"That username is currently reserved but may be available in a couple of days."

User registration is not working. The first time I tried to register, it seemed to work, but I did not receive any confirmation email with my password, etc.

Now when I try to register, it says:

“That username is currently reserved but may be available in a couple of days.”

“That email address has already been used. Please check your inbox for an activation email. It will become available in a couple of days if you do nothing.”

I want to delete the unconfirmed account so that I can try again. But in the WordPress admin panel, it doesn’t show this user at all.

• draytond
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

I did some snooping around for you and found this on some other forums:

No, there’s no easy way to turn that off. It’s fixed at 2 days.

Basically that means that somebody signed up but didn’t activate their user account. After two days of inactivation, the names become available again.

The only way around this is to edit the core code.

Hope this less-than-ideal answer at least lets you move onto other things so you don’t have to keep trying to figure this out… at least for another two days.

• Elliot
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

Maybe I should create a new thread for this, but the root of the problem is that user registration emails are not getting sent. I have checked my spam box and they are not in there either. I am using DreamHost shared web hosting. What might be the problem?

• draytond
    • Site Builder, Child of Zeus

According to some threads I found on other forums, people have had email problems with old versions, but not newer versions of wordpress, except when on a server that wasn’t configured to send emails.

Definitely setup a simple file to test php’s mail() function to be sure that it is definitely working…

Until you do that, there is no point troubleshooting further.

Make a file that has something like this in it:

<?php
    $email = 'you@youremail.com';
    $fromemail = 'me@myemail.com';
    $subject = $_POST['subject'];
    $msg = 'This is a test';
    $headers = "From: ".$fromemail;
    if( !mail($email, $subject, $msg, $headers) ){
    echo "Problem sending email.";
    }else{
    echo "Email successfully sent";
    }
    ?>

Change the email addresses to something real. And then visit that page, make sure it give you a success message, and then make sure you get the email.

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings Elliot,

Just checking if this issue was eventually resolved in another thread? Or by yourself separately to us? Or by us over email with you? Or using our live support?

If so, no need to reply, that’s great news.

If not, or you have any more questions related to this thread, please feel free to post them below including any new symptoms or errors and tick the ‘Mark as Not Resolved (re-open)’ box below the post area (or else we’ll miss it!)

Otherwise, happy days, glad you got it sorted :slight_smile:

Thank you for being a WPMU DEV Community Member!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.