login form missing

I also noticed that since the admin account is not yet a member, when I view the site when logged in the membership "protected page" gets displayed in the nav bar where I don't need it. How do ensure that this page will only be displayed when needed:

If a post / page / content is not available to a user, this is the page that they user will be directed to."

I don't need this page on my navigation bar.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

I'm trying to thet the [members] [/members] shortcode tag to work in the various sites/blogs with in my bp site.

1. It was easy to change the membership-config.php file. This did not make the shortcode work in my test sites.

2. In phpMyAdmin I could not find a wp_options table. There are a few that look like wp_1_options, but I did not see anything like an m_installed option within these tables.

However, in the file membershipadmin.php I did find these two lines:

$installed = get_option('M_Installed', false);
    update_option('M_Installed', $this->build);

Do I change the first line to 'true' also?

Larry

DavidM

Hiya Larry,

It would definitely be best to get that option out of the database itself rather than altering the code. Though if you couldn't find the option in the database, I'm guessing everything's as it needs to be. Could you try giving the repair database feature a go too? It may help give ya a fresh start with the global tables.

And as for the shortcodes on the sub-sites, could you let me know if they're working on the main site? However they're working on the main site, they should persist on the sub-sites so if we can at least make sure they're working on that main site, we'll have a good start of things.

As for the protected pages showing in the navigation, did you mean that you as Super Admin can see the item?

Thanks,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

As for the protected pages showing in the navigation, did you mean that you as Super Admin can see the item?

What I'm sanying is that this membership page that is supposed to display for protected areas is showing up on my NAV bar the same way as the About page... as if it was a regular page.

I can only guess, but maybe that change to the membership config file wiped out my membership levels, subscriptions etc.I will repair the db and then set up the plugin again.

Larry.

tishimself

Hi,

I did the db check and repair. The membership levels and such were still gone. Then tried to add new member leverls, but it would not add them. I tried to add a ping but it would not add. This was a result of the change to 'true' in the membership config file...

When backed out the confing change and all my levels and stuff returned:
    1. I was able to restrict free users from seeing the About page. When I tried to go to the About page directly, it did not display the Protected Access Page but this message is displayed on the About page:

Permission Denied
    Not Found / No Access
    The page you are looking for either does not exist, or you do not have the permissions to access

it

2. Then I was able to let them see the About page, but protect some content between the [members] tag from Free Users.
    3. The [members] shortcode does not work when they vist a site that uses these tags.
    4. When I login as a Free User the "Protected Access Page" is listed on my Nav Bar. So the Protected Access Page does not display when it is supposed to, and does where I don't want it. I thought it would be handy way to ask people to register, but it seems broken. BTW, it does not display on the nav bar when not logged in. Seems to me that I could just delete this page.

I still need to find a way to protect Members only content in site blogs. When I go to the dashboard of one of these sites, it does have the membership plugin deactivated ready to configure, but it would be impractical to activate it and require a second login to view membership content on a multitude of blogs.

BTW, as far as deleting OPTIONS from a table, I did not see any options listed for tables. I will remind you there was no wp_options table.

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

The main issue at this point seems to have to do with the global tables, which actually is quite a complex issue in this case. To clarify, in moving over to global tables you would end up losing your settings as they currently are, since the global tables utilize a separate, global table rather than individual tables for each site.

I see what you're saying about the options table. I should have clarified, since you're on a multisite, you should expect to see wp_*_options where * represents a respective blog/site id. And I believe you'd have wp_1_options as the main site's options table in your case, where you should expect to see the tables.

There should be two main prefixes in your database related to Membership, m_ and membership_. For moving to the global database (besides just changing the membership-config.php value) you'll want to be sure those m_ and membership prefixed entries are remove as all, the chief of them being m_installed.

You could try executing the following to get all the entries:
    SELECT * FROM wp_options WHERE option_name LIKE 'M!_%' escape '!';

And from there you can easily delete them.

The other issues you mentioned regarding the Membership rules and protected page should be a rather simple matter in comparison and we can go through those as well. I was just hoping we could get this global tables matter resolved.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,
    I just sorted the options by name. Please confirm that these the option names you want me to delete:
    membership_active
    membership_bp_options
    membership_options
    membership_simpleinvite_options
    membership_supporter_integration_1
    M_active_gateways
    M_Installed
    M_Newsstream_Installed

Seems like a backout will require a restore. Turning back will not be easy, so b4 moving ahead:
    What am I trying to accomplish? How will the membership plugin work once this is implemented?

I will have 1 membersonly blog and some 100 content protected blogs that are not to be viewed by strangers(those not logged in).

I was hoping to avoid full members needing a seperate login to the membershiponly blog after they have signed into the buddypress site. This is one reason I think I need global membership rules.
    An alternative w/o global membership rules could be to make the members only area a page with subpages rather than a blog.

To search/view the content on these 100 sites will require a free account so they will have agreed to the TOS. Full members can also view the content on all sites. I can't require free visitors to login to each of these 100 blogs, so I planned to use the [free] level shortcode tags to protect the content on these blogs. This is why I think I need global shortcodes. Would I be able to manage access to all these sites with global page level rules? Will all the pages for these sites appear in the 'global' membership rules?

Will the members with blogs will have the ability to use the membership plugin for their individual site?

Thanks,
    Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

Yes, those appear to be all you'd need to remove for the global database to work properly. I'd definitely recommend a backup before the process too, just in case you'd like to go back and try the site-by-site database setup afterward.

Regarding the page with sub-pages (essentially emulating a sub-site), that sounds like it could work rather nicely, but you'd know better of course, what other features you're planning to implement, so you'd know how viable that is.

Given what you've described regarding the access to the other sites, I really don't know how to achieve that any other way than to use a global database. I don't know of another plugin that works this way either, so I imagine this may be the only option.

And in the case of a global database, I believe the pages and categories are based on id, so as long as the id is the same on a sub-site, that page should be restricted. I'll have to double-check that but I recall that being the case.

Also, with a global database, you wouldn't be able to use Membership on a per-site basis. It could only be one or the other, I'm afraid.

tishimself

Hi,

I deleted the options in the DB and set the code to 'true'. Then I went into membership to add in the levels, mark a couple users as members, etc.

It does not seem to have changed anything. I can see the membership stuff in a members site dashboard. The shorttcodes work in the main site pages, but not in member blogs/sites. The site blog pages are not listed on the membership rules to control them.

I also noticed that those options were added back into the DB. Maybe they have different values.
    Confused, but I remember it well... I deleted them again for grins and they have returned.

Regards,
    Larr

tishimself

Hi,

"The shortcodes work in the main site pages, but not in member blogs/sites. The site blog pages are not listed on the membership rules to control them."

The other issues you mentioned regarding the Membership rules and protected page should be a rather simple matter in comparison and we can go through those as well.

Maybe you could help me with the protected page issue too Just so I can keep this moving fwd.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

As I continue to test..
    Vistors aka Strangers were sucessfully restricted to view the one blog permitted by the rules, but on that blog the [members] tags are ignored. However, there are no page level restrictions for these sites. This is not a show stopper for me.

Logged in Members still see the membership plugin stuff on their dashboard. They also see the protected page listed on the navbar. I tried to remove pages like Join Us, but they too remain on the navbar. This has me stumped.

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

I believe the Protected Page would show on the navbar since it's not being restricted itself. To get it removed from the navbar, you can use the Menu rule. Could you give that a try?

The page level restrictions, I believe, has solely to do with the pages being restricted by id rather than by page name. That's something we can take a closer look at too.

Logged in members should not be able to see the Membership plugin menus, that's something that would have to be specified in the user profiles for those members. Could you take a look at those user profiles and at the very bottom you should see an option to allow administration of Membership?

Also, with Membership, you have the ability to restrict admin menu items (all the stuff on your left-hand sidebar in the admin area) using the Administration > Main Menu and Sub Menu rules. Those rules should easily persist from site to site too. You may not need them, but they are there if you'd like to restrict access to particular features.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

I went into my user profile and unchecked the Membership Admin. I still see the membership menu items on this dashboard. As for removing the Membership menu items via a rule, is the Admin immune from these rules? I don't want to set up a rule that makes the Membership Menus unavailable to the admin account.

I don't see IDs associated with any pages in the Membership rules.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

1. I added a negative Menu rule to the Members Level and selected only the Membership menu for exclusion. So it should not show up a member level users dashboard. But it does. How do I remove the Membership menu from the non-admin site dashboards?

2. As admin, I do not see member's site pages listed in the rulesets with IDs or any other way.

3. A new issue with the Membership Option to specify a signup code. To be useful this option should be at tied to the memership level. I see no reason for Strangers or Free Users to need a signup code. But it would be handy for levels such as Members, VIP or Vendors to have such a code.
    Can you make this happen?

Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry, I'm really not sure what you're referring to regarding the Blogs Widget and Membership as Membership doesn't provide a rule for restricting access to particular blogs. Could you clarify that?

1. I added a negative Menu rule to the Members Level and selected only the Membership menu for exclusion. So it should not show up a member level users dashboard. But it does. How do I remove the Membership menu from the non-admin site dashboards?

Hmm, that should restrict them. Could you try adding it to the positive rather than negative area, inverting the ticked options?

2. As admin, I do not see member's site pages listed in the rulesets with IDs or any other way.

Do you mean the members list at Membership > Edit Levels? If so, sites wouldn't display there as the list is meant only to provide membership details. You should be able to see all the sites and IDs at Network Admin > Sites though.

3. A new issue with the Membership Option to specify a signup code. To be useful this option should be at tied to the memership level. I see no reason for Strangers or Free Users to need a signup code. But it would be handy for levels such as Members, VIP or Vendors to have such a code.
    Can you make this happen?

Are you referring to the Invite Codes? They're only meant to be used during the registration process as a way to keep non-invitees out. Is there some more specific way you'd like for this to work for existing members?

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

1. Neither a POS or NEG rule removes items from the Dashboard menu. I tried controling access to the Membership menu and the Performance menu(caching).

2. I thought by going with the global membership setup I could control access to members blog pages. Specifically, to restrict blog pages from being viewed by Visitors/Strangers and some blog content only members. The shortcodes would be used globally in much the same way. Neither seem to be the case.

3. Yes, I'm referring to Invite codes. I suppose it could work with existing members moving between levels, but that was not my initial thought. I would like to have Invite Codes for levels. So one could not sign up as a member w/o knowing the code, but free users could still register as Free Users. Another example would be to provide a new Vendor with an Invite Code, seperate from code used by regular members. Or maybe offer some to register as a free VIP with full access but only when they know the invite Code. I realize I can manually move a user to the VIP level or Vendor level.

5. I've added a screen shot for the Blog Rule. This one is *critical*. If I can't control site pages or use shortcodes on sites, then I need to be able to control at the Blog level. I thought this was working, but I need to test more cause it seems now it is not working.

I upgraded to 2.0.5 which seems to have wiped out some of my membership level rules.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

Oddly, my visitor level was gone, but I added it back in tested to confirm Item #5.

5. I set vistors rules to only permit viewing a few blogs and that is all they see when they go to the >Community>blogs. However, the blogs-widget plugin displays recent blogs and seems to ingore the membership rules.

Maybe these are only BuddyPress blog rules and the Widget is not supposed to follow these membership rules? In any case, the widget is a low priority since I can just not use the widget.

However, I think it is also true that if the site is set to be viewable on the internet, then the Membership plugin will not stop anyone who sees the blog/site listed in Google from viewing it.

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

Well my login form has returned but I have no idea why.

I have a problem wIth the membership rules to control access to blogs. As a visitor, when I go to >Community>blogs> it lists "All Blogs(n)" and displays the n blogs specified in my membership rule. But if I click on the "All Blogs(n)" then ALL blogs are listed, not just the n specified in the membership rule. This is means I no longer have control over viewing blog content by visitors, which I need to be able to do. The idea is that users *must* register to see these blogs. The only other solution is to use shortcodes in the blogs, but that is also not working.

I've also noticed that I need to manually activate new Free Users in the Edit Membership panel. Is there some setting I have that makes this happen? I've been searching but have not found it.

Your help is much appreciated.
    Kind Regards,
    Larry

tishimself

Hi,

I got the Free Subscription working, so the Free users can subscribe and not need to be activated manually. My Bad.

The "All blogs(n)" still is a problem. Maybe I should disable this link or change the CSS to not display it, but would rather have a fix to this and the Widget plugin to follow the Membership blog rules.

<li class="selected" id="blogs-all">All Blogs (5)

However, I don't understnd how this link actaully works to display more than the 5 blogs. It does not seem that this link would do what it does.

Larry

tishimself

Hi

How can I gain Membership access control over member blogs and BuggyPress Pages?

I have a problem wIth the membership rules to control access to blogs. As a visitor, when I go to >Community>blogs> it lists "All Blogs(n)" and displays the n blogs specified in my membership rule. But if I click on the "All Blogs(n)" then ALL blogs are listed, not just the n specified in the membership rule. This is means I no longer have control over viewing blog content by visitors, which I need to be able to do. The idea is that users *must* register to see these blogs. The only other solution is to use shortcodes in the blogs, but that is also not working

Also the Buddypress pages are not listed in the Membership rules at all. So for example, I can't control access to >Community>blogs page> or the Members directory page. If I don't use BuddyPress and install your Directory plugin, will I gain control over this page? Is there a way to generate content similar to the buddypress Community pages w/o Buddypress that will give me access control over the pages?

Larry

tishimself

Hi,

FYI, I upgraded to tle latest BP-Corporate theme.

The "All blogs(n)" issue remains.

And a new membership issues has come up. On the renewal form get a Free User with a Finite subscription it says:

You are currently on the subscription : Free Users
    Your membership is set to automatically renew

You are currently on the subscription : Free Users
    Your membership is due to expire on : 29th July 2011

How can both of these statements be true? I did set it up to move to a paying Member subscription after a finie 8 weeks as a Free User. But I would think this would require the Free User to decide to upgrade subscriptions and would not be automatic, and the comment implies that the Free User subscription will automatically rennew.

David, this thread has gone thru many topics related to Membership. Since you helped me move to the global version of the membership plugin, I figured it was best to keep to one thread. I am open to your suggestions as to how best to move these topics forward. As always, I appreciate whatever help you can provide.

Regards,
    Larry

DavidM

Hi Larry,

Sorry for the delays, we got a bit swamped over here for a moment! I'm not totally sure, but regarding the account/renewal form, I'm thinking it might be that the particular member somehow got added using both the Free gateway and the PayPal with Single Payments gateway. Could you check your members list at Membership > Edit Members to see what shows for that member under the gateway column?

Also, regarding BuddyPress, you'll find the following thread discusses how to limit those pages, as well as any other page or set of pages on your site.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/group-urls-for-member-profile-restriction-in-buddypress

URL Groups can get quite a bit complicated when using "Regular Expressions" but they're simply the most powerful thing I think you can find in a membership plugin, as they let you restrict access to virtually any aspect of your site.

Also, regarding the shortcodes, I'm thinking that may not actually work sitewide as such. But I believe there's a great workaround. I provided a bit of code for an alternative shortcode that may just work out perfectly here.
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/i-want-only-one-no-access-message-when-post-contains-more-than-one-shortcode-how

Place in a basic plugin and network activated, that shortcode provided there should do the trick for your shortcode needs. It also provides a couple nifty features, one being that you can specify a subscription level as well with it, the other being that you can provide messages independently, based on each use of the shortcode.

Cheers,
    David

tishimself

Hi,

Could you check your members list at Membership > Edit Members to see what shows for that member under the gateway column?

Sorry but I had deleted these userids so, no I can't.

I disabled the Free subscription Gateway to see what happens. It goes straight to Paypal for a 30 Free subscription which says it will upgrade it 30 days to a paying membership. This corresponds to what the Free Subscription lists as the next step after 30 days. I'm guessing this is working as designed.

Is there any way to allow free registered users the option to upgrade manually on the renewal form?

I removed the auto upgrade sequence for the Free Subscription level and signed up a test user.
    The user came up as inactive in the Membership user list. I suspect that this is because my Network Admin>options> selects users may register new blogs and needs to be user accounts can be registered? Is this correct?

And yes the gateway for this user lists free subscriptions and the renewal form provided no upgrade options. So I manually moved the gateway for this user to Paypal and now the user can upgrade to a paying member on the renewal form. Is there a way to avoid making this change manually?

Larry