The HUB: Backups, Automate and Reports

Hello,

Recently we start using Automate for updates. Great plugin. During some tests we ran into a couple of things and we have got some questions;

- Sometimes it does not run on the scheduled time or within the 1 hour timeframe. What is the reason for this?
- Are there options for scheduling monthly updates (or maybe in near future)?
- If an error occurs what gonna happen? Will automate try again later or only notify this in report?

The morning after the scheduled updates we configured a developer report to be send. Sometimes this report was not send (or received?), could you check out why not? It's reportId 6059 for geopositie.nl and 6058 for gebrdevries.nl.

Another great option are the backups. We wanna use this for recovery during Automate. We configured it so that only this option is used and under backups disabled the scheduled backups. But it looks like when Automate is run scheduled backups are enabled again. Why is this?

A lot of questions about different plugins but for us all related for our workflow. Hope you can respond and clear a few things up.

Cheers,
Nico

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Menno,

I hope you're fine today and thank you for your question! Let me address them one by one :slight_smile:

- Sometimes it does not run on the scheduled time or within the 1 hour timeframe. What is the reason for this?

We're still working on improving that but the schedule is a bit "fluid" sometimes. Automate will attempt to perform updates based on set schedule, however it's not always able to fire them up at that very exact hour. That's related to the queue. While we got very robust infrastructure powering this all, it's still not "unlimited" and we need to "queue" some tasks in order to provide performance and stability. There might be cases when too many tasks come up at the given time so there might be a delay in such cases.

- Are there options for scheduling monthly updates (or maybe in near future)?

Currently, the schedule is based on the days of the week (and time). There's a lot of improvements and changes coming up to The Hub but I'm not aware of a plans to add "monthly schedule" there. I have passed your suggestion to our developers for further consideration.

- If an error occurs what gonna happen? Will automate try again later or only notify this in report?

It notifies you but it will also try again. If the problem repeats multiple times (I believe 3 times in a row) it will then deactivate itself. You can enable it back, of course, and if the reason of the issue is gone, it will keep working.

The morning after the scheduled updates we configured a developer report to be send. Sometimes this report was not send (or received?), could you check out why not? It's reportId 6059 for geopositie.nl and 6058 for gebrdevries.nl.

I checked that report and it seems there was an error on our end. It doesn't look like a "bug" though, more like a "glitch". I talked to one of our developers about it and he suggested to "re-generate" report and if that happens again, let us know please and our developers will then investigate it further.

Another great option are the backups. We wanna use this for recovery during Automate. We configured it so that only this option is used and under backups disabled the scheduled backups. But it looks like when Automate is run scheduled backups are enabled again. Why is this?

Automate is in fact using Snapshot to perform backup. I'm not sure however if I correctly understand the question. Do you mean that you can see backups in the "Backups" tab of The Hub even though only Automate is doing them? If yes, that's expected because Automate is in fact triggering Managed Backups.

Or do you mean that it actually enables back schedule for "Snapshots" or "Manged backups" in your site's back-end?

Best regards,
    Adam

• Menno

Hello Adam,

Thanks for your reply!

We will monitor the reports and get back to you if it occurs again.

Or do you mean that it actually enables back schedule for "Snapshots" or "Manged backups" in your site's back-end?

Yes. It actually enables back scheduled backups. But we do not need scheduled backups enabled by Snapshot because our servers also have a good backup proces. I will check tomorrow if it occurs again and let you know which sites.

Cheers

• Adam Czajczyk

Hello Menno,

Thanks for the response!

Did you try to disable these two options?

1. in your site's backend: "Schedule - Enable scheduled backups" on "Snapshot -> Managed backups -> Settings" page

2. and in the Hub in "Automate -> Configuration" page for the site: "Auto backup before each update" in "Settings" section.

The point is: Automate itself doesn't perform backup. It's using Snapshot plugin installed on the site to do this so it triggers backup on your site's side. That means that if you do want Automate to backup the site before each update you do need to have Snapshot with its Managed Backus feature enabled. By default Managed Backups always are scheduled after activated. Switching the #1 option should switch schedule off, yet allow Automate to trigger backup upon update. Switching #2 option as well, should actually disable these backups entirely.

Kind regards,
    Adam

• Menno

Hello Adam,

Config is now 1 disabled and 2 enabled.

But this results in automatic activation of managed backups in most cases. Yesterday for all three sites backups activated (for now we do 3 a day). I disabled them again. Today only 2 out of 3 auto enabled: machinaaltimmerbedrijfdalko.nl and gebrdevries.nl activated. geopositie.nl did not.

The point is: Automate itself doesn't perform backup. It's using Snapshot plugin installed on the site to do this so it triggers backup on your site's side. That means that if you do want Automate to backup the site before each update you do need to have Snapshot with its Managed Backus feature enabled. By default Managed Backups always are scheduled after activated.

So for Automate to do a backup before update managed backups need to be enabled?

Switching the #1 option should switch schedule off, yet allow Automate to trigger backup upon update.

Looks like Automate then activates managed backups to be able to do a backup but when its ready it does not disable it again. Can you look at this process?

Cheers,
    Menno

• Predrag Dubajic

Hi Menno,

Automate uses Managed Backups option from Snapshots in order to perform backups before updates, so you need to have this option enabled in Snapshot > Managed Backups panel on your site.
    However, Managed Backups on their own don't do anything until you either set up scheduled backups in there, or you use Automate.

What I want to say is that, there's no need to disable Managed Backups after Automate has finished, if there are no scheduled backups configured in there it will not do anything, it will just sit there and wait for the next Automate to run before performing the backup.

Looks like Automate then activates managed backups to be able to do a backup but when its ready it does not disable it again. Can you look at this process?

So this part confuses me a bit, based on the info above, are you saying that after Automate has started it actually enabled Scheduled Backups back on for you?

Best regards,
    Predrag

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.