The Google+ Plugin "Post/Repost Loopback" Issue

Howdy,

I noticed something strange with regard to The Google+ Plugin.

Here's what happens, in order:

1. I install The Google+ Plugin at my WordPress site:

-- http://kxaphotography.com/

from WPMU and register it with my Google+ (Business) Page (**not User Profile**):

-- https://plus.google.com/102881095392836381693/

2. I publish a post in WordPress.

3. I go back to the post and "Like" it with the Google+ button.

4. At the "Google+ Like/Share" dialog, I share the post as "Public" to my Google+ (Business) Page (the **exact same** one as listed above, in Step 1.)

5. The post now appears as a Public entry on my Google+ (Business) Page "Posts" tab.

Now, here's where it gets weird...

6. At some later point, The Google+ Plugin **pulls the post back into WordPress multiple times** and **re-posts** the entry back to my Blog page(s).

Is there any way to prevent this from happening?

Best Regards,
KXA (K. X. Adams)
kxa@kxaphotography.com

• K. X. Adams

Hello Jack,

Thank you for replying so quickly! :slight_smile:

I think I've figured it out. If you:

1. "Like/Share" a WordPress post with The Google+ Plugin, and,

2. Direct that the post be shared **with the same page or profile referenced (by Profile/Page ID number) in the "Google+ Pages and Profiles" section** of Plugin, and

3. Have the radio button for "I want to display my imported posts in widgets and shortcode only" set to "[x] No" (the default setting) under "Import Settings,"

then anything you share from WordPress to Google+ will be re-posted (sometimes more than once) back to WordPress.

In my mind, this is a bug of sorts (even if the Plugin is working "as intended":wink:, because it violates the "Principle of Least Astonishment" and results in behaviour that an average user may not expect.

I believe that there should be a way to restructure the Plugin so that when the Plugin queries the Google+ API for Profile or Page activity, and posts that activity to the WordPress blog, it does not read back and re-post those exact submissions which were originally sent to the Google+ Profile/Page from WordPress.

Many of us are looking for a way to post **to** Google+ from WordPress, as opposed to the other-way-around, and the "Like/Share" button performs that function admirably. However, the "Import" function needs some additional "intelligence" (if possible) to prevent it from acting in the manner described above.

Is there a way -- through the Google+ APIs -- to embed additional metadata "underneath" (i.e., invisibly within) posts sent to Google+ from WordPress? A simple binary true/false flag ("origFromWP" = "True" or "False":wink: would do the trick. Then, later, whenever the Plugin reads in and posts the latest activity **from** Google+ **to** WordPress, it could check for the "origFromWP" flag, know that the Google+ post originated from WordPress in the first place, and skip it...

Best Regards,
    KXA (K. X. Adams)
    KXAPhotography.com

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.