't update entire Network with new WP version. CanPlease help out to fix that issue...

Hello Support Team,

as mentioned before our multi-db's works since a while smoothly compared to previous experiences we made and thanks to Jose and all you guys.

However, when it comes to update the entire network with the new WP version also updating bbpress forums we run into the situation that not all domains/db's will be updated as access to some sub domains is denied.

I strongly believe this is caused by only one circumstances which is that once some sub domains were renamed at the time we signed up WPMU DEV membership. Jose was so kind and installed for us multi-db's but unfortunately at that time we did not pay attention to this issue.

Obviously those 'previous domain names' still exists anywhere... but where?

Problem: every now our application goes down with either error can not establish db...

or

We were able to connect to the database server (which means your username and password is okay) but not able to select the bestofv2_global database.

Also then we receive messages like

[Jetpack Monitor] We noticed that your site career.bestofthebestonly.com was down!

... five minutes later

[Jetpack Monitor] Good news — your site careers.bestofthebestonly.com is back up!

BUT

we don't have and maintain a sub domain named careers.besto... anymore. It's now

NOW projects.bestofthebestonly.com ---> was careers.bestof...

The same situation is given for the other domains as listed below

academy.bestofthebestonly.com ---> was academy-skills.bestof...
aboutme.bestofthebestonly.com ---> was myturn.bestof...
humanresources.bestofthebestonly.com ---> was classified.bestof...
fundraising.bestofthebestonly.com ---> was ??? can't remember...
badges.bestofthebestonly.com ---> was zumtesten.bestof...

What we did so far...

1) Searched in ALL db's + tables for the old names, but not found any of the search words.
2) We went through ALL db's deleted empty tables. Result system is compared to before relative quick... much less hassle to enter any datas but still...
3) we run option repair on all db's manually...
4) we run option optimize on all b's manually...
5) Provider flushed MYSQL cache... no positive result that issue would be cleared.

Valued Suppot Team please help to solve this matter as we need to update our entire network and a solution for this problem could solve a few other minor issues like not displaying buddypress member avatars.

Many thanks in advance.
Looking forward to hear soon from you.
Prinz

• Jude

Hi there @Prinz

I was looking though this as well as your earlier tickets. Looks like something in the way the databases were created was not right and may have corrupted the tables.

I now know its not a permissions issue or a cache issue. I was going to call Jose from the SLS team to take a look into the earlier ticket but this one looks more detailed.

I am flagging SLS on this one so he can take a look for you. Note his response time may be a while longer.

Cheers
    Jude

• Jose

Hello there Prinz,

Hope you are doing well.

I can see that your network is updated to the latest WP release.
    I couldn't find any problem though. Is there some site failing?
    The sporadic problems while trying to connect to the DB are already clarified in several previous threads, but I will clarify it again: if certain url/site can't be loaded sporadically and you get a DB connection error, but then it loads fine when you try again, it means that there is no problems in your code. The problem is a weak DB server that can not handle all the requests. The exactly same site installed in a proper server should work perfectly fine.

Regarding jetpack monitor hitting old urls, it is not a problem in your site. It seems to be a cache problem in Jetpack service.
    When you connected the site to Jetpack Monitoring, it was using the old url. When you changed the url, it didn't update on their side.
    I saw some posts with similar issues in wp.org forums:
    https://wordpress.org/support/topic/jetpack-monitor-1

I would suggest to try disconnecting the sites from jetpack monitor and reconnect again. If that doesn't solve the problem, you may want to contact them and ask to update the urls for your site.

Last, the url career.bestofthebestonly.com be tracked as a working url by jetpack monitor even when you don't maintain that subdomain, and that's because your site will redirect to the main domain and return a 200 status code. So, they robot will take it as a good url. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps to clarify the situation.

Cheers,
    Jose

• Klaus

Good morning Jose,

thanks for prompt reply. Meanwhile the wp update on all sub domains is done. This worked not automatically through the function network update it needed first re-install wp on main domain next through adding at least on each sub domain one dummy in order to activate new wp version on sub domains as well.

Meanwhile Jetpack modified their databases too, we do not longer receive any of those previous mentioned mails.

Please be so kind and give instruction how to clean out .global db tables from empty/unused plugin leftovers without destroying it? As you know cleaned out manually all other db's; dropped hundreds of tables within them... but am not sure can I do that with .global too?

Looking forward to hear from you again.
    Prinz

• Jose

Hi Prinz,

This worked not automatically through the function network update it needed first re-install wp on main domain next through adding at least on each sub domain one dummy in order to activate new wp version on sub domains as well.

I don't understand what you mean. Could you please elaborate?

Please be so kind and give instruction how to clean out .global db tables from empty/unused plugin leftovers without destroying it? As you know cleaned out manually all other db's; dropped hundreds of tables within them... but am not sure can I do that with .global too?

Why do you need to clean DBs? What "leftovers" are you referring to?
    If you need to clean the global DB, it is the same as cleaning any other DB: if you remove the wrong information you will break the site.
    The question here is why you need to remove things from your DB.

Cheers,
    Jose

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.