Switch Off WPMU Dev Update Notifications. Or Remove The Need To Install WPMU Dev Update Plugin.

Is it absolutely necessary for WPMU Dev to force me to have to have their notifications all over my Admin panel?

I feel that since I have paid for their products, I should be permitted to decide which notifications I receive. If I insall ANY of their plugins, I am faced with a message at the top of EVERY Admin pages that I basically MUST install their updates plugin.

Then if I do actually install the updates plugin, I seem to be bombarded with update messages, that I am not interested in. Even about plugins, that I have not installed. If I want to know what new plugins WPMU Dev have created, I will log into the site and have look for myself.

Yes, I do agree that WPMU Dev do infact produce some excellent plugins, and I am more than happy to pay for them, but let me decide what shows up in my admin panel.

Also, could WPMU Dev confirm that if the updates plugin is installed, and that plugin is in contact with WPMU Dev systems, what information is being passed to WPMU Dev about my wordpress installation, its plugins, or its content? If WPMU Dev is obtaining information about the site and its administational set up, what permissions have been obtained to do this. Or is permission granted by installing the plugin. If it is granted by installing the plugin why can WPMU Dev provide the option of switching off the "Install Updates Plugin" message if we choose that we do not wish to.

I look forward to hearing from anyone who can help on these matters.

Thanks

Mason

Hiya locusuk,

Thanks for your feedback. The updates notification plugin was introduced at the beginning of the year as a way to help members be notified of updates to their plugins here, auto-download them from within the WordPress admin, and yes, let them know about future updates. All of these things were requested by members here.

Though we do encourage you to leave the notices on, you can turn them all off just by going to the WPMU DEV menu in Network Admin (for multisites) or under Settings (single-site installs). Scroll down to the bottom of this page and you'll see that you can easily turn off different sections or all updates entirely.

Through your WPMU DEV API you are able to auto-update our plugins. We don't collect information about your install, setup, dashboard, other WordPress plugins or anything of the sort.

Hopefully this helps a bit. I'd also mention that many users don't check the forums on a regular basis and had requested that they be notified of updates and new plugins - thus the reason for it's inclusion. While we're always looking for ways to improve, we feel this system serves a majority of our members well.

Timothy Bowers

Hey there, thanks for getting in touch.

You can find information from within our usage instructions here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/wpmu-dev-dashboard/#usage

That will show you how to turn off the announcements from the admin area.

If you require any further help the it would be best if you open your own, even if the issues seem closely related. That way it will remain independent of this one and ensure it doesn't confuse issues here if this thread needs reopening again by the author.

Posting on old threads can also lead to us missing your questions.

It also means the member who started this thread or anyone following it isn't inundated with post notifications each time we respond to each other. A lengthy thread could annoy the original thread starter

This also allows us to better track and answer your questions to ensure we don't miss any for ya.

If the current thread is relevant then please feel free to link back to this in your new one.

You can start a new thread here:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/qanda/

Thanks.