"The default setting for the membership plugin is to disable user accounts that do not complete

Hi-
Clarification on what this field means in Membership>Edit Options>User Registration
"The default setting for the membership plugin is to disable user accounts that do not complete their subscription signup.
If you want to change this, then use the option below.
Enable incomplete signup accounts"

Enable incomplete sign ups means that they can start posting content/ using the membership services even though they didn't pay? Or am i reading this the wrong way?

Thx

• Philip John
    • DEV MAN’s Apprentice

Hiya!

There are three steps to the signup process when using Membership;
    1. User creation (the user is given an account in WordPress)
    2. Membership subscription (the user choices one of the subscriptions you've made available)
    3. Payment (the payment is made and the user has the appropriate subscription levels attached to their acocunt).

If they complete step one but don't get any further they will still have an account. You'll be able to see them in the Users area of your dashboard.

What this setting does is allow that to happen. If you don't allow incomplete user accounts users will have to complete all three steps.

Phil

• johndavidcreative
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Is there anyway to prevent the incomplete accounts from being stored in the system. As the incomplete users are not allowed to sign in to complete the process. When I try I get an error message saying "Sorry this account is not active."

I'd like to prevent incomplete sign up and if possible get rid of the user without having to do so manually.

• sharonmiranda
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

johndavidcreative, are you saying that ALL accounts created prior to adjusting the Enable incomplete user setting must be deleted before the change will take effect? Or merely the incomplete accounts?

Phil, you say "If you don't allow incomplete user accounts users will have to complete all three steps.", so default 'disable user accounts that do not complete' should mean no user account is set up at all unless subscription is complete.

My system, WP3.3.1, BP 1.5x, Membership 2.1.4, is set to default, but user/member accounts are created anyway upon incomplete subscription. If there is a free subscription, it sets them up on that. If there is no free subscription it sets them up with a blank subscription and member level.

My understanding is that, with the default 'disable user accounts that do not complete' no user account should be created at all unless the subscription is complete.Isn't this true?

And is there a fix for this situation?

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.