Temporary solution to hide PopUp on mobile devices

Hi Guys,
I would like to share this to the community who looking for solution to hide popover on mobile devices.

The reason why I will need to hide it on mobile devices is because the popout can't be close on mobile devices! (your popout most probably will expand beyond your touchscreen)

Everyone is holding smartphones now days and hopefully this plugin should be equipped with a more mobile friendly features.

• aristath
    • Recruit

It would be nice to have an option in each individual pop over to hide/show on mobile then. :slight_smile:

I'm afraid this is not possible, as it depends on the content you put in the popup, the CSS of your theme, your plugin settings etc.
    This has to be custom-coded for each case individually.

Cheers,
    Ari.

• mainstreethost
    • Mainstreethost

it seems like other plugins dont have a problem supporting responsive themes. unless this plugin wants to rest with dinosaur bones, i suggest it gets ported for fluid layouts that respond to any resolution. im not trying to sound like a know it all, but i see more and more developers adapting to the needs of the mobile audience, which is just about to eclipse desktop usage, if it hasnt already.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@mainstreethost it's just a different point of view:
    Other plugins DO support this, but make way too many assumptions about your theme's breakpoints, the way your CSS is etc. Unfortunately all themes differ and there's no one-size-fits-all theme.
    IF another plugins has issues and doesn't work as you'd want it with your particular theme, you'll have to write lots of dozends of lines of CSS to first bypass the plugin's CSS and then apply your own.

This plugin on the other hand makes no assumptions about your theme and you can do it just the way you want it with no more than 5 lines of code.

One is not better than the other, it's just how you choose to look at it.
    Most of our clients are developers and shops that build sites for others so their majority knows how to do some basic CSS coding and that's all it takes to get it right!

I hope that clarifies it. :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Ari.

• mainstreethost
    • Mainstreethost

i mean, not really. this doesnt clarify anything, what im reading is "our plugin is not responsive in an almost entirely responsive marketplace and we have no desire to adapt to industry standards because our plugin does not make assumptions about your theme."

lets be honest here - its possible to write a popup plugin that works on all devices - handhelds, tablets, netbooks, desktop.

perhaps the authors of this plugin SHOULD make assumptions and write with the most popular breakpoints in mind. i mean, an iphone is only so big, the ipad is only so big, and youre lookin at 990-1140px for most desktop sites. generalizations dont have to be a bad thing.

also to clarify, we are a large hosting company that wanted to give the wpmudev plugins a shot on our wordpress builds. honestly, most of these plugins are not up to current best coding practices, and we end up spending more time and resources trying to hack the plugins to work properly. its a shame, but a reality.

• aristath
    • Recruit

@mainstreethost
    How exactly do you imagine this working?
    Would there be options in the admin-side that you would be able to set?
    Or just a pre-defined behavior?

What if the content the user enters in the popup is not responsive?

We don't say no to reasonable requests, it just has to be well-thought!

Have you seen other similar plugins that are responsive? If so, could you please post some links so that we may analyse exactly the way they work?

Please advise,
    Ari.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.