The hub connecting to staging site

Hi, I am maintaining a few websites using The Hub.

I want to first test out changes using automator on a staging site.

I have set up a staging site on my clients sites let's call them site 1 and site 2. The staging sites both requires the user to login and it has two factor authentication enabled.

After automator has tried to update my sites this is what the report says.

Site 1: Failed but it has taken images before and after except for home page. The fact it can see the other pages implies The Hub has successfully logged in.

Site 2: Failed. All before and images are of the log in screen, implying The Hub couldn't log in.

Question 1. Why can't the hub log into the staging site on site 2? The fact The Hub can't log in is why the update failed.

Question 2: The before and after images shown in site 1 report are of real pages not just log in screen (except for home page) does this mean the hub did log in to the staging site?

All the before and after images are in the report section of the hub.

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Update: I’ve just noticed site 1 didn’t have permalinks set properly so now I can see that on both sites The Hub can’t log in. And two factor authentication is off.

So that leaves me with the question, is it possible for the hub to login to see the front end of a staging site?

Thanks.

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Karen ,

I’m sorry to hear about this issue.

Can you try to log out and login into WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin on those staging sites and then see if you can update plugins from the Hub (I checked and right now directly from Hub updates are throwing the same error). Let me know how it goes

If that won’t help can you disable temporary password protection on the staging and see if there will be any difference? This type of protection should not be affecting connection to Hub, but I would also want to check that.

Hub and Automate are connected through the WPMU DEV Dashboard plugin to sites and 2FA in Hummingbird doesn’t affect that.

kind regards,

Kasia

• Karen
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Thank you for clarifying the expected behaviour. That helps a lot.

I have done as you asked but it had no effect. I did some debugging, looking for a plugin conflict and I found that if I disabled the staging plugin I am using (WP staging) then The Hub can update the staging site Ok. When I activate the staging plugin, The Hub can’t update the site.

So I have a temporary solution to just disable the plugin.

But – there’s always a but…

I now see on another site that even with this plugin enabled The Hub can connect and update. I’ve disabled all plugins so the sites have exactly the same plugins but the behaviour is different.

Could this be a php setting? Could it be some sore of time out?

Thanks.

• Patrick Freitas
    • Staff

Hi Karen

Hope you are doing well.

Thank you for the Update, I installed the plugin on my end, it was a vanilla installation, only the plugins and theme from WordPress installation, then I installed the WP Staging plugin and create and create a new staging site, uploaded some out of dates plugin and tried to force the update on HUB, it failed as well.

I checked the header response and it is 200 which means should be fine, I will be forwarding this to our developers and they can check why this is happening.

I now see on another site that even with this plugin enabled The Hub can connect and update. I’ve disabled all plugins so the sites have exactly the same plugins but the behaviour is different.

Could this be a php setting? Could it be some sore of time out?

The site that I’m using is running on Nginx PHP 7.3 using the latest version of WordPress, are you using a different environment between sites?

Best Regards,

Patrick Freitas

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.