The login with Facebook and Twitter buttons are not working

I created an event and when I click "I'm attending' it shows four options to login/register. The 'Login with Facebook' button doesn't do anything, nothing pops up, nothing changes. The 'Login with Twitter' does bring up a Twitter pop up window, briefly flashes the login/password fields but almost immediately switches to the "Whoa there! There is no request token for this page..." message.

I've looked at the settings and I think I've done everything that seems obvious to me but evidently I've missed something. Any ideas please??

p.s. By the way...why can't I upload a picture here but I can once the thread is started? Just curious!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MSanchez,

Thank you for the additional input and for the screen shot as well which is certainly helpful.

As a matter of fact you will need apps for both Facebook and Twitter to get this working properly.

Indeed you should follow the installation instructions and get the keys for both Facebook and Twitter.

Please let me know how you make out after implementing the app keys and other related items.

Looking forward to hearing from you in any event.

Cheers, Joe

• MSanchez
    • Flash Drive

Hi Joe, what do you mean by the "i"?? I've seen that reference in a couple of threads but have no idea what it means...I'm afraid it's something real obvious and I'll feel stupid after you point it out but, please do enlighten me!

Thanks!

• MSanchez
    • Flash Drive

THAT 'i'!!! aah...that was a good laugh mate! I knew it was something so obvious!! Hey, at any rate, I had another thread going about the same thing and I figured it out with the help of another newbie like me. Two heads are indeed better than one!!

The outstanding problem was the request token. Nobody was able to tell me what was wrong with it...here is the solution...

For the Staff's and Developer's reference...here are a few steps you might add to your manual/documentation because I didn't see it anywhere (and if it is, I apologize but maybe it should be easier to find).

To get rid of that 'Whoa there! There is no request token for this page' message, do what zacfabian discovered with a little trial and error...

1) Clear cache/cookies
    2) Create your app as instructed
    3) Go to 'Oauth tool' tab in the Twitter App and copy URI in the 'Request URI' field and paste it into the 'Callback URL' field in the 'Settings' tab
    4) Select 'Access' level (read-only or read and write) as necessary
    5) Save and proceed as instructed.

Thanks again zacfabian!!!

Thanks for following up Joe!

• aecnu
    • WP Unicorn

Greetings MSanchez,

Thank you for letting us know and for putting your bit of instructions there which is certainly appreciated.

I do admit I have never thought of doing this in this manner and when I check to see what is going on there on the Twitter side the 2 URL's do not match in my setup - but the Twitter app works fine. I admit that I do not get it but if it works for you I am happy to know about it for sure.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Cheers, Joe

Thank NAME, for their help.

Let NAME know exactly why they deserved these points.

Gift a custom amount of points.