Subscription level expiring even though its set to indefinite

Hi guys - I have 48 hours to sort this issue so please please please... a quick response if possible.

I have membership set-up which at present just has a very simple configuration.

Subscription level : Inspiration Access
Membership Level : Free inspiration

The subscription level is set to indefinate, but this morning I recieved an email to one of the test accounts I set-up which told me my membership is about to expire in 7 days!!!

Please help as the first REAL signup was done on the 20th - and no way do I want such a confusing email going out to someone.

The gateway is set to Paypal as I'm currently building 2 higher levels which will be paid for, but this one is just free access which will never need to be paid for.

Please help!!!! What can I do to get rid of these expirys on those already registered people??

• aecnu

Greetings roobarb,

Thank you for this great question and a significant item to bring up.

Please post a screen shot of the members listing so that we may have a look at what we are dealing with.

Please be sure to mask the user ID's and their email addresses so that they cannot be seen.

Hopefully we can come up with a solution even though you have not updated the plugin in quite awhile.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• roobarb

Hi there,

Thanks so much for your help with this.

Here is a screen grab, I've just left the main columns of interest on there.

As far as the settings on the subscription plan go they are definitely set to Mode : Indefinite.

I'm concerned about making sure that those registered don't get the expiry notice. Can you think of anyway to get those people already registered reset somehow?

Regarding the update I'm using 3.2 and there didn;t seem to be anything in the update notes for 3.3 regarding this issue, otherwise I'd have tried that first.

Any help much appreciated.

• aecnu

Greetings roobarb,

Thank you for the screen shot, it is certainly appreciated.

I do indeed see the upcoming expiration's and I indeed think we need some clarification of indefinite.

Indefinite here does not mean that their subscription never expires, it means that they are indefinitely on this same level without the option to upgrade or change to another level.

Therefore the time comes in to play for what you indeed have set for the past subscribers - meaning that once we change the amount of time say to 10 years, I do not think it will have any effect on the current account.

So the first thing you want to do is change the time on the level.

Then you must either notify them that when their subscription expires they should just subscribe to the same subscription again (but with the time change above it will be much longer of course) ~or~ you need to hunt down the expiration dates in the database and manually change them.

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

• roobarb

Thanks for the reply, but... Really??????!!!!!

Indefinite doesn't mean indefinite, just that they're permenantly on the same membership level without the ability to upgade??? What??? If thats the case why has indefinite got any expiry on it at all?

This seems ludicrously complicated.

So i'm still no closer to fixing this, and am getting more and more frustrated.

Questions

1 where do i find expiry dates in the database? I'm gutted that the only solution appart from 'just email everyone' is to do this, so please advise where to look exactly as i shouldn't be needing to fiddle with the database to fix this in my opinion. So at least tell me where to look!

2 how on earth do i actually then set up the really simple scenario i'm trying to do ????
    Level1... Free membership for ever if you want it
    Level2/3... Free members can upgrade if they want for more content

Really this should be simpler!!! And yes i've read the manual!! And yes i'm fed up!

• aecnu

Greetings roobarb,

Thank you for the additional input, it is appreciated.

Indefinite doesn't mean indefinite, just that they're permenantly on the same membership level without the ability to upgade?

Because what happens is when in fact the subscription ends with an expiration date they then have the option to upgrade, but not during the defined time period - but with indefinite they can only stay on the same level. To be able to upgrade at the end of the defined time they must be set on finite.

If thats the case why has indefinite got any expiry on it at all?

Explained above.

where do i find expiry dates in the database?

In the wp_m_membership_relationships table.

how on earth do i actually then set up the really simple scenario i'm trying to do ????
    Level1... Free membership for ever if you want it
    Level2/3... Free members can upgrade if they want for more content

I would not call three levels of free memberships simple by any term of the word and does bring to mind a word you used in your last post, but this will not help resolve the situation.

As the Memberships are set now from my understanding, those that are set to expire will at that time after they expire to rejoin at the level they are at now. It is indefinite.

To go to another level then it requires "finite" to be set and they will be able to join any level.

As it is now they are locked into the level they are currently on as is dictated by the "infinite" setting.

To offer a complete layout, I would need to know the details of each level.

Keep in mind, I did not write this script, I did not create three free levels, I just try to help people work with the tools they get from WPMU Dev and other items if indeed I can help.

Please advise as necessary i.e. dates and level parameters so I can try to help further.

Cheers, Joe

• roobarb

Hi and thanks for the info regarding the database at least I know where to look.

I apologise, I know it is not your fault and that you are only trying to help - but I'm just so frustrated.

For the monthly membership I really think that these queries should be dealt with via a ticketed support system, not a forum like this, It really makes it hard as I can;t put any specifics as I know they'll be on the forum.

What I'm trying to do is what I believe to be a very simple concept and is an 'out of the box' for other membership plugins. But of course I'm already paying for the WPMU stuff, and nothing ever just seems to 'work' as it should. Its just incredibly complicated for anyone who isn't at the level of being able to tinker with code or with the database.

So heres's what I want to do...

Free access to some content - for ever if the subscriber wants. All they need to give us is a registration with their email and they get access to some additional stuff the normal visitor to the site can't see.

Level 2 - free access can then upgrade for £x/month to get the free access stuff plus specific information for level 2. No time limits, no other restrictions.

Level 3 - free access can upgrade for £xx/month to get free stuff plus a different set of specific access for level 3. No time limits, no other restrictions.

Thats it.

Please advise

• aecnu

Greetings roobarb,

Thank you for the detailed description and now I have a much clearer idea of what you want to do here which is absolutely appreciated.

The first subscription to set up is the free one of course which would be finite for a certain amount of days or whatever and when that subscription ends they will have the option to renew the free level or upgrade to any level below.

The second subscription set to indefinite time set to 10 years

The third subscription set to indefinite time set to 10 years

Please advise.

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.