The Hub Site Updates

The hub won't update most of my sites. I've worked out that it fails with sites where the default wp admin address has been changed - which we routinely do using iThemes Security (formerly Better WP Security).

Is there a way around this issue? Anyway of telling the hub what admin address to use?

Thanks,

Ken

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Ken,

At the moment there is no solution for that :slight_frown: - this was reported to our developers, we have tested multiple plugins with this feature and none is compatible with HUB updates.
    Our developers are working on this - I've asked about the progress, I'm awaiting for the response.

kind regards,
    Kasia

• keneastwood
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

OK. Disappointing though. iThemes Security is a very popular security plugin (the most popular wp security plugin). Would be good to see WPMUDEV applications being compatible with such highly popular plugins.

Please do all you can to escalate. Infinite WP, the well established solution that I guess you are trying to succeed with the hub, works just fine with different WP Admin addresses.
    Thanks.

Ken

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Ken,

Could you enable support access to one of the sites where updates are failing? We had few updates recently and I tested right now updating plugins from HUB with two plugins that are changing login and wp-admin ulrs (also iThemes) and I was able to update plugins without problem directly from the HUB.
    I checked WPMU DEV plugin and plugin from WordPress repository.

To enable support access you can follow this guide here:
    https://premium.wpmudev.org/docs/getting-started/getting-support/#chapter-5

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Ken,

It looks like support access is enabled but it is not working - it throws me error

ERROR: Sorry, there was an error. Please be sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled in your browser and try again.

usually we can login to sites with iThemes activated, so this is probably one of the settings in it that prevents access. It might be also reason why updates are not working on your site.
    In this case could you please send in the following via our secure contact form https://premium.wpmudev.org/contact/#i-have-a-different-question :

- Mark to my attention, the subject line should contain only: ATTN: Kasia Swiderska
    - Do not include anything else in the subject line, doing so may delay our response due to how email filtering works.
    - Link back to this thread
    - Include WordPress admin access details (login address, username & password)
    - Include any relevant URLs for your site

IMPORTANT: Please make sure you select "I have a different question" for your topic, so it doesn't go back to the forums - this and the subject line ensure that it gets assigned to me.

Please confirm here that you send those credentials

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Ken,

Thank you for the credentials. I tried to replicate settings of iThemes from your installation on my site and see if I can replicate issues with update, but I could not.
    There is also no problem with accessing my site when iTheme is active and login url is changed.

On your site there is something that might be a reason for this issues - when I try to login it shows me reCaptcha "Are you human"

but that one is not coming from iThemes security (its only in pro version).
    By looking at other plugins installed on your site my first suspicion was WP-SpamShield - but since this plugin is no longer available on wordpress.org I could not test this on my site.

Is it possible you could deactivate it and see if then with iThemes active you are able to update plugins from HUB? I'm thinking that combination of those two plugins might be problem.

Do you maybe have also a staging site for this one? Where we could do more extensive tests?

kind regards,
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Ken,

It isn't always present - I assume it's shown when a login is attempted from a new IP?

Yes, that would be it then. It might explain why support access is not working.

Do you have a site which needs update and uses also iThemes? At this moment we would need to debug that - maybe there is specific error that is causing this problem.
    It should be then show in debug.log file.
    To enable debug mode, open your wp-config.php file and look for define(‘WP_DEBUG’, false);. Change it to:
    define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    In order to enable the error logging to a file on the server you need to add yet one more similar line:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );

In this case the errors will be saved to a debug.log log file inside the /wp-content/directory.

Depending on whether you want your errors to be only logged or also displayed on the screen you should also have this line there, immediately after the line mentioned above:

define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Two more lines to add are:

define('WP_DEBUG', true);
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

/* WPMUDEV Dashboard settings */
    define('WPMUDEV_API_DEBUG', true);
    define('WPMUDEV_API_DEBUG_ALL', true);

The wp-config.php is located in your WordPress root directory. It’s the same file where the database configuration settings are. You will have to access it by FTP or SFTP in order to edit it.

After this is setup then try update plugins from HUB - it should generate errors.

I would need then to see content of the debug.log file - so please upload it to service like a Dropbox and paste link here.

kind regards
    Kasia

• Kasia Swiderska
    • Support nomad

Hello Ken,

Can you enable Automate on any of those sites? If trying update from HUB doesn't work and does not leave any trace on your site then we might have more luck with Automate as then I will have access to logs from our side.

Let me then know which site was access activated (if you dont want to publish site url here, you can send me email with urls like before).

kind regards,
    Kasia

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.