Temporary exclusive content for premium members

Hello,

I would like to know if there is anyway to make a content "exclusive" during a specified time (for example 7 days).
For example, I write a new post and this post will be visible only by the premium members during 1 week. After that, the post become automatically public and visible for every one.

The solution would be to create a category in which I post my new articles, and remove this category after 1 week, but I prefer to have something automatic (I will probably have many posts per day).

Second question (more simple :grinning:, if a content is only visible for premium members, did the robots from Google, Yahoo, etc. still have access to the articles to index them ?

Thank you for your answers !
Régis

• Vaughan

hiya

thanks for posting.

unfortunately this isn't possible with membership, it's not something i've come across either.

you can drip feed content with membership but i think that's determined by how long they have been a member, with more content being displayed the longer they're a member. but not by actual post date.

you can also schedule a post to be published at a specific time. when you create the post.

see http://en.support.wordpress.com/posts/schedule-a-post/

i guess then with a plugin such as role scoper you could assign your premium members a specific role and then customize your templates with a custom query so that those members can view posts where the post_status = 'future' but you would need a developer to code that for you.

as for google bots etc they will only see content that is published and visible to guests/visitors, so they wouldn't see content restricted to premium members.

hope this helps

• Zetura

Thank you for your answer.
    The idea with role scoper is good, but then I wouldn't be able to really schedule posts (for premium members) :slight_smile: For the development, I'm a developer too, so I can implement that in my theme.

If we are a Gold Member, can we modify the code of the WPMU plugins ? It will probably be more easy for me to customize the function to display the posts :slight_smile:.

If not, I will look for the solution with role scoper. Thank you !

• Vaughan

hiya

if you use the advanced rules in your access levels it will give you some advanced options such as you can assign a particular role to each access level. so when a member subscribes to the premium level, they will be assigned a user role of your choice.

with role scoper you could assign them all the permissions that their current role has.

so in essence, you create a role such as 'premium-contributor' then give that role the exact same capabilities etc as their current 'contributor' role. just a clone but a different name. so then your premium members then become premium-contributors instead of contributors.

and your edits to allow viewing of future post_status can be assigned to that user role or higher.

hope that i made that understandable, sometimes i ramble on.

you can modify the plugins as much as you like, but remember when you update, those changes will be lost.

thanks.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.