table not in new db for wp_ms_posts

Have configured Multi-DB (which on bluehost involved creating all 16 databases manually since they do not allow root access!) and got all green at the final stage except for "wp_ms_posts" which is reading "table not in new db".

I now cannot access any of the sites on my network nor the superadmin dashboard.

Screenshot attached. How can I troubleshoot or remedy this please?

• pxjenkins
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

Hi Tim, David,

Many thanks for your reposes; yes - I did have Multisite-latest-posts-widget installed, but had deleted it prior to installing Multi-DB. The weird thing is that somehow it left this table behind in my wpms database on my host - which now I cannot delete because it says it is in use and I don't have root access to my database on bluehost (((

Is that behaviour sometimes seen from a deleted plugin?

I tried adding 'wp_ms_posts' to the list of global tables in db.php but that did nothing to resolve the problem, unfortunately.

Now, having to file a support ticket to get them to delete it their end.
    Oh I wish I had a dedicated server with root access :slight_smile:....

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again.

Many thanks for your reposes; yes - I did have Multisite-latest-posts-widget installed, but had deleted it prior to installing Multi-DB. The weird thing is that somehow it left this table behind in my wpms database on my host - which now I cannot delete because it says it is in use and I don't have root access to my database on bluehost (((

You should be able to get bluehost to give you a hand on removing that table. I'm sure they would help if you are having issues in removing it.

Is that behaviour sometimes seen from a deleted plugin?

Plugins and themes can install all sorts of stuff in your DB. When removing them its not always removed. Some themes and plugins gives you the option to clear but many don't.

I recommend getting a sandbox install going where you can test plugins and themes to your hearts content. Then when you find something you want to use for sure, just move it over to your production site.

I posted this a while ago which you might find useful:

https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/workflow-for-setting-up-an-online-service-like-edublogs#post-86111

Now, having to file a support ticket to get them to delete it their end.
    Oh I wish I had a dedicated server with root access :slight_smile:....

A small VPS is not much cheaper than a dedicated server and would give you root access. Maybe something to consider.

Let us know how you get on with this. :slight_smile:

• pxjenkins

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your latest. I've had to file a support ticket with bluehost, so waiting...!

I read your other post with interest. One question, though: I'm using a mac, and I'm wondering what is the most straightforward and comprehensive option for a sandbox. I installed Bitnami to try on a single WP site, but does it work with MS? Or, MAMP? Or Desktop Server? For me, choosing one of these is tough..also, I want to ensure that any WPMS sandbox I create can be easily uploaded to live on bluehost - I have BackupBuddy already, which might help - but what is your advice on this, please?

Didn't quite get your last line: do you mean that I should consider a small VPS - or a dedicated server?

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey again. :slight_smile:

One question, though: I'm using a mac, and I'm wondering what is the most straightforward and comprehensive option for a sandbox.

I also run Macs :wink:

You could look at Mamp:

http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

But I would look to get the setup working with DNS, ie something with a NAS drive. Qnap drives can do that. Easier to make them available on the net as well and using a domain with them.

But the best option, the easiest option would be get a second cheap hosting account on a web server. Buy a random domain. Mine is cowpat.net :slight_smile: then install and test WP through that. Its a great way to have a separate development/sandbox site. Its the easiest as well, rather than working locally.

Your site could be developement-yourdomain.com as an example

As an example of something you need to consider locally. Working with IPs, working with wildcards, etc, etc. If you paid a host a couple of dollars a month for something real basic because (don't allow registrations and mark it to not index in search engines) it gets rid of all the other hassles of getting your local environment right.

Didn't quite get your last line: do you mean that I should consider a small VPS - or a dedicated server?

Well a VPS is not much a month compared to a dedicated server. And you can get root access just like a root server, just without the overheads. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps.

• pxjenkins

Hi Tim,

That's really helpful - thanks!

In fact, I decided to try out Desktop Server Premium because of its ability to design and test 'live- in tandem with Dreamweaver...time will tell re its ability to deploy a WPMS multisite up to bluehost - or another host, maybe a VPS one...

Thanks for the tip on VPS - I just confirmed with vps.net that they do indeed allow root access to databases through phpmyadmin, though not to the server. Only issue is that the $20 pm account only allows 10 databases - whereas presumably Multi-DB requires a minimum of 16, is that correct?

PS cowpat.net :slight_smile:...sounds like something out of Wallace and Grummit...:slight_smile:

• Timothy Bowers
    • Chief Pigeon

You should be able to get better on a VPS. You can find providers that will just give you a VPS where you can install on it what you wish. :wink:

Anyway:

1-5,000 blogs/sites you should be fine with your WordPress default database

5,000 - 50,000 blogs/sites - go with 16 databases

50,000 - 100,000 blogs/sites - use 256 databases

100,000+ blogs/sites - use 4096 databases

Hope that helps.

• James Farmer
    • CEO (of WPMU DEV, honest)

Lots, talk to Michael & GB about it sometime.

I think we're on about double the resources we were here: https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/scaling-wordpress-wpmu-buddypress-like-edublogs/ (which makes sense as we have double the blogs).

It's kinda shifted beyond my comprehension to be honest, I have a vague idea of how stuff is setup, but fortunately a couple of sysadmins to do the hard stuff :slight_smile:

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.