"The blog you have requested is not installed properly."

Followed the instructions to the letter (I think), using 256 DBs, got the above error. (Everything goes back to normal when I delete the db.php and db-config.php files...)

Noticed as well that even though db-config.php calls for a vip database, that DB sits empty on the server.

So that I don't waste valuable screen real estate, let me know what I should post here.

Thanks in advance!

• crsneil

I think the problem may be in the definition of my global tables, and it may come from the fact that I'm not 100% certain what's supposed to go there. I understand that it's for tables from plugins, but as an example, because my main blog (Blog ID 1) is in the c4 database, here's what it looks like:

Database: crsneil_c4
    Table: WPDH2nsQ_1_bad_behavior

What do I enter when I define my global tables?

Or have I screwed it up completely?

Thanks
    --Neil

• Andrew

Hiya,

Followed the instructions to the letter (I think), using 256 DBs, got the above error.

There isn't an error above

There also isn't a link to your site or an actual description of your problem.

So that I don't waste valuable screen real estate, let me know what I should post here.

I'm not actually sure what your issue is due to the lack of information. However, 90% of the time it's a problem caused by an improperly configured db-config.php. So let's have a look at that with the passwords masked (***) and only a selection of the 256 connection lines.

You have to define global plugin tables in db-config.php

Thanks,
    Andrew

• crsneil

Sorry, Andrew - the error I got ended up as the thread title, namely that "The blog you have requested is not installed properly."

Here are some portions of my db-config.php

//------------------------------------------------------------------------//
    //---DB Scaling-----------------------------------------------------------//
    // 16,256,4096
    define ('DB_SCALING', '256');
    //---DC IPs---------------------------------------------------------------//
    // Usage: add_dc_ip(IP, DC)
    // EX: add_dc_ip('123.123.123.', 'dc1');
    add_dc_ip('74.54.218.98', 'dc1');
    //---Global Tables--------------------------------------------------------//
    // Do not include default global tables
    // Leave off base prefix (eg: wp_)
    //
    // Usage: add_global_table(TABLE_NAME)
    // EX: add_global_table('something');
    add_global_table('crsneil_global');
    //---DB Servers-----------------------------------------------------------//
    // Database servers grouped by dataset.
    // R can be 0 (no reads) or a positive integer indicating the order
    // in which to attempt communication (all locals, then all remotes)
    //
    // Usage: add_db_server(DS, DC, READ, WRITE, HOST, LAN_HOST, NAME, USER, PASS)
    // EX: add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'global.mysql.example.com:3509','global.mysql.example.lan:3509', 'global-db', 'globaluser', 'globalpassword');
    //
    // Note: you can also place this section in a file called db-list.php in wp-content
    // EX: add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1,'global.mysql.example.com:3509','global.mysql.example.lan:3509', 'global-db', 'globaluser', 'globalpassword');
    add_db_server('global', 'dc1', 1, 1, 'localhost', 'localhost', 'crsneil_global', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');

add_db_server('00', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_00', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('01', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_01', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('02', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_02', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('03', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_03', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('04', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_04', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('05', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_05', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('06', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_06', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('07', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_07', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('08', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_08', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('09', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_09', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('0a', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_0a', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('0b', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_0b', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    add_db_server('0c', 'dc1', 1, 1,'localhost','localhost', 'crsneil_0c', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');

etc etc etc

add_db_server('vip1', 'dc1', 1, 1, 'localhost', 'localhost', 'crsneil_vip1', 'crsneil_web2u3', '********');
    //---VIP Blogs------------------------------------------------------------//
    // Usage: add_vip_blog(BLOG_ID, DS)
    // EX: add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');
    add_vip_blog(1, 'vip1');

The VIP table is empty, and the site home page shows up with nothing but "The blog you have requested is not installed properly", and instructions to contact the admin. I have since removed the db.php and db-config.php files from the wp-content folders, so for now the site runs off the old DB and still works.

Site is http://www.nationalvirtualmemorial.org

Thanks for your help!

• crsneil

Thanks for the speedy response!
    I did what you suggested, and now the error reads as follows:

No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

Does this have anything to do with my vip1 database being empty? If I set blogid 1 to be a vip database, shouldn't everything related to the main blog be in there, instead of in c4?

Thanks!

• crsneil

What tables are in crsneil_global?

There are 149 in all...I omitted a bunch to make the list more relevant.

bb_forums
    bb_posts
    bb_tagged
    bb_tags
    bb_topicmeta
    bb_topics
    blogcreate
    hits
    jos_content
    jos_content2
    livehelp_autoinvite
    livehelp_channels
    livehelp_config

(27 more "livehelp" tables)

phpmv_archives
    phpmv_a_category
    phpmv_a_config

(34 more phpmv tables)

piwik_access
    piwik_archive_blob_2008_05
    piwik_archive_blob_2008_10

(14 more piwik tables)

WPDH2nsQ_blogs
    WPDH2nsQ_blog_versions
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_archive_countries
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_archive_pages
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_archive_ranges
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_archive_referrers
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_archive_sites
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_archive_useragents
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_excluded_ips
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_excluded_urls
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_hits
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_options
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_pending_data
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_sites
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_urls
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_url_metadata
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_useragents
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_useragent_classes
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_users
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_user_sites
    WPDH2nsQ_firestats_version
    WPDH2nsQ_montycomment_data
    WPDH2nsQ_montycomment_messages
    WPDH2nsQ_montycomment_seed
    WPDH2nsQ_montycomment_tokens
    WPDH2nsQ_montysignup_data
    WPDH2nsQ_montysignup_messages
    WPDH2nsQ_montysignup_seed
    WPDH2nsQ_montysignup_signup
    WPDH2nsQ_montysignup_tokens
    WPDH2nsQ_montysplog_data
    WPDH2nsQ_montysplog_messages
    WPDH2nsQ_montysplog_seed
    WPDH2nsQ_montysplog_tokens
    WPDH2nsQ_montytrackback_data
    WPDH2nsQ_montytrackback_messages
    WPDH2nsQ_montytrackback_seed
    WPDH2nsQ_montytrackback_tokens
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_blogs
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_content
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_data
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_email
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_hold
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_ip2country
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_ips
    WPDH2nsQ_monty_users
    WPDH2nsQ_registration_log
    WPDH2nsQ_signups
    WPDH2nsQ_site
    WPDH2nsQ_sitecategories
    WPDH2nsQ_sitemeta
    WPDH2nsQ_usermeta
    WPDH2nsQ_users
    WPDH2nsQ_user_meta

WPDH2nsQ_ is the old prefix for my WPMU install.

Hope this helps.

• crsneil

Forgive me, I want to make sure I'm clear.

What you're suggesting is to go through all the tables in the NEW databases (the 256+ I created), and change all instances of "WPDH2nsQ_" to "wp_", starting with the global tables?

Because the correct global tables exist, just not with the prefix that you (and apparently WPMU) were expecting.

(The site is working now because I deleted the db.php and db-config.php files from the site when I realized it wasn't working...so now that it's using the old DB, it functions. My post above was a reply to your suggestion that I start with the global tables, which got edited out of your post above.)

• crsneil

Checked the mySQL permissions...my web2u3 user has full permissions on every database on the server.

After I checked, I re-uploaded the db.php and db-config.php files, and tried to load the home page.

I received the following error:

No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

Then I went into wp-config.php and changed the DB info to use my global DB as its DB.

Same error.

Removed the db.php and db-config.php files, changed wp-config.php to its earlier state, and everything's fine again.

• Andrew

I'm afraid I'm pretty much out of suggestions then. The "No WPMU site defined on this host" is caused by WPMU not being able to pull date from the PREFIX_site table if that helps.

I'm pretty confident this isn't an issue with Multi-DB because the latest version has been downloaded over fifty times and no one else has reported an issue like this.

What I would do is setup a test install somewhere and play with Multi-DB with only 16 databases.

Thanks,
    Andrew

• andrea_r

Just to roll back to the beginning - the error in the title shows up because it literally cannot find the blog in the right database.

Also, because the tables prefixes are different, it's hard to follow. And I really don't know what specific issues it causes, I only know that it does. How did you move the blog tables? There's a move blog script available. Did you use that and check to make sure blog tables wound up in the right places?

Also, you've got a metric butt-ton of extra crap in the global tables.

Just for clarity's sake Andrew was suggesting playing around with 16 db and a fresh install.

And - you took backups, right? As long as you have backups, no need to panic.

Or you could just pay someone else to do it for you.

• crsneil

@andrea_r
    You're right about everything, of course. Especially the metric butt-ton of crap in global. I moved the tables using the move-blogs script; outside of the extra stuff living in the global DB, the prefix is really the only thing that's not basic WPMU, as far as I can figure.

Unfortunately, because I was a bit of a dolt and ran straight for HostGator, I'm extremely limited in what I can do with my DB's. I have to create and grant permissions, for example, through their cPanel interface. I liked the fact that they don't limit the # of databases I can use, but there's a price on the back end in flexibility.

But you're right - with backups, I'm ok. Backups, in fact, are the reason I was looking at Multi-DB in the first place. My current DB is too big to back up. Memory errors kill the process partway through.

I'll set up a LAMP machine and do a test install. I've got close to a hundred grieving war mothers who are beginning to lose their patience with me.

Thanks,
    Neil

• andrea_r

Tips:

- if you can get in the db thru phpmyadmin or something, clean up some of the cruft. There shoudl be a space there saying how much overhead in is the tables, and you can "check tables with overhead" and then check Optimize. This will shrink it a bit.

You can also do a db backup in pieces. Instead of selecting all the tables, just select some and backup those, then the next chunk, then the next etc.. until you have the whole db. phpmyadmin craps out at aroudn 16 megs of data.

Or, if you can get in via ssh, do a mysql dump. That's a backup and that's how they got the stuff transferred between hosts.

If you upgraded on hostgater, would that help out with manipulating the dbs?

• crsneil

Not as long as I'm on shared hosting. Not even the tech support people can do anything outside of cPanel (they say) - the admins have to do it for you, and it takes an average of 18 hours for a response from the admins on stuff (at least it has on this issue the last several days).

I know what a fan of VPS or dedicated servers you are; I'm trying to find a solution that won't break the bank - because it's a site devoted to memorializing dead soldiers, I have to be EXTREMELY careful how I handle stuff; I don't accept advertising, and don't charge for access. It's a labor of love for me that I fund out of my pocket.

My tests might include running WPMU on my HostGator box, with an external DB server that I have better control over.