The Hub Plugin Update Screen Empty and Failed Update

I'm getting an empty update screen in The Hub when trying to update a 3rd party plugin. When pressing the update button it also fails the update, giving this error message: cURL error 51: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Julian,

So sorry for the inconvenience you are having. cURL error 51 means the remote server's SSL certificate or SSH md5 fingerprint was deemed not OK. So chances are there that your third party plugin requires a specific way to update that plugin or requires an authentication key. Can you please tell us which plugin were you trying to update? Is that a paid plugin? If yes, can you please upload a copy of that plugin to any common file sharing service like Dropbox, Google Drive etc. and share the download link through our secure contact form here? http://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/

Subject: "Attn: Rupok"
    - Download Link
    - Link back to this thread for reference
    - Any other relevant URLs

Select "I have a different question" for your topic. This and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

We can tell you better if we can regenerate the same issue for our accounts. Please let us know the details I requested above. I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Julian,

I'm having this issue sporadically with 3rd party plugins and it seems like after waiting a while, I can update them.

Third party plugins has it's own update routines, and it may not work as expected, or you may find such glitches. Could you please mention what all 3rd party plugins did you try? So that we could have a better idea regarding this, and if possible, bring this is developers attention if required.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Julian,

Thank you for providing more information - I've send message to developers asking what would be cause of this issue (this error shows with not updated CURL SSL certificates on server - but on your site it sometimes work).
    As soon I get more info I'll update your thread.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Rupok
    • Support Ninja

Hi Julian,

Thanks for confirming that the update went fine. Can you please confirm which plugin did you try this time? We will try that one again and the result with give us valuable insight regarding this issue.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue as soon as possible.

Have a nice day. Cheers!
    Rupok

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Julian,

Hope you are doing good today. :slight_smile:

cURL error 51: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

Normally the mentioned issue always relates to server side, since you can confirm that it's up to date, the issue seems to be an odd one.

Could you also check for you server logs for any other related errors that occur when you try to update the plugin via the Hub.

Also, please enable debug mode, to have a better idea about this issue, open your wp-config.php file located in your root directory, and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);

In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

After making the above changes, please try replicate the issue, the related error will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/ directory.

Please attach these in your next reply in txt format file, so that we could give a closer look. You can use cloud services like Dropbox, or Google Drive to share the log files. You can find more details about debugging here.

Please let us know how that goes. Have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Julian,

Thank you for sharing the log files, the debug.log files doesn't provide much clue regarding this issue, however I'm able to notice the following in your server log:

[Wed Mar 01 12:08:13.213878 2017] [ssl:warn] [pid 826198:tid 140558348941280] AH01909: ****:443:0 server certificate does NOT include an ID which matches the server name
    [Wed Mar 01 12:51:20.259350 2017] [ssl:warn] [pid 826198:tid 140558348941280] AH01909: ****:443:0 server certificate does NOT include an ID which matches the server name

It seems like your certificate, and the key isn't matching, could you please regenerate these, and see whether this isn't causing the plugin to update through the Hub, other than that, the log files doesn't point anything else that could be causing this issue.

If you aren't sure on how to make these changes, would recommend you to get in touch with your host with these log files, so that they would be able to help get you resoled faster.

Please do let us know how that goes, have a nice day. :slight_smile:

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

• Julian
      • Fake Russian Bot

Hey Nithin,

Those warnings mean there's no SSL certificate installed on my site, which shouldn't be a problem and should be unrelated to this issue.

My host asks how the Hub installs updates. Does it send the request through my site or does it send the request directly to the external site? The cURL error means that the connection between my site and the site the Hub is connecting to doesn't have a valid SSL certificate. They say the Hub may check for a valid SSL certificate, and if there isn't one, it may cause some problems. So they recommend disabling that check in the plugin. Hope this makes sense :grimacing:

• Nithin
    • Support Wizard

Hi Julian,

Thanks for providing further info, I'm pinging the developer so that he would be able to give you a better idea about this issue, and also provide more info about your following questions, on how the Hub interacts with your site.

Please do note that developers work round the clock with many critical issues, and hence have a slow response time. Either myself, or the developer will keep you posted asap.

Kind Regards,
    Nithin

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.