Testing Pro Sites Using PayPal Sandbox

I just read this related topic but the solution provided did not help, and it is marked as resolved so I'll post my concerns here. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

How does one successfully test subscriptions using PayPal Sandbox accounts?

I do have Test Mode (Sandbox) enabled via Pro Sites settings.

I have also configured our IPN Forwarder to declare 'live' => false

And I have confirmed proper declarations for the forwarder in our wp-config.

The problem is this: When I create a new site using another test account, clicking the Checkout button on the Pro Sites page simply reloads the same page. It does not redirect to PayPal to complete the test transaction.

I have temporarily enabled registrations on our dev install if anyone cares to give it a try:
http://tripawds.net/ (We're running Anti-Splog so click "Join" in the nav menu. )

My first question is: Can I leave the actual API Credentials on the settings page like I have done, or do I need to create a PayPal Pro Sandbox test account and enter those? If using the real credentials is OK, what else might be causing the issue I describe?

Second Question: Assuming I can resolve my first issue and create a subscription, how do I test the Pro Site Level renewal upon subscription payment without waiting a month?

We have far too many Supporters on our live site to risk renewals not working if we upgrade to Pro Sites, as I have read elsewhere in the forums and in the docs. Thanks again.

• DavidM

Hi jcnjr,

Can I leave the actual API Credentials on the settings page like I have done, or do I need to create a PayPal Pro Sandbox test account and enter those?

You would need a sandbox account to test that actually, which you can do from the following:
    https://developer.paypal.com/

I don't really know how you could test the account renewal though, since the subscription itself is in PayPal. I'll ask Aaron to have a look here regarding that.

-David

• Aaron

Second Question: Assuming I can resolve my first issue and create a subscription, how do I test the Pro Site Level renewal upon subscription payment without waiting a month?

There really isn't a way to test it, but you don't really need to as it's on PayPal's side. You can see in your sandbox account if a subscription was created.

The only thing you really need to test is that pro sites is recieving IPNs correctly. Which is easy enough. You will see IPNs in the transaction log of the site you are testing. You should receive at least 2 ipns on a subscription created. One for the initial payment and one for 'recurring_payment_profile_created'.

Can I leave the actual API Credentials on the settings page like I have done, or do I need to create a PayPal Pro Sandbox test account and enter those?

If you are using Pro then also make sure you create a Pro sandbox account.

• Timothy Bowers

The problem is this: When I create a new site using another test account, clicking the Checkout button on the Pro Sites page simply reloads the same page. It does not redirect to PayPal to complete the test transaction.

Great, thanks for the feedback. So how can I go about resolving the primary issue of the checkout button reloading the page instead redirecting to PayPal?

I had this issue and then realised I had not used the correct sandbox details.

It might be worth checking you sandbox API details. I realise you maybe aware, but just in case... You need to get Sandbox credentials from:

https://developer.paypal.com

Using your normal Paypal API won't work in Sandbox mode.

Hope this helps.

• jcnjr

Thanks for the clarification Tim!

Making progress, but still a bit leery about upgrading to Pro Sites considering the following...

Using my Sandbox API credentials and test account, I was able to complete a Pro Site upgrade transaction. But no details appeared in the Forwarder logs, nor did any error.

An IPN I then sent from my Sandbox Instant Payment Notification (IPN) simulator, however, did result in that simulated transaction getting logged by the forwarder.

This tells me IPNs are not getting sent for Pro Site transactions. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

With wp_debug on, clicking the checkout button fails to even redirect to PayPal, with the following notices:

Notice: load_plugin_textdomain was called with an argument that is deprecated since version 2.7 with no alternative available. in /home/triblogs/public_html/wp-includes/functions.php on line 3468

Notice: Undefined index: key in /home/triblogs/public_html/wp-content/plugins/post-indexer/post-indexer.php on line 41

• jcnjr

Still trying to figure out why IPNs aren't being received for Pro Sites transactions when sending IPNs from the PayPal Sandbox simulator are getting logged by my forwarder. Hoping this Account History for a test Pro Site upgrade may shed some light... Invalid token? Anyone?

2011-12-06 3:54:30 am User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: PayPal returned an error: The token is invalid
    2011-12-06 3:54:29 am User modifying subscription via PayPal Express: PayPal returned an error: The token is invalid
    2011-12-06 3:54:28 am Signup success email sent to admin@mysite.tld*
    2011-12-06 3:54:27 am Pro Site status expiration extended until January 6, 2012.
    2011-12-06 3:54:26 am User creating new subscription via PayPal Express: Subscription created (Tripawds Testing Ground Supporter: $5.00 USD each month) - Profile ID: I-4VR11GG7679R
    2011-12-06 3:54:23 am User creating new subscription via PayPal Express: Initial payment successful (Tripawds Testing Ground Supporter: $5.00 USD each month) - Transaction ID: 0K099617VT142782B

*NOTE: Signup success email was not sent. Can I presume no email is sent in Sandbox mode?

• jcnjr

Thanks for getting back to me. I'm saying the IPN does not seem to work in Sandbox mode, though a test sent from the PayPal Sandbox account does. By "not work" I mean the notifications are not getting logged by the forwarder. If there's any other way to confirm everything's working, please advise.

Guess I'll go live with it and see if IPNs works that way. Just means testing it with actual transactions. Will report back and re-open topic if issues persist.