Switching to Facebook Ultimate

Hello Sirs,
Currently I have Facebook plugin installed on my multi-site and intend to switch to Facebook Ultimate plugin to take advantage of the comment importing function.

However, I have some questions and concerns:
1/Is switching from Facebook plugin to Facebook Ultimate smooth or does it require some additional tasks?
2/Is there a way to maintain/continue the default WP comment system alongside the facebook comment box? Currently, it is disabled and look ugly.
3/Can I connect with multiple facebook pages and/or timelines?
4/What happens to the imported comments if and when I stop using Facebook Ultimate?

Thanks for the help.
[In case the answers were already provided elsewhere, please help me by directing me with a link. Either the search function is not handy or I have not got used to it]

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Daniel Berhane, hope you're doing well today! :slight_smile:

#1: I haven't used the Facebook plugin you mentioned here, but there would be some setup required (entering the App information, setting up OpenGraph, etc.)

#2: As a matter of fact, if you check the "Use Facebook for comments" box inside of:

Facebook -> Facebook Settings -> Facebook Comments

You'll be able to have the Facebook comments on your page, in addition to the WordPress comments. :slight_smile:

#3: In order to post to, you mean? Not at present, autopost functionality would be tied to a single page (if autopost functionality is what you're interested in?).

#4: You're referring to comments imported from Facebook into WordPress (as WordPress comments), correct?

They shouldn't be affected by the change in plugins. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,
    Michael

• Daniel Berhane

Thanks Michael.
    #1: I was wondering if there is some other kind of potential conflict.
    Since that Facebook plugin is popular, WPMU's Facebook Ultimate plugin page should have put a note regarding the matter.

#2: Are you saying people will be able to comment both ways? Or only via Facebook comments?
    Especially in older posts, there may be 10 comments done the old way. Will someone be able to comment a reply to those? Or will she be limited to comment on the Facebook comment box from now onwards?
    [I know I should enable the plugin and test it, but I am wary of being overwhelmed by several issues on multiple sites at once.]

#3: I meant in relation to the Facebook comments. Can I associate site one with Facebook page 1; site 2 with Facebook 2, etc? Plus, does it work with timelines as well?

#4: Please clarify. What happens to the comments imported from Facebook into WordPress if and when I remove Facebook Ultimate?

Thanks again.

• Michael Bissett

Hey @Daniel Berhane! :slight_smile:

#1: Just had a quick check here, and I didn't see any conflicts arise from switching from the Facebook plugin to our Ultimate Facebook plugin. As a matter of fact, to speak on your last point:

#4: If by "comments imported from Facebook into WordPress" you're referring to the comments that reside in the Facebook comment box displayed on the page, then those will be transferred over just fine. :slight_smile:

Getting back in order here:

#2:

Are you saying people will be able to comment both ways? Or only via Facebook comments?

If only the "Use Facebook for comments" box is checked, then people will be able to comment both ways.

If the "Override WordPress discussion settings" box is also checked though, then users will only be able to comment via Facebook.

However, I should note that these settings will affect all posts, not just old ones.

...there may be 10 comments done the old way. Will someone be able to comment a reply to those?

If the "Override WordPress discussion settings" box is checked, your users won't be able to post a reply to another user's WordPress comment, but you may find that the reply button is still visible. In that case, you can try inserting the following CSS code into a plugin like Simple Custom CSS:

.comment .reply {
    display: none;
    }

#3:

I meant in relation to the Facebook comments. Can I associate site one with Facebook page 1; site 2 with Facebook 2, etc? Plus, does it work with timelines as well?

If you have a app created for each site, then yes, you'd be able to set up a page/timeline for each site to import comments from.

You'll want to check the appropriate boxes in the "Skip importing comments for these accounts" section inside of the Facebook Comments settings area, so that only comments from a particular page (or your personal timeline) are imported to a WordPress post.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Michael

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.