Testing e-Newsletters....Things Not Working

Hi

I am almost finished getting people able to sign up for these newsletter mailiing lists (it's been a trial to get that far).

I am now trying to test the e-newsletter process.

The problems so far:

1. The image that you put in as the background :

....ends up as TILES (...so what are the dimensions for having it as ONE image - it doesn't say anywhere)

...doesn't appear in the email OR in the view in browser version.

2. View in Browser..is NOT working from within the newsletter development site. It will NOT click above the draft newsletter NOR will it GO anywhere?

...it is also NOT working from within the test email.

3. Instead of the image showing...you end up with just a background colour in the EMAIL and the TEST VIEW PAGE/

4.I have the body text as WHITE. I tried a colour and didn't like it so went back to white (from the content box) - BUT THEN YOU CAN"T READ IT as it disappears in the CONTENT box!!!! How do you get it to show IN THE CONTENT BOX?

Thanks.
Karen

• Karen

Also in the body of the newsletter all the text is paragraph (apart from titles) BUT it is all over the shop.

How can the formatting be improved?

It would be great if I could use the CSS that matches my website.

Is that possible?

Thanks,
    Karen

Also the images don't (a) travel with the email (b) nor are they showing when you view the newsletter in the browser - so what is the POINT of adding an image?

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

You can edit the CSS of the newsletters directly via /wp-content/plugins/e-newsletter/e-newsletter-files/templates/ then choose the template you want to edit the css for :slight_smile:

Also the images don't (a) travel with the email (b) nor are they showing when you view the newsletter in the browser - so what is the POINT of adding an image?

Did you make sure you clicked the save button first? top right of the sidebar menu. Once you save, then send preview - it should have the background in there.

Hope this helps Karen.

All the best,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Ps remember asking me to number things? See what happens when I do? Out of the four questions asked at the start in the original post, only one (#3) was answered. That is why I stopped bothering to number them. It helps me too if they get answered (and if the numbers are used). FYI.
    Yes I saved it before sending...and several times as I went along when developing it.

The image is there if I open the latest newsletter again, BUT it is TiLED as I noted above, not one image (what is controlling that?) the image just does NOT travel with the email NOR does it end up on the view online page (which refuses to open anyway from within the newsletter drafting area). Any suggestions? Feel free to go in and send yourself a test newsletter and you will see what I mean.
    Ps any chance of getting answers to my other post re the logging in to get on the email list?

I have tested as much as I can but there are outstanding questions. I know it's a lot of questions but if the product didn't keep giving odd responses I wouldn't have the questions and I am trying to let you know exactly where the problems lie?

Once that is sorted I can move onto fixing the issue of the way the newsletter looks and creating a template that matches the CSS of my site.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

Karen

• Karen

Tyler

I have created the new template file - by copying another one (Handwritten) but I am at a loss about how to amend the CSS.

Is there a way to get my BP Fun theme CSS into this template.

Sorry but I am not sure how to do CSS or which bits to amend.

I am happy to be steered in the right direction as I am guessing I have to know some CSS (which I don't).

Is there somewhere to learn more about (a) finding out what CSS your site uses and (b) how to get this into the newsletter in code?

I am guessing that I can't WYSIWYG it?

I can only do it via knowing CSS coding?

It would be good for the manual/Usage to make that clear to non-IT people.

Thanks for any info you might have to help me work out what to do.

regards,
    Karen

• Tyler Postle

Hey Karen,

I have created the new template file - by copying another one (Handwritten) but I am at a loss about how to amend the CSS.

Did you re-name the new file to something different? I'm guessing you have already seen the "Custom Themes" area of the usage guide? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-newsletter/#usage it's near the bottom.

This explains a bit more on how to do this, once you have made a copy of the existing theme and re-named it then you can start editing the style.css file in it. This is where all the different styles for that specific template will be.

A tool like firebug comes in real handy when customizing CSS: http://www.studiopress.com/tips/using-firebug.htm

You can use it when looking at the existing handwritten template and hover over different elements so you know what classes/ID's are attached to them :slight_smile: then you can edit/add them to the stylesheet.

In that firebug tips tutorial it will also show you how to change them while on the site, so you can sort of 'preview' the changes.

Hope this helps!

As for the "Cheating eh?" message that can come up if you have made changes to core files - did you change anything other than making a copy of the e-newsletter theme?

Look forward to your reply :slight_smile:

Cheers,
    Tyler

• Karen

Tyler

Yes - done this:

Did you re-name the new file to something different? I'm guessing you have already seen the "Custom Themes" area of the usage guide? https://premium.wpmudev.org/project/e-newsletter/#usage it's near the bottom.

It is called PAJ Newsletter and in the custom themes folder.

As for the "Cheating eh?" message that can come up if you have made changes to core files - did you change anything other than making a copy of the e-newsletter theme?

Nope. Nothing!

It is this

"then you can start editing the style.css file in it."
    ...that is what I have no idea how to do so will try your suggestion. Thanks. Appreciated.

Thank you!

• Michelle Shull

Hey there, Karen!

To examine an element if FireBug, just right click it and choose "inspect element." That should bring up the FireBug console, which will tell you all sorts of information about the element you clicked, including how it's named in your CSS files. For example, if I click the toolbar here in my post box, this is what I get:

.comment.staff #post-toolbar {
    padding: 50px 80px 0 10px;
    }

So, if was an admin for WPMU, I could copy that text into a custom CSS file, and change the different attributes, or properties, assigned to the element of the staff post toolbar.

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.