SupportNeed Help NOW - Pro Sites auto payment blocks out users - UPDATED

I can't add more info to my first post about this until someone comments. Since I have a serious issue and don't want to miss getting an answer when a staffer eventually comes by, I'm going to start a new thread with the new info I have gathered.

My first Pro Site owner just had her second payment automatically deducted through PayPal yesterday. Although the payment went through (see screenshot), her pro sites status was withdrawn an hour later. When she tried to login to her dashboard, she was redirected to a payment/upgrade page.

When her Pro Sites status was withdrawn, her site reverted from her premium theme to the Twenty Eleven theme — and so the header, background, and other site customizations were lost.

I need a solution ASAP. With payment made, her site should NOT have been blocked.

On a slightly different matter, in order to give the site owner access (until the problem is solved), I went to Network Admin>Sites and clicked on "Manage" next to her site name (when ProSites is activated, this link is the level name, such as "Basic":wink:.

I clicked the checkbox next to "Permanent" and clicked Extend so that her site would not expire until I fix the problem.

As you can see from the screenshot, this checkbox does not stay checked. After clicking extend, the box UNchecks itself, even though the permanent extension IS in place.

First, I think that's a bug. Second, I need to know how to UNDO this permanent extension once the problem is fixed.

Thanks for your help.

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

The checked/unchecked box is not a bug, if this box remained checked than other issues would arise to include the issue of not being able to revoke the permanent status with yet again another check mark.

The important thing is that when you check it - it grants the permanent status plus designates the account that it has such status which is shown in your screen shots.

However, the screen shot that you have not included is the one showing how to revoke the status which I have indeed included below.

To revoke the current status you simply put a check mark in the spot below showing a red check mark and you click the modify button pointed to with the arrow and permanent status is revoked with the expiration date set to expired on the date you revoked the status.

Please test this and advise that you can grant extended permission and revoke it in the click of your mouse.

Cheers, Joe

• ProSapien

Please advise if you are seeing this malfunction as well?

No. I've been using PayPal all day, no problems. Also (as per both this and the other thread) her payment went through just fine. No problems with the payment and (as you can see above) the payment is acknowledged in Pro Sites.

How many Pro Sites are you operating?

What is the IPN set to return to?
    Is auto return On or Off?
    Is Data transfer on or off?

Where to get this info?

I have an unresolved IPN problem. On March 20 Aaron said he was going to make a code change to fix it.

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

Please consider what I mentioned was not if PayPal was accepting payments or not, I want to check your PayPal IPN settings and you basically ignored the point.

Log into PayPal and go to your profile --> Selling Options --> IPN settings and please let me know what the IPN is set at?

I understand and seen your post to Aaron, but I am working this with what we currently have before us and is working on thousands of web sites other then your own. Please note: there is not a single ticket concerning this issue other then your own at this time.

Please advise and understand I am just trying to help you any way that I possibly can.

Cheers, Joe

• ProSapien

Um, why the testy response?

I didn't ignore your question, I asked you where to get the info you asked for. (See my comment above.)

I gave you the info about Aaron and the IPN because you asked about the IPN and I thought it might be relevant. If the problems are connected, the information might be useful. I also thought that the fact that the payment cleared and that Pro Sites acknowledged it might be USEFUL to the discussion.

Sheesh.

• ProSapien

What is the IPN set to return to?

Do you mean the URL? If so:
    http://popcred.net/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

Is auto return On or Off?

Don't see any setting for this.

Is Data transfer on or off?

Don't see any setting for this.

To specify I went to:

My Account>Profile

From there I went to:

My selling tools>Getting paid and managing my risk>Instant payment notifications>Update

If that's not the right place, could you clarify? (I have a business account, if that makes a difference.)

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

I am sorry that you perceived my response as testy - though I clearly did not view it as such, text certainly leaves a lot to be desired for communication :slight_smile:

Forward --> Do you mean the URL? If so:
    http://popcred.net/wp-admin/admin-ajax.php?action=psts_pypl_ipn

Absolutely correct and it appears to be set perfectly.

Logged into PayPal go to Profile --> My Selling Tools --> Website preferences

Auto Return for Website Payments?

You want it to be on and put in your websites URL

Payment Data Transfer (optional)

Set to on in my configuration.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• ProSapien

I just set the auto return to on with my url in the field.

This doesn't affect automatic subscription payments in any way I can see. Does it?

I also turned on Data Transfer. The PayPal site says this:

Payment Data Transfer allows you to receive notification of successful payments as they are made.

I'm unsure, but it sounds like this function ads payment details to MY payment return page??? Here is may payment return page:

http://popcred.net/thank-you/ ?

Again, not sure how this would keep ProSites from closing down accounts that are paid.

I will have more renewals in the next few days, so hope to get this solved before I have more shutdowns.

• ProSapien

Turning on data transfer requires a CGI script on my site:

PayPal will post a token associated with the transaction, and you will need to send this token back to PayPal in order to obtain the payment details associated with the transaction. Based in the CGI script that you write for the page associated with the Return URL, you may dynamically post transaction details and confirmation that the payment has been completed to your customer. To use Payment Data Transfer, you must be able to support this notification system.

Please use the following identity token when setting up Payment Data Transfer on your website.

Until I hear otherwise, I'm turning that off.

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

This doesn't affect automatic subscription payments in any way I can see. Does it?

No it does not affect them in anyway, shape, or form.

I had tagged this as optional. It appears that they have indeed changed this to some degree since I joined them in 1998 and this was an optional setting if your programming could handle it and ours obviously does.

When running multiple Pro Sites then the IPN must be set to resolve to the IPN forwarder that I believe is placed in the root of the network installation.

Without the IPN Forwarder, due to your multiple Pro Sites applications, the IPN cannot determine which one to resolve too.

Please advise on how it goes with the forwarder in action.

Cheers, Joe

• ProSapien

No it does not affect them in anyway, shape, or form.

??? So why was I directed to do this? I'm confused.

I had tagged this as optional.

???

It appears that they have indeed changed this to some degree since I joined them in 1998 and this was an optional setting if your programming could handle it and ours obviously does.

Are you saying there's a WPMUDev CGI script to go with this or something? Not sure who "ours" is in your last sentence.

When running multiple Pro Sites then the IPN must be set to resolve to the IPN forwarder that I believe is placed in the root of the network installation. Without the IPN Forwarder, due to your multiple Pro Sites applications, the IPN cannot determine which one to resolve too

I tried to restate this to see if I understand, but I'm not sure how. Are you saying that the autoreturn somehow tells Pro Sites which site to keep open?

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

So why was I directed to do this? I'm confused.

Turning on data transfer requires a CGI script on my site

When you presented the fact that PayPal says that it requires a CGI script for the data transfer to work had caught me by surprise because several years ago that was not the case - it would transfer the users data to any program wanting to accept it. Obviously this is not the case anymore. Sorry for the confusion concerning this issue and I answered your question.

In my post where I recommended turning this feature on I clearly said Data Transfer was optional.

Are you saying there's a WPMUDev CGI script to go with this or something? Not sure who "ours" is in your last sentence.

This was my perspective and i was referring to our own setups that we, the two corporations that I am Global Network Administrator thereof use, not connected to WPMU Dev.

So as I am thinking I am writing and I used we referring not to WPMU Dev but to the other two in this specific case.

I tried to restate this to see if I understand, but I'm not sure how. Are you saying that the autoreturn somehow tells Pro Sites which site to keep open?

Nothing on PayPal tells Pro Sites which site to keep open, as a matter of fact PayPal does not tell anyone to open anything. It may tell that it has indeed received a payment and who from (IPN) and all the data about the payment and whom paid to include address and more if included (data transfer) or even which site to go back to once the transaction is complete (auto return) but no where does it do any other functions then those I just mentioned and certainly nothing about open anything.

My efforts are to try and help out here covering all bases when we checked everything possibly related to PayPal i.e. IPN, Auto return, and Data Transfer.

Now that we have this clear what is the status of the IPN forwarder on your WordPress install?

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• aecnu

Greetings ProSapien,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that's great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the 'Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)' box below the post area (or else we'll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU Dev member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.