Testing changing the main domain on a Pro Site multisite install questions.

Hey,

I little later I was wanting to test (and possible do a permanent) change in the main multisite domain name that has Pro Sites.

1. If I change the name will all subsites auto adjust and have no breakage or issues?

2. Where is the best link for best practices to do the change (checklist of sorts etc) that will enable a smooth change? There will only be a handful of subsites by the time I decide to play with doing it by the way . . .

3. If I decide to abandon changing because of one reason or another or there becomes issues, if I change it back with it easily restore functionality?

4. Any other ideas or thoughts on this topic would be good?

5. Do you see this being done a good bit among Pro Site users for one reason or another?

6. Do you consider this pretty routine? From what I have read so far, it should be fairly easy on the difficulty scale.

:slight_smile:

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Greg!

1. If I change the name will all subsites auto adjust and have no breakage or issues?

You'll need to do some changes on your network admin dashboard, as well as a search & replace in the database to replace the old domain name with the new domain name.

2. Where is the best link for best practices to do the change (checklist of sorts etc) that will enable a smooth change? There will only be a handful of subsites by the time I decide to play with doing it by the way . . .

I would not advise planning to switch the domain name back and forth. Switch when you're ready to stick with the new name, to avoid any potential problems. Each time you switched you'd need to run a search and replace to change all the domain names before you'd have access to your site.

Here's a guide: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL

3. If I decide to abandon changing because of one reason or another or there becomes issues, if I change it back with it easily restore functionality?

As long as you have an untouched backup of your database before you started searching and replacing, yes.

4. Any other ideas or thoughts on this topic would be good?

I've been WordPressing for a while, and this is not a task I would take lightly. Be cautious, be smart, have backups. : )

5. Do you see this being done a good bit among Pro Site users for one reason or another?

Perhaps? But again, switching domain names can completely lock you out of your site if you do it wrong. It's got a certain amount of risk involved, even in the best case scenario.

6. Do you consider this pretty routine? From what I have read so far, it should be fairly easy on the difficulty scale.

I'd give it a 4 for difficulty and an 8 for risk.

Thanks, Greg! Hope you're about to have a great week.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.