Tablet/Mobile – Chat plugin: Buttons doesn't work properly

Dear support team,

1. Button “Available/offline” is reflected on members list. It’s showed for each user including myself when I visit site from PC. But when I visit site from tablet or mobile (iPhone) the button is available only for friends.

2. Second issue is that I’m transferred to not found page instead of chat pop-up form by clicking on the button from mobile/tablet or from PC but second user on mobile/tablet.

Please advise how to fix it.

thank you,

Anton

• Ash
    • WordPress Hacker

Hello @anton

Welcome to WPMU community!

I hope you are well today and thanks for asking the question.

Would you please grant support access from your Dashboard > WPMU DEV > Support > Support Access so that I can check?

Alternatively, send me login details.

To send me details, please use our contact form: https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Select: I have a different question

Subject: Attn-Ash

Details: Send all required details (admin info and/or ftp details) with a link of this thread, so that I can track.

Also post a note here once you send the info.

I will be happy to take a look :slight_smile:

Cheers

Ash

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@anton,

1. Button “Available/offline” is reflected on members list. It’s showed for each user including myself when I visit site from PC. But when I visit site from tablet or mobile (iPhone) the button is available only for friends.

Are you logged into the mobile using the same account as the PC? Generally with that Chat status if you are admin you will see the status for all members. Much like when you go to Users > All Users listing.

But if you are not an admin you will only see the status for users who you are friends with.

2. Second issue is that I’m transferred to not found page instead of chat pop-up form by clicking on the button from mobile/tablet or from PC but second user on mobile/tablet.

Like you many other thread this one also might be related to your theme. Again you can try switching to the default WP theme. The pop out does work. You can try even on my public dev site

http://site5.media-tags.com/chat/

Or go to the main page and try the pop out on the bottom corner chat.

• Anton
    • Flash Drive

1. it’s clear, thank you.

2. unfortunately it’s not theme issue in my case. I changed to default but issue still in place. When I press button from buddy press members list I’m transferred to …/goto/#” page. And if I go to chat from adminbar it works correctly. Any ideas why it happened?

Thank you in advance,

Anton

• Anton
    • Flash Drive

1. On my point of view it will be more consistent if on members page chat button with status will be available for all listed members and in menu in adminbar for friends only as currently.

2. the issue is conflict with “WP No External Links” plugin. Is there any threats in Chat plugin?

thank you!

Anton

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

1. On my point of view it will be more consistent if on members page chat button with status will be available for all listed members and in menu in adminbar for friends only as currently.

See my response to your other thread of the same topic. https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/chat-statuschat-button-reflection-in-member-profile#post-630350

2. the issue is conflict with “WP No External Links” plugin. Is there any threats in Chat plugin?

Not really. Why is that other plugin flagging this as a threat? We don’t really have time to test against any and all plugins out there. Just like testing with themes. But I will try and download the plugin and see if I can figure out why it thinks this is an external URL. Had a similar issue with another security plugin blocking our Snapshot plugin Dropbox access because it was coded poorly.

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@anton,

The ‘WP No External Links’ plugins is not really a security plugin. It does not for example prevent bad inbound POST/GET strings from being used. From what I can tell is checks the viewed page and any links no matching the page base URL can be converted to alternate URLs like adding the /goto/ reference encoding using base64, enforcing target=”_blank” etc.

I’ve installed the plugin on my local dev site and it does not effect the popup link. So my question back to you is are the main page URL and the pop out links showing different base URLs? From Chat they should match. The only change should be the query string parameters.

For example on my local site I’ve viewing a Page http://local.wordpress-chat.com/chat where I have used the chat shortcode [chat]. When I hover over the chat box pop out arrow the URL it will call it http://local.wordpress-chat.com/?wpmudev-chat-action=pop-out&wpmudev-chat-key=Y2hhdC1zZXNzaW9uLXBhZ2UtNC1wYWdl

Note the base URL ‘http://local.wordpress-chat.com’ is the same if my case.

• Anton
    • Flash Drive

I do not use short codes. by clicking on “Available” button pop-up chat screen is appear above the page and available across all pages. I do not see what url is called as no any urls is displayed on pop-up chat screen.

Anyway I tested it on 2 different sites and switch on/off affect pop-up chat screen appearance and button visibility.

Thank you,

Anton

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

@anton,

Appreciate if you can explain why it happens with pop-up chat screen.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding your question(s). From another thread I thought you were having issues with the pop-out link on the chat box. This is the little up arrow (see your thread https://premium.wpmudev.org/forums/topic/chat-pop-outin-button-is-available-in-back-end-but-its#post-630026 )

If however you are referring to the button on the BP Members/Friends listing then this is handled by an AJAX call for Chat. The AJAX call posts a message to the Chat database to initiate the new window shown to the user who clicked the button as well as the user being requested. Not sure how this effects the plugin you are using. I tree on my dev server and works without issue.

• Anton
    • Flash Drive

sorry, may be it’s my wrong understanding what is pop-out.

My questions related buttons on BP Members/Friends listing. New window is appear. Please advise what you meant about Chat database. Is it database on my server? Please correct me if I’m wrong that all messages are recorded and stored in one database on my server. And it doesn’t matter how I press chat via AJAX or via form on the page of my site by shortcode.

thank you in advance,

Anton

• Paul
    • The Green Incsub

Please advise what you meant about Chat database. Is it database on my server? Please correct me if I’m wrong that all messages are recorded and stored in one database on my server.

Correct. when Chat is installed there are three tables create to contain the chat message and active users. wp_wpmudev_chat_log, wp_wpmudev_chat_message and wp_wpmudev_chat_users

And it doesn’t matter how I press chat via AJAX or via form on the page of my site by shortcode.

Well yes but depends on what you are attempting. when you setup Chat via the shortcode, widget or the bottom corner chat these are group chats where anyone you allow can join. But on the BP user listing when you press the ‘available’ button you are initiating a private one-on-one chat with that user only. But the position, look, etc of that chat window is that same as the bottom corner.

That pop out is not to be confused with the pop-out/in functionality of all chat windows where you can expand the small chat box into a different window if needed.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.