technical aspects of domain mapping and buddypress

If MU is built to encompass 100's of independent sites and the buddypress is made to create a social site for those 100's of sites to participate ---- please help me to understand how the bp registration works with the sites, and how domain mapping syncronizes --

when someone clicks registered on a site -- it takes them to the bp registration page --- but there is no way back --

I was hoping that the source domain would be in the user or user_meta DB -- but all that is recorded in the source domain field is the main site - so I am not sure what that table field is for.

I would think BP would record who owns the original registration for user DB segmentation and credit ---- but it doesn't seem to --

I just have a hard time believing that BP has not provided a method to return to the original site of registration -- we have tried passing the source domain in a cookie -- but the sub-domain is not the same domain as the main site -- and so the cookie can't be read --

so we are now trying to pass the domain as a variable in the calling url structure -- to bp and store it in a global variable --

but I am wondering if anyone understands how bp - the site and domain mapping coordination works, and what Global array structure it uses to accomplish this ---

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mindset

I hope you are well today and thanks for your question.

Technically out of the box, BuddyPress doesn't run on any site but the main site, to enable it to run on the sub sites, you need to define the bp_multiblog define.

http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

This will then mean you'd have 1 social network across the sites, with that enabled, domain mapping should be set to Domain mapped by the user.

Once the domain is mapped, they should still be able to access their profile etc for BuddyPress, as it'll then work in a global way if that makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mindset

sorry but it does not ---

Right now, when I click register on my sub-site -- it takes me buddypress on the main site instead of the site registration page -- so it changed the url -- I do not have the blog plugin as you specify --

Here is a summary of what I am doing ---
    I have 150 city directories(action in sites) as sub-sites and each site has its own users who login to access their listings --- I also want to give these people free blogging if they so desire it --- and introduce the social network (the action society).
    I have a menu item on each city directory -- to the action society -- and I have pages on the action society for business directories, classifieds, real estate and those pages have a link to each city (kind of like craigslist setup).

Now I wanted all of the users in one database -- for management ease -- and that is happening --- but I want to be able to display a link back to the action in site they came from --- and I would think that the site they signed up from -- would be recorded somewhere -- since it mixes all the registrations into one DB ---

so I don't want all of the BP features to be on the action in sites necessarily -- "though I guess that would be a possibility"-- I have a link on each action in site to the action society --but the action in society menu has many featured items -- and the action in sites (business - classifieds - realestate) are just 3 of them ---

You can see what I mean -- theactionsociety.com -- business listings , classified listings, real estate -- and then one of my action in sites -- actioninjacksonville.com or actioninorlando.com

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mindset

I hope you are well today and thanks for the additional information.

Sorry for the delay here.

That makes complete sense what you want to do, but what do you need? A link to the site they registered from so that each sub site has a link back to that site?

As technically on a multisite install, a user can't register on a sub site without additional plugins, all registrations are actually done on the main site.

So with this way, you could create a link back to the main site, or are you using a plugin to allow registrations back to the sub site?

Do you have any defines set in your wp-config.php for BuddyPress?

So with the BuddyPress registration, a user would register on domain.com, this will be recorded in your database under the main domain, you'd have this in the wp_blogs table and the wp_users table would contain your users, you'd also have your wp_usermeta, these are the main tables linked to that.

Then for BuddyPress you have your BuddyPress tables which all start with bp_tablename

So when you you use domain mapping, you have the tables from that, when someone adds domain mapping, that goes to the blog in the wp_blogs table, but your initial registration still comes from the main domain if that makes sense?

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

• mindset

So with this way, you could create a link back to the main site, or are you using a plugin to allow registrations back to the sub site?

Do you have any defines set in your wp-config.php for BuddyPress?

We are manually trying to enhance the code - so that we have the original domain -- so we can provide a link back -- since one of the reasons they would be subscribing is because they want to add a business listing --- and they have to subscribe before they can do that ---

Not sure what you mean by -- defines in wp-config for BP????

• Jack Kitterhing

Hi there @mindset

I hope you are well today, by the defines in the config, I meant this here http://codex.buddypress.org/getting-started/customizing/bp_enable_multiblog/

For the registration, technically they can only register on the main site if that makes sense? All registrations on a multisite link back to the main site even if they are done a domain mapped site.

I'll post in your other thread now, as there I'll explain about the join mu multisite plugin,

Thank you!

Kind Regards
    Jack.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.