The language describing Snapshot leads to inaccurate expectation concerning whole database backups.

There are three lines in the description of Snapshot that lead folks to expect something it doesn’t do. They are:

Which you can then restore with one easy click And which will allow you to not just backup all your regular WordPress stuff (posts, pages, comments, taxonomies etc.) but also every table of your database, for every plugin and theme?

Create as many ‘Time Machine’ snapshots of you entire database (or individual tables) as you want:

Select as many, or as few, database tables as you like:

As we’ve seen from the messages in the last week, folks are confused about this part, as it implies that they will be able to backup their entire database. It is not the case with the current version of the plugin.

I advocate that the page be changed to reflect that it backs up only the tables for a single site. Of course the wording in the plugin itself should be changed as well, such as with:

Include all database tables in this Snapshot. This will automatically include new tables.

As I activated it on the first site, I had assumed it would add others as I added them to the network. I believe my assumption to be in line with what that says; “all database tables” is clear language. As such, it should be changed to reflect what is actually happening.

• Timothy
    • Chief Pigeon

Hey there.

I believe the wording refers to the fact that you can set in single site it handles all the sites tables.

In multisite you have to setup a snapshot for each site. But it’s still possible to do that for all sites.

I will of couse pass your feedback along.

Thanks.

• maiki
    • Design Lord, Child of Thor

I believe the wording refers to the fact that you can set in single site it handles all the sites tables.

Right, that is what it should say, and you were able to clarify that in one sentence. But it says database, which does not imply only one site. So please pass along that it should be changed to.incorporate the explanation you added. ^_^

• PC
    • WPMU DEV Initiate

Hello @maiki,

Thanks a lot for bringing this issue to our attention and @timothy for pinging me on it.

I have sent a note to the writing team who is preparing a new copy of the document for this plugin and will ask them to make sure these issues are covered.

Thanks a lot for being a great WPMU DEV member and taking time to report this. Sending a few rep points your way !

Cheers, PC

Support and Stuff

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.