Testing major WordPress and WPMU plugin updates

Hello. When preparing for a major upgrade of WordPress or a major upgrade to an essential plugin to a website, like WPMU Membership, what is the best strategy for testing?

I am using a Liquid Web Storm Server. My hosting plan allows us to create a clone of the existing server (WordPress, files, and database) to conduct testing on. The clone would be installed on a sub domain of my primary domain. For example, if my website was http://www.mydomain.com, the clone of the site would go on the sub domain http://www.test.mydomain.com. Both of these sites would be live in production.

If I clone the server and essentially create another copy of the website, how does the Membership plugin fit in? Does that mean members in the user database will now begin to get charged twice? Or does PayPal base the payments on the domain I set it up with (thus PayPal would not know the existence f any sub domains and not charge the same user a second time.)

Should I immediately go into the cloned site and change the PayPal Payment Gateway to Sandbox? Or would that not make a difference?

I just want to make sure that I do adequate testing of a clone of my production site when getting ready to upgrade WordPress or upgrade the Membership plugin. But before I clone my site, I want to make sure my members won't then get charged two times because they exist in two production database (one on mydomain.com, and one on test.mydomain.com.)

Thank you.

• Vinod Dalvi

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your detailed question.

Hello. When preparing for a major upgrade of WordPress or a major upgrade to an essential plugin to a website, like WPMU Membership, what is the best strategy for testing?

Just create a replica of your live site and update the plugin to the latest version on newly created test / development site.
    Fully test the plugin on test site.
    Use sandbox instead of live accounts to test payments.
    After testing if you don't find any issue in it then then update the plugin on live but don't forget to take a whole backup of your live site before updating the plugin.

If I clone the server and essentially create another copy of the website, how does the Membership plugin fit in?

Membership plugin will work on the copied website without any issue if all the URLs are changed from primary domain to sub domain.

Does that mean members in the user database will now begin to get charged twice? Or does PayPal base the payments on the domain I set it up with (thus PayPal would not know the existence f any sub domains and not charge the same user a second time.)

They will not get charged twice until they re subscribe on the copied / cloned website.

Should I immediately go into the cloned site and change the PayPal Payment Gateway to Sandbox? Or would that not make a difference?

Yes you should change the PayPal Payment Gateway to Sandbox or else you / user will be charged if subscribed.

Cheers,
    Vinod Dalvi

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.