Text Entry Box – Covers Text Below It

Hello –

I’ve installed the Forums plugin. Take a look at my forum page:

http://www.lds-amcap.org/forum/

You’ll see a text entry box covering up text underneath it.

Could I get help moving this box and getting it to behave?

Thanks!

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey there,

That is the search box and the dis-orientation comes from the theme you are using.

Here are two ways to solve this. Edit your style sheet minimized.css and change

position: absolute;

for the id #search (Around line 60) to

position: inherit;

Now this will mess up the other search form you have. That can be fixed by adding:

<div id="search" style="position: absolute;">

in your theme’s header.php

Another option is to change the id search in forums.php in wp-contentpluginsforums , say into something like forumsearch (around line 878)

i.e..

Change this line

$content = $content . '<input type="text" name="search" id="search" style="width: 25%;" value="' . $tmp_query . '"/>';

into

$content = $content . '<input type="text" name="forumsearch" id="search" style="width: 25%;" value="' . $tmp_query . '"/>';

and then in your style sheet define:

#forumsearch {
    position: inherit;
    right: 18px;
    top: 152px
    }

I would prefer the first one, as editing the core plugin file would mean, losing edits on a plugin update.

Good luck!

• dirkcline
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Hello Arun –

Thanks for your directions.

Following your first recommendation – I was able to move the search box by editing the css – which DID mess up my other search box.

I wasn’t successful with your next direction – adding your line of code into my header.php. – in that my other search box moved to the upper left hand corner of the page.

Any other suggestions?

Dirk

• dirkcline

Hello —

I'm trying to move the "Forum" search box that is covering the text (as shown in the screen cap) without altering the position or functionality of my site search box in the striped blue bar above.

Arun – your suggestions allowed me to move the Forum search box but not maintain my site search box and functionality.

Still need help.

Thanks!

• Arun Basil Lal
    • New Recruit

Hey Dirk,

Here is something else you could do. Open up forums.php in wp-contentpluginsforums folder and around line 878, you will see:

$content = $content . '<input type="text" name="search" id="search" style="width: 25%;" value="' . $tmp_query . '"/>';

Change that to:

$content = $content . '<input type="text" name="search" id="search" style="width: 25%; position: inherit;" value="' . $tmp_query . '"/>';

And that should take care of it :slight_smile:

• dirkcline

Hello Arun —

Had to search for the line of code. It was on line 1775. I made the switch and it moved the box (see the attached).

Thank you for taking your time to resolve this issue for me. i would never have thought to look in the places you did.

It just took "the touch of the master's hand."

Thank you!

Dirk

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.