Switching from Donncha's Domain Mapping Plugin to WPMU Dev Plugin

Hello,

I'm currentty using Donncha's Dommain Mappinn Plugin v 0.5.1 on WPMU 2.9.2 using parked domains mapped over subdomains and would llke to switch to the WPMU Dev version. I'd like the transition to go as smoothly as possible, so can someone confirm that I understand the process correctly.

1. I am going to download the new plugin and put it in the mu-plugins directory.
  2. Deactivate Donncha's plugin
  3. Activate the new plugin
  4. Enter the Server IP into the admin options page
  5. (Now here is where I'm confused...) Go into each subdomain blog and enter the domain that is being mapped? Or will this carry over from Donncha's plugin?
  6. I'm done?

Two more questions:

1. If the world comes to an end trying to make this change can I simply deactivate the new plugin and reactivate Donncha's and be back to normal?
2. Do I have to mess with the CNAMEs or A records? If not is there any advantage to using CNAMES / A record instead of parking the domain?

Thanks.

• Aaron
    • CTO

I am going to download the new plugin and put it in the mu-plugins directory.

Please follow the instuctions as there are more files configs than that.

Or will this carry over from Donncha's plugin?

It should carry over. We used the same db table name for easy migration.

1. If the world comes to an end trying to make this change can I simply deactivate the new plugin and reactivate Donncha's and be back to normal?

Yes.

2. Do I have to mess with the CNAMEs or A records? If not is there any advantage to using CNAMES / A record instead of parking the domain?

See: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/installation/

• Matt
    • Flash Drive

Please follow the instuctions as there are more files configs than that.

Where are these instructions?

I went to https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/installation/ expecting to find the installation instructions but there was only the discussion of CNAMES and A records.

See: https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/domain-mapping/installation/

I did, and that is what prompted me to ask the question in the first place. I don't understand the difference between those configurations, their implications to me, their advantages and disadvantages... Short of having an error I don't know why one would chose one or the other.

• Matt
    • Flash Drive

I have looked everywhere and I can't find these more detailed instructions I've been instructed to consult. Inside the plugin's install.txt the only thing I'm instructed to do differently than I have specified above is to comment out the sunrise.php line in my wp-config.php, however I don't need to do that. That line is already commented out because I'm already using a domain mapping plugin.

What other "configs" must I do to accomplish the install?

Please provide me with the necessary instructions or at least link to where I can find them.

• Aaron
    • CTO

Sorry, we're still working on those directions. The install.txt should be what you need. You need to add the sunrise.php file to wp-content as well as the wp-config line. Ours is different from donnchas.

Short of having an error I don't know why one would chose one or the other.

Most people use domain mapping to allow their WPMU users to map domains themselves. It is not feasible as an admin to go in and park thousands of domains manually when people are trying to map them.

• Matt
    • Flash Drive

So just to be clear, these are the instructions?

1. Download the new plugin and put it in the mu-plugins directory.
    2. Replace the sunrise.php file and comment out the line in wp-config
    3. Deactivate Donncha's plugin
    4. Activate the new plugin
    6. Enter the Server IP into the admin options page
    7. I'm done? All the domains will be mapped?

Btw, thanks for the response.

• Goddess
    • Flash Drive

I know it's scary, but good to remember you're not actually making database changes with this swap. In other words, all you have to do is make sure you have a backup copy of your current domain mapping plugin and the sunrise.php - then, if anything is wonky, you can replace the two new files with your old ones and you're back where you started.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.