Tags, posts, pages Wiki Plugin

Good morning. I lost track of my last post on this. I like the Wiki Plugin, but am challenged on how to convert that to a post that can feed into other areas and also accept tags and categories. The plugin description seems to indicate this is possible, maybe via shortcode? I found the redirect, however I'm not sure that's appropriate to what I'm trying to accomplish. I have the Wiki plugin on three wordpress installations, one under a multi-site. wiki.parceledgardens.com, wiki.analyticallyspeaking.com and wiki.azartisan.com. For my other wordpress sites, I am able to update posts, have them marked with categories and tags and they feed into my feedwordpress aggregator blog, but the wiki plugin does not function similarly, from what I can see.

Also, I am interested in templating wikis based on entries. Such as WikiGardens would include separate templates for insects, birds, animals, plants. The WikiArtisan site would have different templates for gemstones, jewelry types and products. WikiAnalytics would have different templates based on product information and tools. This way I would be able to create wiki entries that can be easily updated and appear uniform.

Any assistance is appreciated!

Thanks!

Jan

Mason

Hiya Jan,

Thanks for using our wiki plugin. Currently, the process is rather involved as far as templating and customizing the wiki interface.

You can create a file in your theme root called incsub_wiki.php and this will then be used by the plugin to dictate the wiki style, but there's no do_wiki() function or shortcode to just print the wiki bits (yet - we're working on it).

Wiki's also don't include any kind of taxonomy (categories and tags). They standalone. You might be able to add them via our CustomPress plugin though. The wiki product description is meant to convey that creating a wiki is as easy as creating a post or page in WordPress - not convert the wikis into regular posts or pages.

I'm not exactly sure why you'd need an RSS feed for a wiki, but there is one available for the Discussions tab. You can subscribe to this as it uses the normal WordPress comments. Otherwise, there's no feed that I know of for everytime a new wiki is added.

If you want to explain a bit more about what you're trying to accomplish, I'll be glad to assist further with some ideas.

Thanks!

jcaynes

Hi Mason,

Thanks for the reply. Would the incsub_wiki.php template creation limit me to one particular template? I'm just getting into php modifications, so I have to clarify things a lot.

My interest in having the wiki represented in posts is because I have several different blogs, which represent my different interests (parceledgardens.com - phoenix, arizona container gardening, analyticallyspeaking.com, which is a technology blog and then blog.azartisan.com, which is an artisan jewelry and fashion website). Each blog has it's own wiki to create a specific wiki in relation to the blog content (WikiGardens - wiki.parceledgardens.com; WikiAnalytics - wiki.analyticallyspeaking.com; and WikiArtisan - wiki.azartisan.com). Each of my blogs feed into it's respective facebook fan page via delvr.it and also to an aggregator blog (jancaynes.com via feedwordpress plugin). I would like to have the wiki posts also updated to the aggregator blog and the facebook fan pages without making duplicative efforts. Thus the need to be able to create an RSS feed that the wiki posts are captured in - currently not working this way.

Due to the nature of the content for each wiki, each wiki would have multiple templates related to the specific subject matter. Specifically, plant information, which includes sunlight requirements, USDA zones, etc would not apply to entries for garden insects, diseases, or for revenue wikis for affiliate adverts. In my imagination, it would be like developing an outline template and people who have knowledge can update the wiki if they wish, the affiliate company could complete it, or it can be completed at some time in the future when I have additional information. For example, I'll create a wiki page on wiki.analyticallyspeaking for WPMU, however I don't have a template to clearly outline the functions of WPMU or a way to link in my affiliate number. This would be treated much differently than a post about Project Management, Kanban methodology in project tracking.

Let me know if this helped to convey my idea properly.

Thanks!

Jan

Mason

Hiya Jan,

Thanks for providing the detailed feedback here. I think I have a better understanding of what you want.

Because each needs to be so unique, and you'll be adding content that you really want to have inside a feed, I don't think the wiki plugin is the best approach here.

Instead, I'm gonna recommend our CustomPress plugin:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/custompress

With this plugin you can create your own post type (which you can call 'wiki' if ya like) and add all sorts of taxonomies and custom fields. Really, the skies the limit!

From there, you create front page templates and style them much more easily. The CustomPress plugin gives you the code you need to add to your theme and the process of doing this is well documented:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Post_Types#Template_Files
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/easy-guide-to-displaying-custom-post-types-in-your-wordpress-theme/
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/blog/the-easiest-way-to-get-custom-post-type-archives-for-wordpress-3-0/

Additionally, custom post types created this way can have the RSS feed enabled by default. So each time you publish a new piece of information it will go to that particular feed and be populated to your other sites.

The only hangup I see with this is that normally a wiki is updated. The content really is just one post (in the WordPress world) which is then added to and updated. Using this process, though, an updated post is not pushed out via RSS. You have to create a new post for it to be added to the feed.

Hope that helps/makes a bit of sense

Thanks!

DavidM

Hi Jan,

CustomPress sounds like the optimal way to go about that one and Mason's give a very good description of that for use in your scenario.

One thing that might possibly help here too is the Quick Post Widget, which would let you and your users easily post from the front-end of your site, somewhat like how the Wiki plugin does.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/quick-post-widget/

Cheers,
    David