Table rate not calculating on tax inclusive total

I think I might have found an assumption in the table rate postage in Marketpress. My store is set to display tax inclusive prices. At checkout the contents of the cart displays the tax breakdown for the order in the cart.
I have the store set for free postage for all orders over $79.99 ($80).
When it comes to reviewing the contents of the cart before checkout. With a tax inclusive total of $80 in the cart (subtotal of $73.45 and $6.55 in taxes) the cart applies our $8 shipping charge, when the charge should be $0 according to our table rules.
I do not expect this behaviour as I would expect the table rate to calculate the ‘total’ (i.e. total spend) to calculate postage rather than the subtotal (excluding tax).
If this is not reviewed and seen as a support fix, can I recommend an urgent enhancement to the product which allows the person configuring whether the total is tax inclusive or tax exclusive.
Looking forward to your thoughts on the matter.
Cheers,
James

• jameswilliams90
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

In terms of using Marketpress in Australia I'm starting to consider this to be a bug. Consider selling in multiple markets... using 73.45 as the total for calculating free postage is fine for Australia where the GST is levied, however when shipping to other countries the basket will calculate free shipping on this lower amount.

• Ollie
    • The Incredible Code Injector

Some clients had a similar problem a few weeks and found that for some reason a few products had been set as $0 or it had a special rate of 0 weight as the special tax amount inside that product. I know it's small silly thing to overlook however good to double check.

• jameswilliams90

Hi Ari,

I wasn't really looking for a workaround, I was bringing up that the logic doesn't work properly.

That solution partially works - the challenge arises with Tax itself. In Australia products are sold as tax inclusive - which means when they are displayed they need to show the total price with tax included. This is what we calculate the shipping on.

We also sell internationally - if we wanted to offer the same table rate then the pricing would be all wrong again, because Australia does not apply tax to items exported. So what would happen is that $80 free shipping would be applied at $73.45 as tax is not levied.

I still think there is a problem with the logic in this aspect of the program.

Cheers,
    James

• Aaron
    • CTO

It was designed to calculate shipping pre tax, as that is the normal use case for free shipping tiers. The incentive is for the customer to buy more product to reach the goal, tax or not.

This is the same for the entire shipping api, and therefor all the modules. Though I think table rate is the only one that uses the total.

Additionally, tax cannot be calculated until after shipping is, because by default and in most countries the shipping cost is taxed.

• Ollie

We had similar problems when we tried to add a pickup option to the current shipping.

The end result was now we are building a custom shipping gateway... seems to be the only solution to get more advanced with your shipping method...

• aristath
    • Recruit

Thank you Aaron for the clarifications.

The end result was now we are building a custom shipping gateway... seems to be the only solution to get more advanced with your shipping method...

@Billzy no plugin can be expected to have everything covered. As Aaron mentioned earlier, we plan for the majority of cases. However on occasion people need to custom-code a solution that suits them better.
    It's not an omission, it is simply prioritizing the needs of all the people using this plugin. Having said that, I agree. If you want to get more advanced with your shipping method then building your own shipping module is the way to go! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• jameswilliams90

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Aaron for the clarification and I appreciate everything you are saying. It seems a very US centric viewpoint where taxes are charged post-purchase. Unfortunately not all users of Marketpress reside or operate in the United States.

In Australia all prices are shown GST (tax) inclusive by law. This means that any offer of table rate must include tax, and it remains that GST (tax) does not apply to international orders.

The original intention of this message was as a feature request. I've not really heard anything here to say what I've requested is not valid.

Regards,
    James

• Ollie

I am also from Australia, what we also did on top of the above mentioned is; create a line of text on the checkout page . 'All prices are inclusive of GST' then charge everyone GST, if they are international they can it claim it via their accountants in their own time.

It works and is fine by Australian law if you have that note on your checkout/terms pages.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.