Sync doesn't seem to be syncing

Maybe I am wrong in my uderstanding of how this plugin in suppose to work. It was my understanding that any change from the master site, would take place in all of the child sites.

When an account is created at the master site the accounts are all created (synced) at all the child sites. awesome.

But - when a user goes to the master site and resets their password - this does not change the passwords in the child sites - but...
If I log in to the master site, go to that user, and past in the password they changed it to, it then syncs with the other sites.
Makes no sense to me.

any ideas?

Thanks.

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Deryk,

I hope you're well today and thank you for your question!

The "User Sync" should be updating passwords that are changed on "Master" site (but not the other way around!) and syncing them to the sub-sites if the connection was not switched off.

I understand that you made sure that sites are still connected and new users that are created are synchronized, is that right? Also, is any of the sites - Master or Subsite(s) - a Multisite setup?

Please advise! I would also like to check that on your site so would it be possible that you granted access to both Master and the Subsite sites? Here's a guide on granting support access:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/wpmu-dev-dashboard-enabling-staff-login/

Best regards,
    Adam

Adam Czajczyk

Hello Deryk!

Thanks for granting access.

I checked the sites and if it comes to configuration it looks well at first look. I think however that I may be missing something so let's please make first sure that we are on the same side

Here's what I tested:

- I created myself a subscriber account on mater site (I added it via back-end)
    - in a separate browser I logged in into this account using the password I set in backend
    - in yet another separate browser I logged in successfully to the "child" site using the same username and password

Up to this point this works fine.

- on master site I updated my password on "my account" page (being logged in as a user, not an admin, so I "changed my own password")
    - it got updated on a child site and I was no longer able to login to it using my previous password - I could only use my new password

This seems to be working well as well.

I then logged out from both sites and tried to use "lost password" option on the master site. I did receive the e-mail with a link however this link wasn't working for me as instead of letting me set new password (or change the password for me and send it to me via mail) it just kept giving me the same "reset your password" form (kind of a loop then).

This would seem to be an issue then. I haven't try to use "lost password" on a child site but that wouldn't work anyway because sync is always "one way" from master to children.

That being said, can you please tell me what I missed here and/or what should I test in a different way?

As for Multisite. I asked it only to make sure that you are not using User Sync with multisite because the plugin is not compatible with it. I agree it would be great if it worked but currently it's not and I've already seen cases in the past where admins managed to install User Sync on multisite not knowing that it wouldn't work and that was causing similar issues

Looking forward to your replay,
    Adam

Deryk

The correct test would be in using the lost password, password reset path from the Master site.
    I have received one or two reports from consultants that they got the same loop as you are reported, but have also gotten the report that they were able to reset their password, yet could not log in to the child.
    Where might I look to trouble this "loop" that you experienced?
    Perhaps overall, this is the problem.

Thanks
    Derek.

Dimitris

Hey there Deryk,

the first thing that should be tested is a theme/plugin conflict situation. As this is a live website though, you may have to either activate a "under maintenance" message with a plugin or create a staging environment, meaning a exact copy of your site in another location on the same server, to use for debugging and testing.

In next link you can find a nice flow chart that can help you conduct this conflict test
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/manuals/using-wpmu-dev/getting-support/

I look forward for your results!
    Warm regards,
    Dimitris